Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:31 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Are you seriously suggesting we clog up our criminal justice system to have our state/district attorneys prosecute someone for a FELONY OFFENSE because he threw down an envelope on a table and yells in the workplace? Yeah, I am sure most people are excited about paying to prosecute those offenses instead of say, legitimate crimes that pose a real threat to the community. There is something called civil litigation that allows for damages that is a far more effective method of solving these sorts of issues if they persist in creating a hostile work environment.

People have bad days in the workplace. This guy hasn't done anything criminal or shown a pattern of bad behavior.
Work place violence creates significant social and medical issues because a bosses behavior, for the most part, forces the underlings to internalize and bottle up what they would otherwise like to respond with but they live in fear of loosing their jobs so yes I do think it should go to criminal proceedings because there is a power imbalance in that situation, it is not the same thing as two US citizens on the street with equal rights.

In these sorts of situations one person has leverage over the other so there NEEDS to be legal projection from this sort of behavior. Yelling at someone is assault and throwing something is aggravated assault, if it hits the person it becomes battery.

Criminal proceedings are the only leverage that an employee has against this sort of behavior because if you tell them to stf u then you are no longer above board and you will simply be fired with mouths to feed etc etc.

As an employee with little to no leverage you have to play it smart and make sure you are not the one out on your a$$ or having an ulser in a few years being forced to internalize this guys poor behavior, it feels good to tell someone to stf u without having to worry about sever consequences it relives stress and puts the negative response on the offender rather than on your kids spouse dog etc. But then your fired ...

I agree with you if its a once in a blue moon bad day and they apologize later then its fine, but if they are indignant and smug when you ask for an apology and this happens even occasionally I would move for criminal proceedings and a jury would hang they guy since most people can relate to being a powerless pee on, they are not going to side with the boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 05:42 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets look at the total picture, not just what the OP feels was so bad.

Apparently the person that yelled at her, did not handle an important piece of mail in a timely manner, and could have been as serious as loosing a nice piece of business for the company. This person got chewed out royally for not doing his job, by someone much further up the chain of command. He came down and found the piece of mail that was responsible for his problems, and yelled at the person that handles the mail as a way of coming down from his own a** chewing for not doing his job.

OP, I have seen this type of thing happen many times over my life in the business world. It is not unusual when someone screws up, and have been royally eaten out for a serious problem caused by not getting his mail as he should have, and possibly even a warning in his file. You were just the first person he could blame and take it out on, instead of blaming himself for not doing his job and checking the mail and handling a problem.

I will bet, that he was chewed out much worse than the OP, and that is the reason he had a hair trigger as they say, and knew he was at fault, but just had to unload on someone, and the OP was just handy. From the way this went down, I would be willing to bet that he got it a lot worse than you.
Maybe he should have filed charges against who ever chewed him out. Who sends important correspondence through snail mail anyways unless its a legal summons or the like anyways. Even if it was a nice piece of business they should not have lost it over a day or two, if they did that means that the market they are in is drastically saturated and they should think about changing their business model.

If a client can find someone else comparable in a days time then you need to start planning to go out of business because you are becoming obsolete.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
If this manager was simply too lazy to peer inside his mail slot to check for incoming mail, then it's hard to feel sorry for him. Having just a wee bit of curiosity about any kind of correspondence , whether on paper, phone call or e-mail, would have solved this problem, without any silly confrontations.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerchildwoman View Post
It doesn't matter who I am - treating people poorly is not acceptable.
How many jobs have you had in your life? Is this the first time you have encountered "unfair" treatment? If so, you are very lucky and should try to be more grateful. If you're new, you're probably on trial employment. Make too much of a fuss about stuff like this and you'll soon find yourself looking for another job.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:51 AM

564 posts, read 873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Work place violence creates significant social and medical issues because a bosses behavior, for the most part, forces the underlings to internalize and bottle up what they would otherwise like to respond with but they live in fear of loosing their jobs so yes I do think it should go to criminal proceedings because there is a power imbalance in that situation, it is not the same thing as two US citizens on the street with equal rights.

In these sorts of situations one person has leverage over the other so there NEEDS to be legal projection from this sort of behavior. Yelling at someone is assault and throwing something is aggravated assault, if it hits the person it becomes battery.

Criminal proceedings are the only leverage that an employee has against this sort of behavior because if you tell them to stf u then you are no longer above board and you will simply be fired with mouths to feed etc etc.

As an employee with little to no leverage you have to play it smart and make sure you are not the one out on your a$$ or having an ulser in a few years being forced to internalize this guys poor behavior, it feels good to tell someone to stf u without having to worry about sever consequences it relives stress and puts the negative response on the offender rather than on your kids spouse dog etc. But then your fired ...

I agree with you if its a once in a blue moon bad day and they apologize later then its fine, but if they are indignant and smug when you ask for an apology and this happens even occasionally I would move for criminal proceedings and a jury would hang they guy since most people can relate to being a powerless pee on, they are not going to side with the boss.
Yelling in the workplace and throwing down an envelope is hardly workplace violence nor has there been a criminal offense.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:50 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
How it should be and how it is are two different things. You have seen how it is, time to make your decision on how you move forward. You can not force him to be nice to you, short of derogatory names you are SOL. Deal with it or quit, simple choice.
Of course if you quit there is no guarantee you will not run into an even bigger jerk at the next job.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 AM

57 posts, read 63,868 times
Just curious, but how long have you been at this job because this guy hasn't been getting his mail for all this time? What a jackass.

I had a higher up, but not a boss make a snide comment about me and it got back to the boss. He was fired. I miss that job even though the boss himself would blow up sometimes. He had my back when it counted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment