Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 07:49 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,910,797 times

Advertisements

Two days as a merry maid. This was hit the ground running and dripping sweat constantly. The last house I helped clean had pubic hairs all over the bathroom top to bottom. It was so gross I wondered if they trained monkeys in there. After we finished I told them I was history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 PM

8,307 posts, read 3,899,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSoul- View Post
Mine was four days. I had talked to this company for a month and told them what I was looking for in a company and was specific that I did not like to be micromanaged. Not only did they have me do work that was not related to the position that I applied for, but they micromanaged me. I told the boss, "sorry, I'm out"

Luckily, I had another job in two weeks.
Two days. Started a contract analysis job, the office space was filthy, the assignment was not a fit with my experience, and in general it was a depressing gig. So walked off and never looked back. Actually got paid for those 2 days which surprised me.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:48 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,128,253 times
Two weeks and four days. I started a job and they claimed certain Fridays were pay days. I asked if I would be getting paid that day or if they would hold two weeks pay, they claimed I would get paid. That Friday passed and nothing. Nothing even said to me. I was going to play it cool and wait the next two weeks out. The job just seemed worse and worse. A few coworkers brought up that they noticed I wasn't given a check. I said eff that and left at the end of my shift. I think they knew I was going to leave, because no one called me the next morning and they seemed to notice I was annoyed after lunch. They did send me the check like two months later with all 14 days. Then in like March I got my W-2.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:53 AM

1,177 posts, read 1,128,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
My shortest, 0 day. Never bother to show up to work. My second shortest, 1 day.
*Golf clap* There's some jobs I wish I never bothered to show up for. I had one really well paying job that keep interviewing me. I got to the third interview and agreed to a fourth one out of desperation. Out of not wanting to moving things around, not wanting to lose time paid at my old job, and just annoyance that point I never showed up. There's a few interviews I never bothered to show up for last time I was unemployed, but I think most of those were good choices.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:35 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,680,818 times
Mine was 1 week. Really was excited about the job, then I found out the company was in the process of being sold and word was the new owners were going to let me go after the sale is final. (I actually spoke with the buyer and he said he already had his own people) I was so mad, they basically just needed me to fill in during the meantime! After I found out, I let the hiring lady hear it(who didn't mention any of it during interview) she knew I was right and didn't have much to say. Told her it was my last day.

My husbands shortest was 1 day, it was awhile back when he got a job at a fast food place. Haha the discount was good.. But the job sucked.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 4,409 times
One day. I was 21 and was laid off and needed to find another job. I went to a temp agency and got a job being one of those people who hold up a sign telling people driving by that they can park in this lot for an event that was in town. It was a February afternoon in to evening, in Michigan. I hated every second of it. I told them I'd be back the next day but I said the hell with that. But soon after I got called back to my old job and I've been there for nearly 10 years now. So, it all worked out.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:44 AM

28 posts, read 32,478 times
Shortest = 1 day. Receptionist at tech company...horrible commute and job.
Second shortest = 2 weeks. IT Engineer at marketing company. Lied about responsibilities and knew it was mistake first day.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:45 PM

4,001 posts, read 4,087,564 times
About 6 hours.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:40 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,175,814 times
1 week.

Company lied just about everything during the interview process and I wasn't going to stick around and work for a company like that.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:05 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,492,241 times
Just one terribly long 11 hour day as my first day at Target. I was hired to work in the electronics section, but my shift started by the supervisor putting me on a cash register AT THE FRONT OF THE STORE (during the holiday season...) to shadow and train with another clerk. However, the clerk was having none of it and was constantly complaining to me and her manager that this was bull**** and that she didn't get her break yet. She "trained" me for about 15 minutes then said, "sorry, but you're on your own, I want my damn break, I don't get paid enough for this ****!" So I was left front of store cashier during holiday season and had no idea what I was doing. I was nearly in tears. People in my line also wanted to do all kinds of stuff, open credit cards, buy gift cards, use WIC and foodstamp benefits. I'm pretty sure I let people get stuff for free because I wasn't sure how to process credit/debit cards lol.

I could go on and on, but the rest of the day involved being tossed into other various situations with no training, not getting the breaks they stressed so strongly in orientation, (I worked 8 hours straight before I was allowed my first break), and eventually I was asked to stay late to help close the store.... I got home and I just started making weird electronic beeping noises I was so distraught. I didn't show up another day.

EDIT: And FWIW, I didn't even spend any time in the electronics section of which that was the section I was hired for....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment