Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 08:00 PM

997 posts, read 936,615 times

Advertisements

I agree that it is just nosiness. People are interested in what you are eating. I will confess that I have found other peoples eating habits to be interesting. I observed but did not comment unless I thought it was ok.

I never liked it if someone said 'you shouldn't be eating that' or made a judgment about what I ate. I wasn't judgmental in my thoughts but I would wonder why people ate weird things. Or I would wonder about the preparation time and things like that. I would look at the way they packaged their meals, if it was very organized that was interesting. Brown bag, or lunch container? I would wonder why the person wanted to bring their many tupperware items to work and bring them back home everyday. If the production was very elaborate I would wonder where they found the time or desire to prepare such a feast.

I was conscious of what I ate in front of other people. There was a time when I wouldn't eat in front of people ever. I got over that but it was a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 10:28 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
I have tried to understand the myriad of possible reasons people like to do this, but since it is so prevalent, I need answers from the folks who actually do it.
Whether I am taking food from the microwave or just pulling a bag from the fridge, there is always someone right there leaning over to see what I have. And it is usually accompanied by some comment about yumminess or how they wish they had something different than what they brought.

It just feels invasive. What if I had brought leftovers from my cannibal feast? Now I have to share that info with you? And so what if I have a really big salad. Must you guys have to say something about it?
I'll take this over the coworkers who won't shut up about their diets. Or the ones at potlucks who circle like vultures and once they make a choice provide a running commentary on their food that puts sports announcers to shame. Yes, I've witnessed these things.

Old 09-08-2016, 05:03 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'll take this over the coworkers who won't shut up about their diets. Or the ones at potlucks who circle like vultures and once they make a choice provide a running commentary on their food that puts sports announcers to shame. Yes, I've witnessed these things.
great post!!

the organic or grass fed people can be the most annoying people at work.. they will try to shame others about what they eat... (this happened in my past)

food is a part of our lives,,people talk about food

here is my suggestion to the op
take a stand.. "i don't judge your food do not judge mine"

Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 AM

924 posts, read 751,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post

I never liked it if someone said 'you shouldn't be eating that' or made a judgment about what I ate.
Not work-related, but that just reminded me so much of what it was like going out to eat with my mom's dad and stepmother.....I remember one time when they'd taken my sister and I out for brunch, and had this big discussion on how I'd eaten my hash browns before my omelette. (at least, that's how I remember it)

Old 09-08-2016, 10:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Not much to do while waiting for your food to cook outside of stare at the wall or engage in small talk. These people are doing the latter.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:07 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,456 times
Marachino ... you shared what you think about this subject with us here on the internet - why not say the same thing to your coworkers in the office? In the instance of ensuring all get the same message at the same time, you could even hold a 'meeting' in the lunch room to tell people how you feel about their comments, etc. once and for all. Explain to them that it is a personal preference that you be left alone when it comes to what you eat and bring for lunch, etc. and that their comments irk you. You should be ready, particularly after all this time, to confront the issue since it seems to make you 'so' uncomfortable that your resentment is probably even affecting your job performance (if you brood about it after lunch each day for a while) or maybe how you feel about coworkers who are working on projects with you.

They obviously just don't understand how you feel since it is not an attitude they perhaps encounter too often but I bet that would 'fix the problem' and you will be able to cook/eat in peace from that point on. You just might have to actually say something in order to get them to stop. One hopes though that each and every one of your coworkers will also see that this is the ONLY area in which you are to be treated differently than the rest of the group - and not hold your admission against you.

Or you could just smile and tolerate what you see as personal affronts but which others apparently see as friendly office conversation.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:33 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
If this is your biggest problem at work, consider yourself lucky!

It's just small talk. Either participate or be considered the office weirdo. Right or wrong, many office cultures will discuss things like what people are eating for lunch, weekend plans, and whether they have children/pets. In general, it's easier to just fit in, even if you have to divulge secrets such as the fact that you're eating leftover lasagna for lunch.

Breathing in the aroma of the lasagna as it come out of the microwave during lunchtime. mMMmm, smells good . Other than saying that "it smells good" and maybe saying "enjoy your lunch", that's it. No lectures from me about carbs, fat, etc. Sometimes I'll get a slice of cake - if offered. If I'm able to resist - all the better (health wise for me). If I happen to bring in something like donuts or Danish pastries I'll just mention there's something in the breakroom, or they'll see it. If they don't want it I certainly won't hold it against them.

So, if someone like me comments it's not often but it's usually because it smells really good and you could look at it like "small talk". Staring at someone while they're eating - no. Do not do that.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:39 AM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdr22 View Post
Agree, it is irritating and I always thought lunch was supposed to be a Break, a break from office politics, peer pressure, pc crap in general. May have lost a few jobs/ladder climbs over my tendency to flee the scene entirely, to eat at a park, far corner of the company cafe, etc.

There is no good answer here, no logical explanation for 'lunch relaxation interference'.

I've tried that on a few occasions and had an audience of squirrels and birds and it almost looked like some of those squirrels were drooling. Is that possible?

Old 09-08-2016, 12:58 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
I totally agree that people are food obsessed. And to be honest, most all of the women here are overweight. So I guess seeing my salad is a reflection of what they are not doing.
I am not avoiding the team because I don't want to EAT ANY CAKE?! I just don't like cake in the middle of the afternoon.
I will keep eating my big azz salads.
I have the same problem. People are food obsessed and obsessed with the fact I lost a ton of weight. They think its requires something "exotic" Really, I eat salads everyday and lost 40+ lbs in a year. People really feel the need to see what I am eating (usually a salad, veggies, fruit, etc.) and want to comment on it. "Are you eating rabbit food again?" Why, yes I am!

Old 09-08-2016, 03:20 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,663,818 times
My husband likes spicy food so he would take a sandwich with lots of spice to work. His (very fat) boss wanted people to bring him food so he didn't have to spend his own money on lunch. After the boss also started to demand rides to work so he wouldn't have to spend his own money on gas, we decided it was time to fix a lunch just for him. Lots and lots of hot peppers. Once the boss' boss figured out the food extortion, he was terminated and all could get back to business.

Be glad you only have to worry about your own lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment