Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 03:25 PM

226 posts, read 198,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
be happy, we had one guy that would pick up your sandwich and start eating on it
I would smack it right out of his hand, what an idiot. We also have a guy here who steals food. He's 68 years old, makes a good salary...why take our sandwiches and muffins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm like you. I'm flabbergasted at how much other people pay attention to the food a person is eating or not eating. What he eats, what he adds to it (or not), how much of it he eats, how fast he eats, what your opinion of it is, etc. I think it's a judgmental thing sometimes. I can't tell you the number of times people have said to me, after the fact, "how much Martha had eaten" at lunch and shouldn't she be on diet? Or whatever.

I had a "friend" criticizing my lunch one day (something like the quantity or what it was or something). I sat there thinking....between the two of us, I'm the healthy one while she has something medically wrong with seemingly all parts of her body, my bloodwork was an example of normalcy, my weight was normal, I was clearly much more energetic, I had a happier disposition. She was riddled with medical problems, a melancholy complaining person. I thought about telling her, "If you want to be healthy and happy, like I am, I suggest you start copying my eating patterns." But I didn't.

I rarely notice what anyone else is eating, how much of it, or anything else.
I never look at another's food because I hate it when it's done to me. Plus, I simply have other things to focus on.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'll take this over the coworkers who won't shut up about their diets. Or the ones at potlucks who circle like vultures and once they make a choice provide a running commentary on their food that puts sports announcers to shame. Yes, I've witnessed these things.
Yes, that too. ALL of the women here are constantly on diets...and yet they never lose any weight. Ever. Kinda funny. I have to listen about it when I go into the kitchen for water or coffee. There are at minimum 3 ladies talking about diets, food, alcohol and clothes at all times. Never anything actually interesting...

Old 09-08-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
Marachino ... you shared what you think about this subject with us here on the internet - why not say the same thing to your coworkers in the office? In the instance of ensuring all get the same message at the same time, you could even hold a 'meeting' in the lunch room to tell people how you feel about their comments, etc. once and for all. Explain to them that it is a personal preference that you be left alone when it comes to what you eat and bring for lunch, etc. and that their comments irk you. You should be ready, particularly after all this time, to confront the issue since it seems to make you 'so' uncomfortable that your resentment is probably even affecting your job performance (if you brood about it after lunch each day for a while) or maybe how you feel about coworkers who are working on projects with you.

They obviously just don't understand how you feel since it is not an attitude they perhaps encounter too often but I bet that would 'fix the problem' and you will be able to cook/eat in peace from that point on. You just might have to actually say something in order to get them to stop. One hopes though that each and every one of your coworkers will also see that this is the ONLY area in which you are to be treated differently than the rest of the group - and not hold your admission against you.

Or you could just smile and tolerate what you see as personal affronts but which others apparently see as friendly office conversation.
Sure. I stopped being able to go home for lunch when I got married and moved 1.5 hours away from work...another issue, that one!

If I take my food right to my desk, there is very little of it happening. People don't come over and lean over me while I am working. Yay!

Old 09-08-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
My husband likes spicy food so he would take a sandwich with lots of spice to work. His (very fat) boss wanted people to bring him food so he didn't have to spend his own money on lunch. After the boss also started to demand rides to work so he wouldn't have to spend his own money on gas, we decided it was time to fix a lunch just for him. Lots and lots of hot peppers. Once the boss' boss figured out the food extortion, he was terminated and all could get back to business.

Be glad you only have to worry about your own lunch.
OMG, that is awesome.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:57 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,141 times
If you are burning popcorn and heating up garlic mussels marinated in seaweed they may be trying to subtly tell you something other than making chit chat.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:14 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
I hate it too when co-workers are nosy about what I ate for lunch. Why on earth do they care? I wouldn't mind if the question was asked one time, but when they ask every freaking day I want to slap them in the face.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:59 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
I cannot stand when people comment on my food.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I jump on both sides of the fence. I hate when people comment on my food (unless I bring it up), and I don't usually comment on other people's food.That being said, I have made generic comments like "something smells good in here" when we're having a lunch meeting. Sometimes that invites more conversation, sometimes not. I don't mind talking about food if someone brings up a food topic. In fact, I kind of like talking about food. I hate talking about MY food because I usually have something different and strange and it usually invites negative comments. I learned long ago I apparently don't eat like "normal" people. Yeah, you might not like what I brought, but shut up about it. I'm not insulting your choices. In any case, I don't like a lot of attention centered on me, so I doubt I'd be thrilled with a conversation about my food choice (even if everyone thought it was great). I do like to talk about food in general.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:42 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
Yes, that too. ALL of the women here are constantly on diets...and yet they never lose any weight. Ever. Kinda funny. I have to listen about it when I go into the kitchen for water or coffee. There are at minimum 3 ladies talking about diets, food, alcohol and clothes at all times. Never anything actually interesting...
You must have worked with me at my last job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment