U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 10:42 PM

50 posts, read 30,281 times

Advertisements

I did this in March of this year and I'm glad I did. My head was not in a good place and I got out before it could get worse. I felt much better after quitting. I'm usually even-keeled but there were three harassing and rude coworkers I had to work directly with and after a year of being there, I finally said enough is enough. I was bullied in high school for a year and a half before switching schools. I really think companies and schools need to address bullying and be more proactive. I feel it's often overlooked and the bullied person is seen as weak, when usually they are just too easy going or nice to fight back.

Do you think I defeated my bullies by quitting my job and not taking it to the next level? In a way, I think I did, because they were already short staffed and I made their job harder by leaving so I am sure they had to bring people from other areas of the office over to help them. I also think they were defeated because although I quit my job, I basically said I'm finished with you and don't need you.

Please share your experiences and what you were thinking at the time you were being bullied/targeted.

Last edited by Madden17; 09-07-2016 at 11:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,581,776 times
I am currently dealing with discrimination and harassment on the job. I refuse to call it bullying, although the main person responsible is definitely a coward. If I was in the financial position to quit, I would have done so months ago. Unfortunately I have to stick with this until I find something better. I get much better at handling it as each day passes. I applaud you for quitting. Nobody should have to endure abuse at work. I walk into work everyday in utter disbelief at the situation I'm in. It's a complete (you know what)show and I rue the day I accepted this offer. I look forward to putting this behind me, never to look back. I'm glad you got out. I envy you.

Old 09-07-2016, 11:59 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,830,509 times
OP: You won nothing by quitting and the bullies got what they wanted and are more than likely still bullies.
Documentation, reporting to the appropriate superior and not allowing someone else to control your emotions is what stops a bully, at least temporarily.
People over the years have attempted to bully me, I always laughed out loud and walked away. I refuse to waste any time or energy on dolts.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:17 AM

17,164 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OP: You won nothing by quitting and the bullies got what they wanted and are more than likely still bullies.
Documentation, reporting to the appropriate superior and not allowing someone else to control your emotions is what stops a bully, at least temporarily.
People over the years have attempted to bully me, I always laughed out loud and walked away. I refuse to waste any time or energy on dolts.
good post!!

respect thyself first and stand up for yourself !!

if you are a woman or part of any minority group..... if harassment is discrimination..

document it...

and if you don't think talking to your immediate supervisor will help.....because he/she is part of the harassment culture then request a meeting with human resource or higher management

this is not 20 yrs ago,,,, a couple co-workers ignorance is no longer an excuse for the company

if you feel boxed in nowhere to go,,,write a letter to top management

Old 09-08-2016, 06:41 AM

667 posts, read 424,711 times
I've worked at companies that had bosses that would walk on anyone who would LET them; I never let them. they usually back down pretty quick once they figure out your not going to tolerate their crap.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:28 AM

20,968 posts, read 15,296,258 times
It wasn't the reason I quit, but there were problems with some staff trying to run over others at a previous employer.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:34 AM

11,066 posts, read 8,998,172 times
I hear about bullying at work from time to time here on the forums and I just don't see it. I never once in my adult life at work seen a bully. I've seen lots of jerks, losers, weirdos, a holes, you name it, but I wouldn't call any of them bullies.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:52 AM

206 posts, read 94,097 times
I experienced bullying at a previous job. To make it worse, it was my first job out of college as well.

The way that company works, is that the employees are part of a club. In my case, they didn't prepare to have their guy at the interview, so only the owner was there. He is the owner, it is his company, he liked me, and he gave me the job.

The problem here is that, this "club", they like to be the ones to pick out someone. So when I started word went around, and they were wondering who the new guy was.

So, they started to make my life as difficult as possible. I noticed it day one. The majority of the workers are there on H1B, mostly asian, and they were very, very racist against anyone from another race. Elitist as well since most of them were hooked up very nicely by their friend who they would depend on to hire/fire who they wish.

In the end they went all out with the harassment to get me to quit, I was persistent and kept up though, and was eventually fired. I got a job offer at a bigger company four weeks later, with 1.5 times the previous salary, 10% bonus, and all that.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:29 PM

5,580 posts, read 4,787,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I hear about bullying at work from time to time here on the forums and I just don't see it. I never once in my adult life at work seen a bully. I've seen lots of jerks, losers, weirdos, a holes, you name it, but I wouldn't call any of them bullies.
Without knowing exactly what they did I would not use the word bully. People are way too free with that word.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:00 PM

4,547 posts, read 2,776,300 times
I had a job that ended after 4 hours.

Paddle grabber forklift job. Was for the company I later was to spend 6+ years with later.

I arrived to find the company and met the shipping manager, he then pointed out the guy who was to train me, got me on the forklift, went through some basics and then sent me to him.

I was later to find out this guy was an alcoholic and was pretty angry a lot of the time (Mainly I was to guess from not being allowed to drink on the job)

His greeting was curt and pretty unfriendly (OK, met people like him and passed it off) Got the first truck in, grabbed it and then lifted and went to out them (Televisions) away. Put the load in the wrong place (Three times my bad for not noticing the differences in the packaging) his response? He screamed at me till I had re grabbed them and got them in the right area. Then he screamed at me for causing the others to work faster.

I started paying more attention then.

Then he screamed at me for not being as fast as the others.

I just stared at him for that and frankly, well, I laughed at him for that. Yes, he screamed at me for that.

Then my forklift ran out of propane just before lunch, yep he started screaming about it. I then walked to the office, laid my time card out and had the manager sign it even after he asked me to stay for the shift. He also told me that "You're the 15th person to leave due to him" (This was in October)

I was stunned they continued to keep him employed.

I then left and got into my vehicle and there he was, gesticulating at me with one finger up, as I left.

Three months later, got an offer to go back into another area in the company. I agreed after getting clearance from the dept I previously worked at. I then spent the next 6.5 years working for them and slowly heading up the ladder.

That guy? he got busted for DUI in 2004 and then went to Florida (so as to escape a transport warrant) and that's the last I heard of him....I don't believed I was bullied, just didn't care to work alongside an ahole or deal with such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or