U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2008, 02:14 PM

2,583 posts, read 6,923,090 times
Might try a small town that is willing to take a risk on someone... why would they do that? Because they have a hard time attracking the "ideal candidate" because they either can't pay at that level; their benefits packages aren't as great; or the small town isn't ideal... those towns (assuming you are honest on the past issue since it isn't water under the bridge) may be willing to take a risk on you... you won't get rich with them but you may gain enough credibility that the previous issue would be discounted (not forgotten) in a future opportunity....
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 PM

4,983 posts, read 5,126,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Might try a small town that is willing to take a risk on someone... why would they do that? Because they have a hard time attracking the "ideal candidate" because they either can't pay at that level; their benefits packages aren't as great; or the small town isn't ideal... those towns (assuming you are honest on the past issue since it isn't water under the bridge) may be willing to take a risk on you... you won't get rich with them but you may gain enough credibility that the previous issue would be discounted (not forgotten) in a future opportunity....

Good ideas, but the other side is, if it doesn't work out, there are less opportunities for Plan B.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:44 AM

2,541 posts, read 7,653,856 times
Are you sure there is no avenue for you to appeal your firing especially if you say you did not cheat on a test

Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 AM

2,583 posts, read 6,923,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Good ideas, but the other side is, if it doesn't work out, there are less opportunities for Plan B.
I agree; however, if his heart's desire is law enforcement then something like this might be the only viable option - realizing that life's choices (the issue he mentioned) have ramifications (the lack of plan B).... life's not perfect and its a matter of evaluating the risks against the opportunities.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:47 AM

2,517 posts, read 6,975,540 times
he was fired while still under probation....which means he has no legal recourse. They could have fired him without giving him a reason and there would be nothing he could do about it. This is not corporate America...it's very different.

First, it's a shame that you let them "fire" you. A forced resignation would have looked much better. Anyhow, yes...you still have the opportunity to work in a police department. You need to make SURE to FULLY DISCLOSE and tell the truth in your applications from now on. When they ask you "were you ever fired from a job", you must put YES and explain it in detail. Be confident and tell them you were accused of cheating and you never cheated. I am sure that they will back up your statement with a polygraph test, so if you have nothing to hide...don't worry ! The big thing is DON'T LIE about what happened. If you so and they find out (and all police department have excelllent background investigation units) you will NOT be hired. They prefer people that may have had a blunder or two in the past to be honest and direct...it shows INTEGRITY which is an important value amongst many police departments in the world.

Like another poster recommended...RELOCATE ! Los angeles Sheriff's department is always hiring and they are such a large police dept. with huge advancement and promotional opportunities, a STRONG union and excellent pay. Another good dept that is hiring is Las Vegas. Seattle is also looking and I have heard great things about them. Here in South Florida, Miami-Dade Police started hiring again...an excellent department to work for. Stay away from NYPD though....Extremely low pay. Lot's of guys in the NYPD are leaving in droves.

Don't be discouraged..just tell the truth and explain yourself and I honestly believe you will be OK. Crap happens...it's happened to the best of us. If you are in the right, be confident and explain yourself and I'm sure they will side with you.

Old 10-03-2008, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 8,712 times
Thanks to everyone that has replied to my post. Things really haven't worked in my favor recently, but I'm drudging through all of it...looking for the light at the end. After several failed attempts to return to a law enforcement career,
I have decided to return to school to pursue a different career field. I am curious if anyone has had experience with a situation similar to mine and what you did to work your through it? I can say I have learned some valuable lessons over the past months that will stick with me the rest of my life and I am wiser for having been through this, although I wish it upon only my worst enemies. (A firm believer in what goes around comes around). Anyhow thanks to everyone that has taken the time to read my post and give me advice, it is all much appreciated.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:00 AM

983 posts, read 2,987,119 times
I don't understand how someone is suspected of cheating if they are not cheating.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:09 AM

27,238 posts, read 26,314,677 times
Bail bonds work, perhaps?

Old 10-05-2008, 09:02 AM

935 posts, read 1,465,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Um, I'm not so sure about this. A lot of small towns are not hiring and with unemployment at a high there's more competition for limited jobs. I have relatives in the field and they are actually saying that places like Miami are DESPERATE for police officers and are having a hard time gathering enough of them. You could try to apply there, but at the same time the reason why they are having a hard time is because there's supposedly a high crime rate.

I am having a hard time finding employment as well with my Com. degree. I also live in a small town, so I know how extremely limited they are in the job department. There's a ton of people that are unemployed yet very few jobs. And like what another poster said, if you don't get the job there's very few other options. However, if you want a job as a nurse or coal/natural gas miner I can help you out there .

Old 10-05-2008, 09:18 AM

21,656 posts, read 25,242,745 times
Work for a security company? Work for legal aid? You're in a position now where you'll have to take what you can get and prove yourself but I should think that you could still stay basically in the field of justice. Time does go by quite fast but I'd suggest that you always be upfront and honest about this one faux pas. Cheers and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment