Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 06:40 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Probably this is stupid question, but I have never dealt with this. Your advice is needed.
Right now I am actively applying for new jobs and expecting onsite interviews in next couple of months. These interviews will be far away, out of state. Normally interview for my role takes from half a day to all day. I already used all my vacation days this year. I don't mind using unpaid vacation days, but that will probably draw more suspicion from my current company. Actually my company policy encourages using sick days rather than taking unpaid vacation days, however some official proof of medical appointment will be needed most likely.

Actually I never used sick days at this company. And never used them in general for interviews. What are your recommendations? Get fake proof from Craigslist guys offering this kind of papers?

Thanks in advance for advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 06:47 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Your company requires a doctor's note for missing a day of work?

Old 09-09-2016, 06:48 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Hello!

Probably this is stupid question, but I have never dealt with this. Your advice is needed.
Right now I am actively applying for new jobs and expecting onsite interviews in next couple of months. These interviews will be far away, out of state. Normally interview for my role takes from half a day to all day. I already used all my vacation days this year. I don't mind using unpaid vacation days, but that will probably draw more suspicion from my current company. Actually my company policy encourages using sick days rather than taking unpaid vacation days, however some official proof of medical appointment will be needed most likely.

Actually I never used sick days at this company. And never used them in general for interviews. What are your recommendations? Get fake proof from Craigslist guys offering this kind of papers?

Thanks in advance for advice!
I think you should take sick days.

Am I correct in thinking you do not like your current job? If so, then the worst that could happen is that they get suspicious because you never take sick days and lay you off 'because they think you are looking for a new job'. Which is very unlikely but I suppose possible. So ... you collect unemployment (and you WILL get it if you are fired for that reason), and look for your new job.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Your company requires a doctor's note for missing a day of work?
Well I am not sure, but probably they might require some kind of paper.

'Verification of the employee's medical disability may be required by the Company' - this is from the company policy.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I think you should take sick days.

Am I correct in thinking you do not like your current job? If so, then the worst that could happen is that they get suspicious because you never take sick days and lay you off 'because they think you are looking for a new job'. Which is very unlikely but I suppose possible. So ... you collect unemployment (and you WILL get it if you are fired for that reason), and look for your new job.
You are right, I don't like current job. But also don't like this declining industry any more, current location, and definitely want to relocate. So I am planning a big change.

Financially I am not afraid of losing this job. I am even OK with quitting this job right now in order to get a lot of time for interviews. However it will raise flags for prospective new employers and I don't want gap between jobs in my resume. First thing new employers are asking - 'are you currently employed?' It's not so easy to get a new job in my field so my profile should look as strong as possible, and unemployment might be easily considered as a weak point. Also unemployment probably is not so good for future salary negotiation.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
A single sick day is not a disability.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
A single sick day is not a disability.
Thanks. So is it OK at most companies to take one sick day without providing any evidence?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:45 PM

263 posts, read 344,122 times
Yes.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:12 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
You are right, I don't like current job. But also don't like this declining industry any more, current location, and definitely want to relocate. So I am planning a big change.

Financially I am not afraid of losing this job. I am even OK with quitting this job right now in order to get a lot of time for interviews. However it will raise flags for prospective new employers and I don't want gap between jobs in my resume. First thing new employers are asking - 'are you currently employed?' It's not so easy to get a new job in my field so my profile should look as strong as possible, and unemployment might be easily considered as a weak point. Also unemployment probably is not so good for future salary negotiation.
I don't know what kind of a big change you are planning, but taking sick days or unpaid vacation days to find a new job is pretty standard.

A bunch of people have quit my company, and I had no clue they were applying to other jobs, or even thinking of switching. One lady found time to interview in a state like 12 hours away and land a job while still working here.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:58 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
It is not morally ok to use sick days for things unrelated to sickness.

It is also not "standard".

Use vacation days or other days without pay. Or tell your current employer the truth and arrange something with them.

If I were the company interviewing you, I might place a call to your current employer trying to reach you and if I heard someone say, "oh, sorry, he called in sick today..." and I or one of my employees saw you here, you would not get hired by us.

I want honest employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment