Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 10:11 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times

Advertisements

As an employer, I would expect any employee who felt a concern over a possible threat to be taken seriously and the matter fully investigated. Any employee who acts threateningly towards another employee (especially if they were the cause of the issue to begin with) has no place in my company. I would not hesitate to terminate any employee who posses a threat to other employees. Now, with that said, if I find out the complaining/concerned employee had over reacted out of immaturity, that person may be the one looking for a new job. I would not hesitate to terminate any employee who cried alarm where none reasonably existed.

Until the OP explains exactly what occurred and in what manner, jumping to the conclusion that the person is/was a threat is just grand standing.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:41 PM

381 posts, read 642,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I would not hesitate to terminate any employee who posses a threat to other employees. Now, with that said, if I find out the complaining/concerned employee had over reacted out of immaturity, that person may be the one looking for a new job. I would not hesitate to terminate any employee who cried alarm where none reasonably existed.
But often these situations can be borderline. For instance, if an employee is disrespectful, slamming the phone down, making comments, could it be interpreted as threatening? Yes and no. Depends on the witness.

If the OP's employer didn't address this with coworker, I think there is there is definitely cause for concern. They should follow up with the OP, state that it has been addressed, and check back to see if there are any further incidents.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:22 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Really? You recommend that I should do work of two people while my coworker slacks off and plays on his phone all day? When he gets ready to pack up for the day, realizes that he missed work and then says "oh well". You'd rather employ him then someone that cares about fairness and being a professional coworker? I told management but I will not sit around and have him take credit for the work I had to do.

Well, you can have him.

And yes, red face, angry, shouting... he comes off as "unstable", which is why I was concerned. No e-mail was ever sent, so I guess it's was all for nothing and this thread can be closed. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I've been responsible for several help desks. It is easy to track the productivity of the help desk analysts but running a report of the help desk calls they have closed out.

You say you are doing the work of two people but have provided no evidence for that. The only information you provided is he left unanswered voice mails that you had to handle.

We documented all of our calls and their resolution. The data shows what is really happening.

How do you know if your coworker is playing on his phone when you are not there?

Old 09-12-2016, 07:07 AM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Thread closed at OP's request.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment