Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:48 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

When I was in college, one summer I worked for the William J. Burns Detective Agency as a security guard. No, that wasn't particularly strange, but one of the jobs to which they assigned me was...strange. During the US Open Golf Tournament at the Baltusrol Country Club, four or five of us were assigned to be Jack Nicklaus's bodyguards on the last day of the tournament, when it was pretty apparent that he would be the winner.

If you still don't think that is strange, here is the...curious...part of that assignment. We were each issued a Colt revolver, but the guns weren't loaded! We were essentially just window-dressing, or--more likely--we were supposed to take a bullet for The Golden Bear if necessary, but...unarmed bodyguards?

I'm sure that Jack was unaware that we were toothless tigers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 01:55 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
We were each issued a Colt revolver, but the guns weren't loaded!
I'd've turned that one down. To display an arm comes with a representation of authority you cannot honor if the gun's not loaded.

Plus what if one of you decided to play cop and bring your own bullets?

Totally irresponsible behavior on your employers' part.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:13 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
I very briefly worked as a phone psychic. No, I'm not psychic.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:47 PM

749 posts, read 852,626 times
Strangest? Online affiliate marketing when I had no idea what the company sold.

They had a perfect online BBB rating. I made so much money so quickly I just got busy selling and had no time/energy to investigate what the product was. Two years later found out it was allergy-free line of home products, years before that was a common 'thing'.

Sounds weird but I was selling the training to learn to sell the products, I wasn't selling the products directly so it didn't matter really what they were just that it was legal, legit company, the numbers involved, etc. Easy peasy.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:49 PM

231 posts, read 226,849 times
Working for an estate sale company. You would go into people's houses, go through all their personal belongings, make them presentable for display, and sell them. You learn a LOT about human nature/habits by doing that. And sale days were crazy.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:49 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Totally irresponsible behavior on your employers' part.
I agree 100%.
Not long after that charade, I decided to part ways with Burns Detective Agency.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:52 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
My first job was on a food truck that went around to factories at lunchtime.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times
I did some brief work for a plumbing company when I was 18. Me and a plumber and some friends were called out to inspect a kitchen leak. There was more than one plumber, because it was affecting some big name restaurant. We went floor to floor in the apartments above and did some stuff, and one of them was like "it must be coming from the top floor". Everything was very old, like it was all wooden and deteriorated. The further you went up the worse it got. We had to go to the top floor and there was some kind of taxidermist/hairdresser or something. His room wasn't like a normal apartment, instead it was huge, and it was filled with dolls. Animals, people, children, and LOTS of fake hair. And he had these long yellow nails, he was really ugly and there was this really strong incense, but you could still smell him and he smelled really bad. So the plumbers said "check it out" so I went to the back of the room, checked for evidence of leaks, then I went back and said "it's not here." So they were like "OK let's go". The whole time he was just sitting on a chair stroking a doll's fake hair. He never looked at me once, just stroking this doll in this careful way. I thought, why aren't the plumbers checking this out as usual? I was honestly confused.

Old 09-11-2016, 03:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Back in the early 1970s I spent a summer as a corn de-tassler in Iowa. I pulled the male part of the corn plant off so that it did not pollinate the female part of the corn plant for seed corn (or something like that).

Many of the other corn de-tassling companies hired migrant farm laborers but the company that I worked for was more progressive and hired high school and college students.

I could write a book about the horrible, horrible working conditions and low pay. It was a completely awful, awful job.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Counting cars? Literally. I did traffic surveys and manually counted, with little clicker counters, the cars as they went through the intersection, and whether they turned right, left or went straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment