Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 08:50 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
He obviously doesn't understand that people who read resumes don't just only read resumes. We have other things to do as well, like overseeing currently running projects. And we don't have all the time in the world, either.
Now you're just looking for excuses. You guys are supposed to excel at multi-tasking and "managing multiple priorities." Rather than complain that you have too much to do, you should be thinking about how to utilize more effective time management/organizational skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 09:02 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Why do career counselors keep telling their students to put all the most important things at the bottom of the resume?
Because none of them have any idea how to get a job outside of school.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:19 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Now you're just looking for excuses. You guys are supposed to excel at multi-tasking and "managing multiple priorities." Rather than complain that you have too much to do, you should be thinking about how to utilize more effective time management/organizational skills.
You know, you really should brush up on your reading comprehension skills. Perhaps sign up for a class at your local community college?

Old 09-13-2016, 10:01 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Just curious. What field do you work in?

In engineering, rarely will anyone ask you for your transcript. All of that had been previously verified when you took your EIT, PE, SE, etc.
IT. Basically all they want is something with my name, the degree awarded, and when. A transcript is an easy way to get there - other than the first job, I don't remember a transcript being an only option. I don't have any professional licenses where a degree is a requirement, so that doesn't apply to me.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:32 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,934 times
For a college student's resume, I think education should go first, then skills and such, with work experience at the bottom. This is because your average college student doesn't usually have much work experience that is relevant.

For me, before I earned my four-year-degree a little later in my 20s than most, I put experience first, then skills, with education at the bottom. That's because I had a lot of experience, so I wanted that to speak for me before my education did.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Boy does this show, how little about what goes on in the real world.

A manager (HM) will nearly always have a full plate. Suddenly having to go through the process of hiring a new employee, jut extends your work hours. It takes time starting when you start reviewing resumes, and ending when you have hired the best applicant. As you will have to let something go, that you should really be taking care of, to make time to hire a new person, you are going to streamline everything in the hiring process to prevent this part of the job, does not damage an ongoing project or more.

Most applicants make it a very poor show by making a bad resume. If you have not been grabbed the reader by the resume in 20 seconds to a minute, you are just going to circular file the resume in your mind and more on to another. Every so often one catches your eye, and you read the whole resume comparing it to those few that get your attention. Then you will place this resume in a very small pile, to pursue further. The majority of the time, you will not even read the entire resume, and rarely get down to the bottom of the resume before discarding it.

This is why the OP and others are telling you how to get the HR or HM person to read the entire resume. Put what they want to see up at the top, so they actually read that part of your resume. This is known as The Hook. Imagine you are fishing. If you properly lace the bait where the fish are, and you reel it in just right, one of those fish will grab the bait. If the bait does not attract them, they do not pay any attention to it.

Years ago my wife and I took our two youngest sons to a tourist area mountain lake and we had a lake front cabin. I had a couple of old poles with us, and set the boys up to fish. Those kids caught 4 each in about 15 minutes and were through fishing. There was a man about 30 watching the boys catch fish, and nothing was even trying to steal his bait. He said he had moved to the area 5 years ago, and had never caught a fish. He came from the mid west and always caught fish back home. I had him pull in his bait, and found they were using the same bait, Salmon Eggs as my kids were. Difference he was using a ocean fishing type leader which could be seen a long ways away, and big hooks with a couple of eggs on them. I explained to him that trout are smart and if they can see the leader and hook they are not going to bite. I showed him what the boys were using, which was size 22 hooks (very small that you can conceal in one egg), and half pound leader that actually is about invisible under water. He had been fishing for bass all his life. I gave him the leader setups (leader and hooks) the boys had been using as we were leaving the area. I showed him how to fish with it. We did not want to keep the fish as we were eating in restaurants, and his family was camping and cooking their meals. The boys gave him the fish they had caught. He was using a double hook set up, and within a couple of minutes he had two nice 10 inch or so trout in his net.

Next morning before we left we walked over to the lake and he was fishing again. He had got to anxious and had lost one of the hook and leader rigs I gave him. There was a sporting goods store we could see from where we were. His wife was waiting by the door to buy a big spool of leader, and some very small hooks. He already had half his daily limit in his creel. He was a very proud man, as he was now a trout catching man.

I am telling you this story, as it is so related to sending out a good or bad resume. Send out a bad one, and you are like this fisherman as he had been in the past. It does not appeal to the HR/HM person reading it, anymore than a big heavy hook and leader setup will appeal to the trout. Send out a good resume, and it hooks the HR/HM person reviewing resumes. Consider if the first 20 seconds if it is good enough to get the interest of the one reading your resume, you will not be called to have an interviw.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Different things works for different places. Some places want achievements/skills/activities on top while others want it on the bottom. Some places want a full, complete and detailed work history while others want the last few jobs. Some places want references while others don't care. Need I say more?
This is what I find. The best resume too many is what they think it should be. To me, it is whatever gets you the job you apply for.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:18 AM

850 posts, read 902,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
If it works like I've seen, the reason you've never seen a good resume is because HR already threw out the ones from good candidates because people who know what they are doing have resumes HR can't understand.
I agree. Those HR bimbos that weed out resumes have no clue what the hiring managers are looking for but they are the initial gatekeeper. HR should not be involved in the hiring process until an offer is extended from the hiring manager. Then HR does the background check, etc.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:24 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
I work in a college and teach resume writing strategies to foreign-trained professionals. I think the problem lies with career counseling positions being given to people with zero experience as hiring managers. They sit in these coveted positions without consulting the actual business world. It's painful, it's the blind leading the blind.
Agree x1million. I also work in a college. The "career counselors" are people with bachelor's degrees in career counseling or something similar. They learned "how to write a resume" from some book at some point in a classroom (with a professor who has never worked outside of academia and has had one job her whole life), and how to give stupid personality tests, and so on. They have no clue about the real job market or the business world and have never had a job outside of being a college career counselor. It's such a waste.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:32 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Education should be first for a young college graduate. Especially for an honors student.

Getting a degree is one heck of an achievement. It IS a job. When I was in college, I attended a minimum of 15 hours of class and studied at least 30-40 hours per week. In addition, I held down a part time job (15-20 hours) to pay car insurance, food on campus, etc.

College is about honing a variety of skills: organization, time management, learning, critical thinking, team work, etc.

I could not wait to graduate college so I could have some free time on nights and weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Who cares about resume layout, most of the best people I ever hired had terrible resumes. If I judged them on resume layout I would of never hired them and missed out on some outstanding people.

Personally, I think hiring managers and HR make way too big a deal over it.
I agree. Some of my best valued hires made "mistakes" on resumes or during their interview. I am surprised HR/managers weed people out due to superficial or trivial points.

Last edited by AnnaGWS; 09-14-2016 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment