Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 08:02 PM

50,734 posts, read 36,447,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Treating a manager with deference just because they are a manager is what I was getting at. Being a manager doesn't magically make someone incapable of being wrong, and it doesn't place them above criticism.

I will admit that I have a much different perspective on this: I have a 15 year career in public safety. First as a police officer, and now as a firefighter and EMT. I've had coworkers complain about getting yelled at by supervisors, or had them complain about me yelling at them. I don't do it often, but if someone is doing something that may harm or kill themselves, a fellow officer/firefighter, or a citizen, I will say or do what it takes to stop that action.
Yes, a boss making a cake for another co-worker is very life-threatening situation, now your defense of OP's actions makes sense

I was taught to respect my teachers and my bosses. I have never left a job that wouldn't welcome me back or give a good reference. Certainly I have disagreed with bosses at times, but in those cases I discussed it with them. Going off on a boss and screaming at them is completely unprofessional regardless of situation. To me a firefighter should be more capable of retaining control of his emotions than the average person, not less, so I am not impressed by your knight-in-shining armor impression of yourself at work if it means you yell and scream or are overtly disrespectful.[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 09:33 PM

34,019 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, a boss making a cake for another co-worker is very life-threatening situation, now your defense of OP's actions makes sense

I was taught to respect my teachers and my bosses. I have never left a job that wouldn't welcome me back or give a good reference. Certainly I have disagreed with bosses at times, but in those cases I discussed it with them. Going off on a boss and screaming at them is completely unprofessional regardless of situation. To me a firefighter should be more capable of retaining control of his emotions than the average person, not less, so I am not impressed by your knight-in-shining armor impression of yourself at work if it means you yell and scream or are overtly disrespectful.[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Amen. The OP would have been canned in days from a private sector job based on his actions, not just in this thread, but the sexist comment thread, the making a fist at a colleague thread, etc.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:35 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I read the entire post,.
I think he meant "entire thread"....he posted later about how the higher-up boss sympathized with him and commended him on the job he did.

The yellin' and cussin' wasn't good, though....

Old 09-24-2016, 04:57 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Being a supervisor doesn't automatically make someone a better person, or more valuable (even to the organization).

When I was a manager, I raised my voice on a few occasions to my subordinates because their actions were exceedingly incompetent. At the same time, I never held it against them if they yelled at me for something stupid I did. As long as either situation wasn't happening regularly, there were no problems.

This touchy-feely no yelling BS that has developed over the last 15 years or so is absolutely ridiculous. While not every job is life and death (mine happens to be), sometimes people NEED to be yelled at. And that goes both ways, up and down the chain.
I cannot imagine in what professional field yelling is acceptable.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:52 PM

709 posts, read 656,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I was taught to respect my teachers and my bosses. I have never left a job that wouldn't welcome me back or give a good reference. Certainly I have disagreed with bosses at times, but in those cases I discussed it with them. Going off on a boss and screaming at them is completely unprofessional regardless of situation. To me a firefighter should be more capable of retaining control of his emotions than the average person, not less, so I am not impressed by your knight-in-shining armor impression of yourself at work if it means you yell and scream or are overtly disrespectful.
Save
I didn't say baking a cake was life threatening. Quit being obtuse.

If you honestly believe there is never a time or place for yelling at someone, you are part of what is wrong with society, not me.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:17 PM

50,734 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:

If you honestly believe there is never a time or place for yelling at someone, you are part of what is wrong with society, not me
Yeah, okay.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:39 PM

34,019 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:

If you honestly believe there is never a time or place for yelling at someone, you are part of what is wrong with society, not me.

Of course, in this case, the OP has gone over the top many, many times at work.

I hope the intensive therapy helps him.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:08 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,522,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
As I see it, I've got just about enough time on the job. I've been playing with the idea of retiring. Just put my papers in, grab my pension and split! I can work somewhere else and supplement my pension. Too many idiots have taken over!
I've done it plenty of times mate..... The only reason why I won't take any crap or suffer idiots is because I know I've just got to make a phone call or 2 and I'll have a new job tomorrow

I know that most don't have that luxury and have to bite their tongue.... So my heart goes out to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment