Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:16 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Thank YOU for the words of encouragement! :-)
You are welcome. I don't support your actions, but I can understand how you got there.

You have the ear of the head director. You can turn this around if you cared to.
Educate him/her about the changes your system needs, and be an advocate for implementing some active support systems for folks in the field.

If you'd had someone to decompress with, and discuss things with on an ongoing basis this wouldn't have all come to a head like it did. Feeling supported is critical.

I know what good support systems can do for folks in high stress jobs, by personal/professional experience.

Sounds like there are not any in place or at least they aren't adequate and haven't been for you. It isn't too late to change that.

Just a few links that may be helpful.

Wikipedia "Occupational burnout
Burnout is a type of psychological stress. Occupational burnout or job burnout is characterized by exhaustion, lack of enthusiasm and motivation, feelings of ineffectiveness, and also may have the dimension of frustration or cynicism, and as a result reduced efficacy within the workplace."

Burn out
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome.../www.bing.com/

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/st...ng-burnout.htm

Self care
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/rehb/uploa...Assessment.pdf
http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/t...re_survey.html

Last edited by JanND; 09-13-2016 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 07:33 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Apparently you didn't read the entire post.
I read the entire post, and I completely agree with this comment. You might feel like you have the "right" to act out like this, but you don't. It doesn't matter how many years you've been there; you have lost the respect of your coworkers and boss. You'll be lucky if anyone there still considers you a friend after such a ridiculous outburst. They might still speak to you (because they have to), but that's about it.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:05 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
Maybe she will pay more attention now as to how she handles things as a boss. Sometimes it takes a dramatic response to get people to wake up and see how they are acting.

Or maybe she will start a file on him and ask him to retire sooner then expected. I doubt a dramatic response will make her wake up. It's more likely that she will see him as a loose cannon instead.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:14 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Quote:
I shouldn't have gotten raked over for blatant miscommunication over a matter that didn't involve me. Ok, so I was a little harsh with my words, but let me lay my cards on the table here: I wouldn't have erupted had the other situation not spilled out (the lack of communication). We're it not for that, I'd have kept my mouth shut. But of course, she just had to open Pandora's Box! And out came it all....

It's almost gotten to where I've gotta become like J. Edgar Hoover - keep a file on people. Therefore, if I'm unjustly called on the carpet (and I emphasize unjustly), I've got information I can use against my accuser. If you're gonna put a target on my back, you best damn well have justification!

I understand your frustration, especially if you were blamed for a mistake that you didn't do, but when you take the high road and handle it in a professional manner you garner respect. When you lash out in an uncontrolled manner you are labeled something less then flattering. Which way would you prefer to be seen? It feels better for the moment to express all that anger in a negative way, but which is more advantageous in the long run? Yes it's difficult to channel negative emotions in a positive way, but it's necessary to do so, especially in the work place.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
As I see it, I've got just about enough time on the job. I've been playing with the idea of retiring. Just put my papers in, grab my pension and split! I can work somewhere else and supplement my pension. Too many idiots have taken over!
It sounds like it is time for you to retire.

Going off on another person is never the right answer but to snap at your boss is way out of line.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:19 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It sounds like it is time for you to retire.

Going off on another person is never the right answer but to snap at your boss is way out of line.
Yep because masters count as more of a person than other people

Old 09-13-2016, 02:20 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yep because masters count as more of a person than other people
He isn't your master, but he IS your superior in the workplace. It isn't about counting more as a person, it is about maintaining a professional demeanor and being respectful to those who are above you in the chain of command. It's your choice, but only one choice leads to a better career and better future.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 09-13-2016, 02:44 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
A lot of excuses. The OP lashed out in a very unprofessional manner. Nobody likes to deal with a person who blows up like that at work or any other place for that manner.

I'm a teacher and once had a rough five patch in my personal life. However, I never took it out on the teaching staff or the students despite being completely stress out some days before the first bell.

Of course I knew if I did I likely would have been fired but it's also not my nature.
Yo i had a hs teacher who got so mad at us he threw a desk out the window and smashed the projector and said he would set the place on fire. we all evacuated the classroom. but man we made him maddd

Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
I can understand the reaction. I am an friendly person, I have a lot of empathy, and people like working with me, but three times I have yelled at my bosses in 25 years of professional work (at two different places of employment, but all different bosses) and all three times times I had been working my butt off, felt unappreciated and didn't get much sleep before the outbursts.

First time I privately apologized for yelling at my boss' boss in front of others, but I still told him I thought what he did was wrong. He was totally incompetent, but I shouldn't have yelled. He was later fired.

Second time I was ready to quit or be fired if things didn't change as I was being pushed around. My outburst changed things for the better. It was the right thing to do and I didn't apologize, although I talked with my boss and others I was working with about the outburst and how we could better the situation.

Third time we were working many hours, had just successfully presented a huge project to a large team, and then my boss immediately took me and the other guy working on the project aside and started vigorously complaining about things he had weeks to discuss with us before the presentation. We later discussed the incident and I explained why I was upset and he apologized to me for his approach.

So, emotional outbursts can be beneficial, but sometimes are not. It depends on the person and the situation. No matter what, you should talk with your boss about the incident and explain your reaction and how things could improve...unless you already did that.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:24 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He isn't your master, but he IS your superior in the workplace. It isn't about counting more as a person, it is about maintaining a professional demeanor and being respectful to those who are above you in the chain of command. It's your choice, but only one choice leads to a better career and better future.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
This is why I am such an advocate for building multiple streams of income (rental properties, etc) because while this person is your "supervisor" at work their decisions should not impact your life in a major way. People need to see to it that they have enough money to simply just stop showing up, but at the same time make yourself extremely valuable.

This way you put youself in a position where if the "boss" is not acting professional then you just go home right then and there maybe take a nap and take in a movie and wait for the call, let them apologize profusely and then go back when you feel like it.

The reason she freaked out is because she is busting her butt because her lively hood depends on the job and the balance of power is way out of whack, that leads to extreme stress and eventual acting out.

As long as the power balance is ... balanced these events should never occur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment