Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 07:14 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times

Advertisements

I've learned to control my temper and I'm not as bad as before, but this did it for some reason...

I was asked to work a very long day, as a client was being reunified with natural parent. On this day, I was on the road by 6 am, as I had to get the child from foster home, collect all (the child's) possessions in the process - clothing, shoes, toys, etc. I bring said youngster to my office, to be checked out by the nurse. Meanwhile, I had to obtain this child's school records - meaning a trip to the school. So, after all's said and done, the child is back home with Mom, ending at 4 pm. That's 10 hours. Afterwards, I'm called out on an emergent case...this lasted til after 9 pm, with my not getting home until nearly 11. So, I'd been going from 6 am til 11 pm. Very long day!

Meanwhile, a coworker in my unit apparently closed out some paper (reports) on an unrelated case. All well and good, right? Well, our boss baked a cake for this coworker, for closing out paper. The boss' way of thanking the coworker for the hard work and dedication. Okay. Well, when I found this out, I was uneasy, but kept my mouth shut. But then, an unrelated miscommunication took place and I was called in (it was miscommunication on the boss' and another coworker' s part, but somehow I got involved), and when confronted about this and something else, I about lost it! I said a few scathing words to her about "dictating from the seat of her ass while I'm out there busting mine for 15 hours...doing the work of three people...having to cancel a family visit...while you bake a [bleep] cake for someone else and laud your appreciation on them!!!" People came back to me later and told me that I deeply hurt her feelings, and maybe so, but I make no apology!

Mind you, it's not the cake at all! It's just that I felt like I was thrown under the bus for all the hard work and long hours. Never mind that I followed through and stuck it out 'til I was almost ready to collapse!!!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-12-2016 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 08:13 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
I can understand your frustration (and hopefully your boss realizes you valuable you are to the team and you two can work through things/reconcile), but I'd start looking for another place to work. Many employers/supervisors won't take kindly to such behavior. Even if you do stay, she may make your life a living hell (more so than it has been these past couple of days).

Old 09-11-2016, 08:35 PM

789 posts, read 1,991,914 times
If she's even a half-way decent manager, she'll take this in stride and work to help resolve your excessive workload, or at least help to counter-balance the stress. So, if she's a good boss, you should be fine and I wouldn't apologize or even bring it up unless there's a specific point that she wants to discuss. If she's a poor manager (which unfortunately sounds like the case), then you might need to do some damage control. I wouldn't do anything hasty. Let her play her hand and then respond accordingly. Remember that you're the one doing the work and she needs to decide if her bruised ego is worth having to replace you.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I can understand your frustration (and hopefully your boss realizes you valuable you are to the team and you two can work through things/reconcile), but I'd start looking for another place to work. Many employers/supervisors won't take kindly to such behavior. Even if you do stay, she may make your life a living hell (more so than it has been these past couple of days).
As I see it, I've got just about enough time on the job. I've been playing with the idea of retiring. Just put my papers in, grab my pension and split! I can work somewhere else and supplement my pension. Too many idiots have taken over!

Old 09-11-2016, 09:03 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
"I went off on my boss..." is that now former boss?

Old 09-11-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
"I went off on my boss..." is that now former boss?
Read my second post.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:04 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,597,486 times
If you're union, they can't "fire you" for "going off on the boss".
At most they could write you up.
If it becomes a pattern they could start a paper trail on you (IF they wanted to) and EVENTUALLY fire you.
But you're far from that scenario.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,569,264 times
I understand your frustration but it is never o.k. to speak to anyone that way. You owe your boss an apology.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:20 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
If you're union, they can't "fire you" for "going off on the boss".
At most they could write you up.
If it becomes a pattern they could start a paper trail on you (IF they wanted to) and EVENTUALLY fire you.
But you're far from that scenario.
Not true, if the Union decides not to represent the employee or the employee's actions are such that a
hostile workplace is caused there is a different set of guidelines.
So the OP raised their voice to their superior, cursed and basically had a tantrum which equals hostile workplace.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:22 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I've learned to control my temper and I'm not as bad as before, but this did it for some reason...

I was asked to work a very long day, as a client was being reunified with natural parent. On this day, I was on the road by 6 am, as I had to get the child from foster home, collect all (the child's) possessions in the process - clothing, shoes, toys, etc. I bring said youngster to my office, to be checked out by the nurse. Meanwhile, I had to obtain this child's school records - meaning a trip to the school. So, after all's said and done, the child is back home with Mom, ending at 4 pm. That's 10 hours. Afterwards, I'm called out on an emergent case...this lasted til after 9 pm, with my not getting home until nearly 11. So, I'd been going from 6 am til 11 pm. Very long day!

Meanwhile, a coworker in my unit apparently closed out some paper (reports) on an unrelated case. All well and good, right? Well, our boss baked a cake for this coworker, for closing out paper. The boss' way of thanking the coworker for the hard work and dedication. Okay. Well, when I found this out, I was uneasy, but kept my mouth shut. But then, an unrelated miscommunication took place and I was called in (it was miscommunication on the boss' and another coworker' s part, but somehow I got involved), and when confronted about this and something else, I about lost it! I said a few scathing words to her about "dictating from the seat of her ass while I'm out there busting mine for 15 hours...doing the work of three people...having to cancel a family visit...while you bake a [bleep] cake for someone else and laud your appreciation on them!!!" People came back to me later and told me that I deeply hurt her feelings, and maybe so, but I make no apology!

Mind you, it's not the cake at all! It's just that I felt like I was thrown under the bus for all the hard work and long hours. Never mind that I followed through and stuck it out 'til I was almost ready to collapse!!!
I'm totally with you on your feelings. My experience in the workplace over the years has been that if the bosses don't SEE you do something, you aren't doing it (in their minds). Even if they know, logically speaking, what you're doing, it's very different if you're doing it out of their sight. The long hours are known, but unless they see you early and then see you STILL there late, they don't grasp the hard work that's being done behind the scenes.

But back to your issue, I agree with the poster above who says that if the manager is decent at all, she'll understand the stress you were under, and will file it away in the "he gets one pass on an outburst" drawer. You sound like a valuable employee and hard worker. If your mgr knows what's good, she won't give you too much hassle about it.

A lot depends on your relationship w/her. Are you two friendly at all? Have rapport? No prior problems? All that enters into it.

I worked in a high stress environment, so I get it. I will tell you that the memory of someone yelling at you doesn't leave. I still remember being yelled at by bosses. I remember their faces, what they said. I held it against them...but then, they were wrong in some assumption they had made. So they were yelling at me for something I hadn't done. And they wouldn't shut up and let me tell them.

You may want to look for a less stressful job, though. Just in case. I totally get your position. I would have felt 100% the way you did.

You could try explaining it to her...that the cake thing bothered you, and then this other thing that happened put you over the top. Just like you say in your post.

Let us know what happens!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-12-2016 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment