Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 07:41 AM

305 posts, read 330,667 times

Advertisements

I worked for one company that had no tolerance. The company I'm at now is very large. We all have to cover others work when they aren't here and we are extremely busy regardless with orders and emails. Is it acceptable for someone to take a week off for the flu 2 or 3 times a year and then a week off a few times and leaving early, coming in late many times because of your teenage daughters has emotional problems? One of the times someone saw on FB she was actually on vacation when she said she was sick (nobody every said anything to management). I would think regardless of the absence, your job has to take priority sometimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 07:53 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
It is acceptable if your company deems it to be acceptable, they write the checks, they decide what flies and what doesn't. As you said, it is a large company. You have no idea what arrangements they have worked out with this employee. You assume none, but it's just that, an assumption. You need to worry about your job and your performance, not someone else's. You are not management.

I am sure your response will be, her absence creates more work for you thus it is your business. This excuse does not fly, worry about you, not them.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:55 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Apparently it is acceptable where you currently work.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:58 AM

226 posts, read 198,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
I worked for one company that had no tolerance. The company I'm at now is very large. We all have to cover others work when they aren't here and we are extremely busy regardless with orders and emails. Is it acceptable for someone to take a week off for the flu 2 or 3 times a year and then a week off a few times and leaving early, coming in late many times because of your teenage daughters has emotional problems? One of the times someone saw on FB she was actually on vacation when she said she was sick (nobody every said anything to management). I would think regardless of the absence, your job has to take priority sometimes?

The issue here is that this person does not want to work, does not care about her job, does not care that everyone else is having to work harder due to these excessive absences, and no one cares enough about THAT to alert management. That is the correct assessment, right?

I suppose your company does not care how many days off she has had. That does affect morale with everyone else, though. In my company, we have the Golden Kids who can pull stuff like that and never have any consequences. Ther rest of us pretty much show up regardless of family issues or illnesses-disbarring fever.

She will continue to call in as often as she wants so long as she is allowed to.

Last edited by Jeo123; 09-12-2016 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Tag fix

Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
It seems excessive but the employee may not be abusing it.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
With generous PTO, and sick leave for over 2 days or hospitalization (requiring doctor's note) people with a few years here are generally OK for a week or two, or 6-8 times a year for a day or two. My boss is currently off sick for 4 weeks (surgery). People go on vacation for 2-4 weeks all the time. I have only taken two vacations of a week or so this year but still have 5 weeks on the books. We have one person on a 6 month (unpaid) leave of absence for a cross-country bike trip. It's just not a big deal, people still here somehow always manage to absorb the additional work and business goes on.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:11 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post

The issue here is that this person does not want to work, does not care about her job, does not care that everyone else is having to work harder due to these excessive absences, and no one cares enough about THAT to alert management. That is the correct assessment, right?

I suppose your company does not care how many days off she has had. That does affect morale with everyone else, though. In my company, we have the Golden Kids who can pull stuff like that and never have any consequences. Ther rest of us pretty much show up regardless of family issues or illnesses-disbarring fever.

She will continue to call in as often as she wants so long as she is allowed to.
You are assuming the company does not not know or care. In fact you or the OP have no idea what management knows, and what arrangements have been approved for this employee.

Last edited by Jeo123; 09-12-2016 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Tag fix

Old 09-12-2016, 08:23 AM

305 posts, read 330,667 times
I just sense something is off. Like Munchausen by Proxy. Of course I can't prove that nor is it my business go prove but something isn't right.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:24 AM

226 posts, read 198,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post

You are assuming the company does not not know or care. In fact you or the OP have no idea what management knows, and what arrangements have been approved for this employee.
Well, let's take the "fact" that she posted vacation pics on facebook while being supposedly sick. The others in the office are noticing this. I have had many years of firsthand experience in my company of people taking advantage and the managers looking the other way. So based on all of that, it's a safe assumption.

Last edited by Jeo123; 09-12-2016 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Tax fix

Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Start taking days off and see.

You have zero knowledge about what deals this employee has. I had a coworker that had negotiated substantial time off. The only reason I knew is because he told me himself. If I hadn't known, then yes, it would have appeared he was "favored." He wasn't. Management knew and approved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment