Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 3,953 times

Advertisements

During a period of unemployment, I took a low paying job across the country after almost everyone recommended it since it looks better to be employed than not. I thought I could take the job and continue to search. It has been over a year now and i'm having a lot of trouble finding something new. I have a history of job hopping due to unfortunate personal circumstances so I knew this was a red flag which made me hesitant to take this current job. I knew that I needed to stay at a job for a long time but this low paying job in the middle of nowhere in South Carolina just isn't it for me. I'm looking to move back west but no firm seems interested in someone so far away. I feel like I wasted over a year of my life other than just working. I'm considering whether I can get fired to get some unemployment support to move back west and try finding something there. Any tboughts or advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 09:38 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
My thought is you should use this as a good opportunity to fix a bad job history. Stick it out another year and go back home on GOOD terms. References are critical. Getting fired puts you back to square one. Why would you do that to yourself? In the meantime, keep applying just in case. But you need to show an ability to commit somewhat before any company is going to do the same.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:39 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
My thought is you should use this as a good opportunity to fix a bad job history. Stick it out another year and go back home on GOOD terms. References are critical. Getting fired puts you back to square one. Why would you do that to yourself? In the meantime, keep applying just in case. But you need to show an ability to commit somewhat before any company is going to do the same.
I agree. You have an income and an opportunity for a good reference too. Don't seek to get let go on purpose Try to save some $$$ if possible and enjoy your free time knowing you have this chance. I learned a lot over the last several years that sometimes you have to take a different path in life, and cannot control everything that happens. Stay focused because that path may just be a detour to what you seek.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:31 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
The reality is that trying to find a job in a different city is difficult. I would love to find a job where I am, but there just aren't that many opportunities locally. Applying to move makes it more difficult because they usually know someone locally can start much faster than someone who is going to have to move. I have had a few interviews, but they were at the absolute worst time because I had several issues that made it impossible to move quickly at the time the interviewers called. It was frustrating, but at least I know I can get some interest in my resume.

In the meantime, I still have a stable job and am trying to make the best of the current situation. Unlike you, I do like my current area, but it's just the pay that is an issue. It's still much better to look WITH a job than without. I know people who quit their jobs and they had much more difficulty finding something new. In their defense, I think they probably would have been laid off shortly anyway, but it is so much harder to find something when you don't have a job.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:00 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
I would stick it out another year or two at least. In the meantime, do whatever you can to bulk up your resume:

-Are there certifications or classes you can afford to take?

-Can you volunteer to serve on a nonprofit board or something that will look really great on your resume?

-Can you ask for extra responsibilities at work just so you can brag about your accomplishments on your resume? The goal is to show you are ready to take on the next level of job.

-Are there extra skills you can develop--learning a new software using library books/free online tutorials, for example?

Old 09-16-2016, 07:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
I agree.

But, be more proactive in your job search for back "west".

Use vacation time to go home and do interviews and job search. Line up interviews and coordinate these with visits back home. Vacation days, etc. Also, network with friends old coworkers, college peers in your efforts to move back home.

If your main focus is simply getting back home, take a more menial job to just get you back there....But you have got to be focused on the goal.

You haven't wasted a year, you've gained a year of gainful employment, and experience. Use this to help you move forward now.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:03 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone

Another weekend and I stayed in. I do try to travel out of town, try to upgrade skills and do things but I just can't bear this small town anymore. The money isn't even good and this was supposed to be a temporary stop. I'm going apply some of the advice you all posted, but I don't think I can stay here past a few months max. I have already stuck it out for over a year.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:27 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workwork16 View Post
Thanks for all the replies everyone

Another weekend and I stayed in. I do try to travel out of town, try to upgrade skills and do things but I just can't bear this small town anymore. The money isn't even good and this was supposed to be a temporary stop. I'm going apply some of the advice you all posted, but I don't think I can stay here past a few months max. I have already stuck it out for over a year.
See, when you say "already ... a year", you're using job-hopper mentality. Employers read that as "barely ... a year and already leaving". You do what you wish of course, but your lack of commitment is not endearing to prospective employers.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
See, when you say "already ... a year", you're using job-hopper mentality. Employers read that as "barely ... a year and already leaving". You do what you wish of course, but your lack of commitment is not endearing to prospective employers.
Does it make sense to stay in a low paying job in a bad city? There's a mismatch of what i know i can get in the job market. Over one year seems long enough to me in this position.

I am all for staying in a job for the next 5+ years but location is important to me so is the pay.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:33 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Continue looking for whatever you want, wherever you want while remaining employed in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment