Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 01:41 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,456,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
At the end of the day, this is about people's preferences. There is no right or wrong. There will continue to be progressive workplaces with policies like this. If it's not for you, then don't work for such a company. It's that simple. But don't go around trying to rain on everyone else's parade just for the sake of being a negative nancy. That's a good way to find yourself on the outside looking in. Most people will prefer a jovial, up-tempo dog in the office over a pessimistic, grumpy pants co-worker any day.
I would call these workplaces 'regressive,' not 'progressive.'

Old 09-18-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You must work for that extraordinary one-in-a-million business where existing employees are allowed to vote on potential hires.

I'm sure people looking for work spend long hours agonizing over whether or not their future co-workers will like them.

This thread has drifted so far from reality that it's in Fantasyland now.
Well said!

Old 09-18-2016, 01:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
These people are complaining about how everyone should run their business while using company time and resources to do it. I think we should listen to them about what's right, wrong, and common sense.
You don't know what hours anyone works or what days they might have off.

You have been posting in the same time frames as everyone else here.

I'm going to take posts about dogs at work from people with screen names like goldenlove and beagle whatever with a grain of salt.

You are trying to make something that's not the norm sound like the norm. It's just not. Sure, some work places allow dogs, but not nearly the majority, or even half. The issue in the OP's case was entitled coworkers, nothing more.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:47 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Not true. The last three companies I worked at had no specific policy about it, yet we were allowed to bring our dogs into work. One shouldn't assume anything about another company just because one believes that's how it should be.

So, if a company has no policy outlawing bringing pets, one should assume it's ok to bring pets.

I am a homeowner who doesn't want pets brought into my house.

I do not feel it is my obligation to post a sign...."no pets allowed"..on my front door.

A RESPONSIBLE pet owner would never bring a pet to a friend's house , to a store, or to the job unless they knew it was allowed.

(key word...."responsible " )

Old 09-18-2016, 01:50 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
You, and a number of other posters have completely missed the point of this thread.

Co-workers bringing their pet dogs to work.

Then it should have been titled, "Co-workers not following company rules". I am sure there are other rules not being followed but the OP has fixated on the DOGS!

Old 09-18-2016, 01:52 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,756 times
Quote:
You are trying to make something that's not the norm sound like the norm. It's just not. Sure, some work places allow dogs, but not nearly the majority, or even half. The issue in the OP's case was entitled coworkers, nothing more.
Oh, so you weren't posting on company time, using a company computer? Again, these are the small perks we're afforded. If you want to go after other peoples' small perks, be prepared to give yours up as well.

Going against the status quo happens all the time. In many cases, it's what allows progress to happen.

Again, if you don't like it, then don't work at a place that does it that way. But you don't get to decide what is right and what is wrong in every office environment that exists.

You're probably right that most places like this do not have policies in place. But some places do and often times they're difficult places to get into because they are highly touted work environments that attract the top talent in the industry. Places like Google and many small tech start ups have very non-conventional work environments.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:53 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I'm the first to admit that there are hoards no smarter or less obnoxious than their dogs.

But you do?

Fascinating....
How is she doing that? She is stating that we all get to choose what kind of environment we want to work in. That if you like a formal setting, don't get a job at Facebook or Google, and if you like a laid back setting, don't get a job at Chase.

If she said she wanted to change her formal work setting to a more laid back one, that she was mad that she couldn't bring her dog to a certain work place and was complaining about it, THEN she would be trying to dictate what their corporate culture is, but she didn't. She simply said she would focus her job search on companies that DO match her preference, the exact opposite of trying to dictate culture.

I agree with the poster who said this is a non-issue in most people's lives, and the majority will never have to confront it in their workplaces.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:53 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002 Subaru View Post
I would call these workplaces 'regressive,' not 'progressive.'
It's a subjective statement. If it's not for you, then it's not for you. Choose a company culture that works for you.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Oh, so you weren't posting on company time, using a company computer? Again, these are the small perks we're afforded. If you want to go after other peoples' small perks, be prepared to give yours up as well.

Going against the status quo happens all the time. In many cases, it's what allows progress to happen.

Again, if you don't like it, then don't work at a place that does it that way. But you don't get to decide what is right and what is wrong.

You're probably right that most places like this do not have policies in place. But some places do and often times they're difficult places to get into because they are highly touted work environments that attract the top talent in the industry.
Nope. I'm certainly not stupid enough to visit CD on my work computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How is she doing that? She is stating that we all get to choose what kind of environment we want to work in. That if you like a formal setting, don't get a job at Facebook or Google, and if you like a laid back setting, don't get a job at Chase.

If she said she wanted to change her formal work setting to a more laid back one, that she was mad that she couldn't bring her dog to a certain work place and was complaining about it, THEN she would be trying to dictate what their corporate culture is, but she didn't. She simply said she would focus her job search on companies that DO match her preference, the exact opposite of trying to dictate culture.

I agree with the poster who said this is a non-issue in most people's lives, and the majority will never have to confront it in their workplaces.
The OP was complaining about dogs being brought into an office that does not allow them. The OP doesn't need to find s new place to work. His coworkers need to stop bringing their dogs to work.

Yes, because fortunately, most people still have common sense and boundaries.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Nope. I'm certainly not stupid enough to visit CD on my work computer.

The OP was complaining about dogs being brought into an office that does not allow them. The OP doesn't need to find s new place to work. His coworkers need to stop bringing their dogs to work.

Yes, because fortunately, most people still have common sense and boundaries.
'Common sense?' ... But, but, but ... that's not progressive. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment