Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 04:17 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Those are toppers for a desk. My $1200 price is for a piece of commercial grade furniture. Both will generally meet the requirements of a doctors note.
And, as someone who has been in the contract furniture business for almost 20 years, the "topper" I referenced is sturdy, well crafted, and easy to adjust. No need to pay more.

I use the exact same one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 05:01 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
OP--Please describe "adjustable desk".. I work from home as an independent contractor. I have severe arthritis and this sounds like it might be beneficial for me Of course, as an IC, I would have to pay for it, but I could make it a tax write-off. Also, I believe if the doctor writes an RX I could get insurance to pay for part of it.......

Old 09-17-2016, 05:04 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
And, as someone who has been in the contract furniture business for almost 20 years, the "topper" I referenced is sturdy, well crafted, and easy to adjust. No need to pay more.

I use the exact same one.
No doubt. We have some that are similar. If the employee only needs a small area elevated, like a computer, they are great. If they use a larger desk area, they are a bit small. Some of it also has to do with presentation. The toppers are obviously a retrofit, full desks are a bit more presentable in my opinion.

I will purchase more of both in the future.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:16 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
We recently moved several thousand people to new offices. Every one of the desks is height adjustable, and probably half the people stand at least part of the time. All of the new chairs are high quality ergonomic items. The company beleives that in the long ru, preventing ergonomic injuries far outweighs the cost of the furniture.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times
IKEA's current catalog has a sit/stand desk that adjusts with a crank for $239. In their stores they also have a motorized desk that has infinite adjustments, ergonomic for people of many heights, and it can be raised to a level appropriate for standing. I think it's around $600.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:16 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
IKEA's current catalog has a sit/stand desk that adjusts with a crank for $239. In their stores they also have a motorized desk that has infinite adjustments, ergonomic for people of many heights, and it can be raised to a level appropriate for standing. I think it's around $600.
IKEA furniture is made from low-grade materials. It isn't intended to be used in a commercial environment and will not hold up to the stress of constant hard use.

Commercial furniture is made of thicker, denser composites, thicker laminates, gears and fasteners are made heavier, better quality metal, chairs have denser foam and heavier fabrics. Commercial use furniture will cost 2-3 times IKEA prices, but it will last 10x as long.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:05 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
IKEA furniture is made from low-grade materials. It isn't intended to be used in a commercial environment and will not hold up to the stress of constant hard use.

Commercial furniture is made of thicker, denser composites, thicker laminates, gears and fasteners are made heavier, better quality metal, chairs have denser foam and heavier fabrics. Commercial use furniture will cost 2-3 times IKEA prices, but it will last 10x as long.
I'm sure OP's company already has dealers/vendors they use. We are only allowed to order from vendors who we have accounts with, I have to order a wheelchair cushion for $200 when I could get them the same one on Amazon for less than $100. Same when I was working in the school district - drove me crazy because they made me order a Simon game for $65 from their vendors' catalog, I could have gotten it at Toys R Us for $15 but wasn't allowed to.

OP's situation is just a matter of the formality of the paperwork, not cost. They haven't balked at paying for it, they just want the ADA paperwork filled out before they do.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:11 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.teach View Post
About 2 months after he wrote that note, I started a new job in AZ (moved from NYC). I decided to tell my boss about the doctor note and that I've been having back pain from sitting. They sent the letter to HR and now HR wants my doctor to fill out paperwork for ADA.

Very different from the environment I came from in NYC. When I asked my boss if I could get one - she asked me to order one for her too.
As others have said "Go with the flow" now IF they deny, that's when you get the lawyer (If you wish to make a target of yourself) and force them to accommodate you.

But in all honesty, I doubt they'll refuse if it can be shown you need it. Oh and your boss was probably being a tad sarcastic on her part.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
rather than an adjustable desk there might be an alternative such as a standing desk with a tall chair that you can sit at when you need.

at my company they always offer a custom height standing desk along with the tall chair but if you ask for an adjustable desk, it's a different process due to the cost.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
The doctor's note said you need a special desk. The paperwork the company wants your doctor to fill out, is the furniture equivalent of a doctor writing a prescription for medicine. And will be proof that the company is making an accommodation under the ADA rules, and is the proper one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment