Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 11:05 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
The insurance companies will have a field day with this! If people think car insurance is expensive now, just wait!!
It's setup that way to prevent the people from owning a driverless car so the big companies can own and run driverless car business. Probably won't be cheap until most people don't drive anymore and there's lesser need for accident insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 11:25 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
I'm concerned about security because someone can hack into the system and take control of the car. Even with cars that has all these gizmos and stuff that requires a human to operate, anyone can hack and take control of the car.
Mt guess is, they don't care about this as long as they can save money by not paying salaries to drivers.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:27 PM

24 posts, read 15,482 times
If someone has to be there to take over in case of emergency, why is it called driverless?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:33 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
How are they in the snow? Or on winding mountain roads?

Old 09-20-2016, 02:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSoul- View Post
If someone has to be there to take over in case of emergency, why is it called driverless?
That's only during the testing phase.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:14 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I have a class A CDL; but I am retired. As far as I know this push for automation is simply to eliminate more jobs. Of course the automation industry is claiming 'safer' vehicles. I'm a wait and see on that one. I have a hard enough time keeping my old PC running. I made about $75,000/year as a truck driver until I retired. In 2011, after I retired, they came out with CSA points: https://csa.fmcsa.dot.gov/default.aspx. Now our government wants us to check and get points on our licenses many different reasons. . Pre-trip inspections were hard enough without the CSA points. If I could find the exact regulations I would post them; but the government does not make it easy. With the new regulations they also go after the company. But I have no idea how robots are going to check everything from marker lights out to rusted cab bolts or loose lug nuts.

One notation for those that think all of this is great: At first it will not impact you too much. But as we get more of these vehicles on the road; they will probably slow down all traffic. If we have many on the road; it might be hard to pass or they might create their own 'safety' problems. How many of us are ready to take a long trip at the actual speed limit?

Old 09-22-2016, 04:36 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I'm well aware of that, however if you listen & watch many presentations about driverless vehicles. The goal is to have sensors all over the roads, so the cars can stay in constant communication, and better detect other cars.

These driverless cars will get into accidents because human drivers are the biggest obstacles. No computer program can detect the unpredictability of human drivers.

You can also remove multiple sensors and cameras from cars once there is a communication grid setup on the roads like an invisible track. Since GPS is not that reliable and radars are expensive and power hungry.
I agree. The infrastructure (roads) will have to be upgraded and all vehicles will have to be built with a sensor so other cars could detect each other.

I remember reading about a Tesla self drive car getting into a crash because it couldn't detect a white car. It killed the passenger who was watching a movie.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:23 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
It was a while semi, and the Tesla went full speed under it....

Old 09-22-2016, 10:09 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,129,659 times
I think it's great.

One thing that's interested would be an automation tax. I mean, that's hard. My line of work automation has basically already replaced two thirds of the workforce. It's not complete automation but the computer does a lot of work and the human operates the computer. It's very, very paperwork intensive though so you used to have probably two lower level secretarial type workers instead of a computer. That's true in basically every office setting. Basically everyone mid-level or up used to have a secretary and then the junior workers there was a secretary pool. That's kind of gone. Upper level positions (lawyers) now most likely just have a paralegal/legal assistant whereas before they'd have a secretary and a paralegal. The paralegals do more today and a firm may only have a few secretaries. Depends on the type of work they do. There's certainly a few with three or four lawyers and ten secretaries and paralegals but that's not as common these days.

Old 09-22-2016, 11:33 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I think it's great.

One thing that's interested would be an automation tax. I mean, that's hard. My line of work automation has basically already replaced two thirds of the workforce. It's not complete automation but the computer does a lot of work and the human operates the computer. It's very, very paperwork intensive though so you used to have probably two lower level secretarial type workers instead of a computer. That's true in basically every office setting. Basically everyone mid-level or up used to have a secretary and then the junior workers there was a secretary pool. That's kind of gone. Upper level positions (lawyers) now most likely just have a paralegal/legal assistant whereas before they'd have a secretary and a paralegal. The paralegals do more today and a firm may only have a few secretaries. Depends on the type of work they do. There's certainly a few with three or four lawyers and ten secretaries and paralegals but that's not as common these days.

I know some people sitting comfortably thinking their job won't be affected by automation, it affects the economy and sooner or later it will be everybody down if automation isn't shared.

Driverless car does have a net gain for society even though it will put some drivers out of work the net gain is that people can be freed from car ownership, accident prevention, and cheaper transportation for everyone is a net gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment