Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 06:56 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As long as the dole is so readily available, right. So it shouldn't be. It's also apparently really easy to steal and rob, which is another increasingly popular means of support! Then there's the tried-and-true drug dealing for supplemental income, since there will be so many idle hours to fill during the empty days and welfare plus additional benefits isn't quite enough. I'm telling you: workfare. They can live in barracks and eat in a common dining room (not junk or fast food, either) while on it. No one will starve or go homeless. Or be bored.

Problem with that is it would cost way more than just handing out a check each month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 07:18 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
As long as the dole is so readily available, right. So it shouldn't be. It's also apparently really easy to steal and rob, which is another increasingly popular means of support! Then there's the tried-and-true drug dealing for supplemental income, since there will be so many idle hours to fill during the empty days and welfare plus additional benefits isn't quite enough. I'm telling you: workfare. They can live in barracks and eat in a common dining room (not junk or fast food, either) while on it. No one will starve or go homeless. Or be bored.
Will not ever happen. Both parties would be against it. Same reason places like government food stores (with staples like flour, butter, etc) will never replace food stamps. I hope the reasons would be obvious.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:19 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Problem with that is it would cost way more than just handing out a check each month.

Not if they were doing actual w-o-r-k to offset the cost. And more expensive than paying for a comparable number of private apartments, cigs, iPhones, junk/fast food, health care necessitated by obesity, etc.? I doubt that. Communal living is quite economical. They would, of course, raise livestock and grow a garden. Job training also available! If they want better (to live independently), they can do better. Current system is ridiculous (these people don't want jobs) and, again, unsustainable...

The actual check is the least of what they receive each month. Free housing, food, medical care, utilities, and other benefits. Clearly there's plenty of cashola left over for, again, iPhones, cars, gas, lotto tickets, alcohol, cigs, and tattoos. We're being played.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:25 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,885,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
I have not had the fortune to afford college, yet, I'm still saving up.

I have sacrificed as well, soon after high school, I was accepted into many of the colleges I applied for, due to my grades. However they all wanted that 47,000 check that I could not write. I went straight into working, attempting to save some money. I worked 16 hour days sometimes. Unfortunately I was rarely paid in full due to greedy real estate developers. No time for partying or getting laid. No money for material possessions.

You were handed an education. In the form of student loans. On a silver platter. You sat in a room while someone taught you and your peers. I'm stuck by myself scavenging up any information I can find, to teach my self. I truly believe you don't even understand how privileged you are to have eaten at the "mess halls"
You could have applied for student loans just like I did. Plain and simple. I wasn't handed anything.

There were people dropping out left and right. Only the hardy could make it to graduation.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Will not ever happen. Both parties would be against it. Same reason places like government food stores (with staples like flour, butter, etc) will never replace food stamps. I hope the reasons would be obvious.
I agree. Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube at this point! And therein lies our destruction.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I'm getting close to that point I'm thinking. My plan was to get a job at the pet store (I was determined to get this job since I can literally walk to it. I tried several times) resort or a computer store. It doesn't matter. Any of those three options will do. Maybe then go back to school if I have to and get internship at the same time so I can eventually be a designer.

Plans are useless when people don't want you. I can't control what people do so what's the point? As a result my decisions never work out..doesn't help that I'm a bad decision maker. Thinking so much about my future is what stressed my stomach out and gave me gastritis. I know it was because as I was continuing to struggle to find work I started noticing symptoms. I also tried planning to keep my job coach and tell them they are not being fair to me. They weren't having it. I could literally die of stomach cancer and they'd say "oh well now I don't have to help her"

I guess if it reaches a crucial point, I'll have to go on disability. I actually kept thinking of that but I'm not one to ask for things anyway.
Well, the anxiety could be helped with Prozac or other drugs. I recommend you seeing a psychiatrist and getting that resolved first.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:33 AM

The weird thing is there are lots of jobs around the country if you are willing to relocate. For instance, back in 2008 in the depth of the recession North Dakota was having a boom. Fast food workers were making $20/hr and truckers $100k a year. Virtually no skill required.

Right now ND is in a recession but SW Louisiana (Lake Charles) is going through a big boom. Very cheap cost of living and jobs galore. Skilled jobs are paying $75k - $150k and fast food jobs are at least $15/hr because they can't find enough workers. Construction everywhere, hotels, restaurants, etc... popping up.

I tell all my unemployed friends about it but they usually give excuses like they like city life, etc... But for those that want jobs, there are really easy "pickins" if you are willing to move...

Old 09-30-2016, 07:51 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I have a question about these millennials just playing video games all day. As a hardworking Gen X-er I can't relate. I mean we played video games at arcades in the day and I've played my fair share of video games, I just can't understand the following:
1. Don't young men want to get out and explore the world? I wanted to just get out of my parents house. I wanted to see the world, do things...
2. How long do they plan to stay? Do they plan to stay until their parents die? Will they take care of their parents when they get old and have health problems?
3. What will they do to survive once their parents die?

You have to wonder if their short term approach to life is going to bite them in the butt later down the line...
I think generalizing this to millennials is unfair. Every generation has had both hardworking and lazy people. I don't think that is something that will ever change...

Old 09-30-2016, 07:52 AM

Generalizations generally become generalizations for a reason... Generally speaking!

Old 09-30-2016, 07:54 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
We're reaching a point in history and technological development that not every person will have to work, or not work as many hours as in the past. It's very hard for some people to accept
This is very true and we are slow to adapt. I personally have a good job and earn a good living. I spend 40 hours per week in the office, but in all honesty my job could be performed in far fewer hours than that, mostly due to technological advances. I think a lot of people are in the same boat but not willing to admit it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment