Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2016, 01:48 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post

I don't know how someone can game for all those hours day after day. Most games nowadays do not have that amount of content in it. I can see online gaming being time consuming, but those games are usually just grinding or doing repetitive tasks hour after hour. Maybe I'm just getting older and no longer see the appeal.

I could easily game with my favs for a long time if I gave myself the time but that is with the more classic titles so I know what you mean. Part of the reason I feel really old is looking at games today. Of course my philosophy is "whatever floats your boat" but it still makes me kinda sad and bored because it is only geared towards simplistic gamers. I don't see the appeal of most of the games like Candy Crush (Panda Pop I play on occasion though not for long sessions) yet somehow they are popular and a game like Tap Tap Revenge is off the store. Tap Tap Revenge I guess is kinda repetitive if you really thought about it but it's my favorite mobile game because you can pick various songs and the orbs change spots with the songs. People tried to recreate it with knock off versions in recent years but it just wasn't the same.
Lucky for me I can sometimes find classic games that I might have missed (for instance I just got different versions of Spyro for Game Boy Advance) but if they're not making any more new titles then you are more limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Combining my other interests with working 8+ hours a day and commuting leaves very little time for gaming. .
It sounds really backwards especially when it probly seems like I have lots of time posting on here but I would feel like I had more time if I had a regular job like you. When I am actually motivated to do my sites, I never have time. Although lately I've been trying to decrease my time so it's been only a few hours that I devote nonstop but then oop a survey comes along in my email periodically throughout the day so I feel like I'm at the beck and call of these companies. If I had a boss they would make me go home. They wouldn't typically surprise me with new work. Once I'm home, I am done.
When I'm on here more, I guess I do have time but I'm not motivated to even play a game. I feel like because I didn't do my sites that day, I don't deserve to have fun. My mom always says it's okay you didn't do your sites but I feel like absolute crap..even my body punishes me as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 02:31 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
No. I made the mistake of studying a Bachelors in Chemical Engineering. Anyway, I am glad for your success in your career.
Then head to Houston. The oil industry needs plenty of people like you. I heard starting salaries are $80k.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:47 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
I believe the reasons given in this article. Thank God I'm not one of these men.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:50 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
They need money to live. They cannot possibly be unemployed forever. Their parents will die eventually. Then what? Even if their parents die and the house gets passed to them, who's going to pay for their food, clothes? They cannot be unemployed forever. Not many people enjoy work, but they're going to have to hunker down and work.
This says it well. Even if only e has money, life is interesting when a person does hinks they are passionate about something. Sitting around the house and chilling is boring. We all need jobs and careers, not only for money but also to feel productive as people.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:22 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
This says it well. Even if only e has money, life is interesting when a person does hinks they are passionate about something. Sitting around the house and chilling is boring. We all need jobs and careers, not only for money but also to feel productive as people.
Idk most people only work for the paycheck.
I know I do.
If it wasn't for the paycheck no one would work

Old 09-30-2016, 04:08 PM

144 posts, read 115,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You could have applied for student loans just like I did. Plain and simple. I wasn't handed anything.

There were people dropping out left and right. Only the hardy could make it to graduation.
I applied for loans. I was denied.

You say that you were not handed anything. But you got approved for a loan. ????

Old 09-30-2016, 04:17 PM

144 posts, read 115,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have no idea how old you are, but even here in east TN, you can get an education affordably.

The $47,000 check is going to be for the tip-top private universities. Guess what? If you're accepted into a school that charges that much, chances are you have substantial scholarships or grants that are lowering those costs dramatically.

You can go to any of the TN community colleges to keep costs down and then use the TN transfer pathway to transfer to another in-state school and complete your degree. Yes, the economy here sucks, but there are plenty of nursing opportunities and you can work as a nurse about anywhere. Pretty much anyone could go through a CC, then to ETSU/MTSU whatever, get a BSN and be making $50k/year.

It's not a huge income but it is steady and probably better than what you're doing now.
I am 33.

What do you consider affordable? Either way I still need money to get that 15,000 CC education. Still saving up $7.25 at a time.

Community colleges around here teach equine science, seminary school, church vocations.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:07 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
b-b-b-but STEM! You should be a multimillionaire by now. Pull up them bootstraps and start pounding the pavement, shaking hands, and passing out resumes. Worked for me in the 80s!
Yeah, my grandad says all you have to do is apply for the job and anyone can buy a home, car, raise a family and earn a pension.

Last edited by High Altitude; 09-30-2016 at 05:17 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 05:25 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedgoats4sale View Post
I applied for loans. I was denied.

You say that you were not handed anything. But you got approved for a loan. ????
Yes thanks to Bill Clinton, Stafford Loans and Pell Grants were widely available in the early 90's. Out of the $25,000 tuition I had, about $23,000 was financed.

I had no credit, they were giving loans away like free money then.

Last edited by cBach; 09-30-2016 at 05:36 PM..

Old 10-01-2016, 02:48 AM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I think a lot of people here have misread the article as saying these folks are at home on government welfare. That is not the case.
Exactly. I am acquainted with several such men, now mostly in their 30s. Typically they live alone, or with their girlfriends. They work part-time, in manual labor… roofing, landscaping, warehouses. But their employment is irregular, and often for a wad of cash. Because they never enrolled in college, they have no college-debt. Because they have reasonably good mechanical skill, they manage to keep used-cars running, scouring junk-yards for parts. They're adroit users of Craigslist… furniture, appliances, and yes – video game consoles. Some brew their own beer, or moonshine. Working say 15 hours/week, they can be entirely independent from their parents or The State. They just have no desire to pursue a career. They're detached from mainstream society – and perhaps that makes them failures, in the mainstream imagination. But they're not wards of the state, parasites or dependents.

Admittedly, this is in the exurban and rural environs of a third-tier city, where cost of living remains low, and where there never was a vibrant tradition of academic achievement or economic vitality. Indeed, the men in my example extol as their proudest achievement their not being addicted to alcohol or drugs – in contrast to the predicament of so many of their peer group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment