Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 04:57 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times

Advertisements

If they can't do the job and you can't get rid of them, sometimes you promote them to get them out of where they were failing anyway and leave the people who can and do do the job well there to do it. Not 'fair', not 'right' but I know sometimes it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 05:03 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
OP never said they were in the running for the job. OP was referring to two other people at his/her workplace. Next time, read more carefully.
Sometimes you have to think as well as read. As much as it bothers the OP, it gives the impression they were the one passed over. Otherwise why would it bother them so much that someone else got the promotion. Especially when their argument is that never being late or missing a day, is their only real reason that the person that got the promotion should not have it. It sure sounds like the OP is angry for a reason and the reason in cases like this is the complainer is nearly always the one that got passed over.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:07 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
OP never said they were in the running for the job. OP was referring to two other people at his/her workplace. Next time, read more carefully.
I think OldTrader is reading quite carefully- between the lines. I get that you don't agree with him a lot of the times, but in this case it definitely seems like the OP is viewing certain traits as positives and the other person's traits as negatives. We don't really know what traits are necessary for this job.

Sometimes picking things up quickly, common sense, and being on time every day aren't all the skills you need to do something. For example, in my office, a lot of new procedures don't make a lot of sense. You might "pick it up quickly" and it "seems like common sense" to a person who isn't really thinking about it. The people who are really good at their jobs and think about the task will ask a lot of questions because they want to do the task correctly.

For example, we have one woman in my office who calls in late regularly. She has elderly/frail parents for whom she is the primary caregiver. She also asks A LOT of questions about new procedures because they don't make a lot of sense most of the time. In fact, many people in my unit who are quite good ask a lot of questions because they really know their stuff and don't just take the instructions at face value as being right, because in many cases they are wrong.

One recently promoted person isn't the person you'd think would be promoted at first glance, but she actually really knows her stuff. She's not glamorous by any means. Her intonation isn't going to win any awards, but when it comes to doing her job, she's really great at it.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:20 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think OldTrader is reading quite carefully- between the lines. I get that you don't agree with him a lot of the times, but in this case it definitely seems like the OP is viewing certain traits as positives and the other person's traits as negatives. We don't really know what traits are necessary for this job.

Sometimes picking things up quickly, common sense, and being on time every day aren't all the skills you need to do something. For example, in my office, a lot of new procedures don't make a lot of sense. You might "pick it up quickly" and it "seems like common sense" to a person who isn't really thinking about it. The people who are really good at their jobs and think about the task will ask a lot of questions because they want to do the task correctly.

For example, we have one woman in my office who calls in late regularly. She has elderly/frail parents for whom she is the primary caregiver. She also asks A LOT of questions about new procedures because they don't make a lot of sense most of the time. In fact, many people in my unit who are quite good ask a lot of questions because they really know their stuff and don't just take the instructions at face value as being right, because in many cases they are wrong.

One recently promoted person isn't the person you'd think would be promoted at first glance, but she actually really knows her stuff. She's not glamorous by any means. Her intonation isn't going to win any awards, but when it comes to doing her job, she's really great at it.
OldTrader made the same type of assumption about OP that you're accusing OP of making about the two candidates, but yet you're defending OldTrader. So let's just assume that OP is also, how did you put it? "Reading between the lines" since we're about giving certain people (we agree with) the benefit of the doubt.

Or, you know, we could all just stop making generalizations and assuming that we know everything. Because you don't. Nor does oldtrader, who constantly presumes to have a better understanding of all things on this board.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:33 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Unfortunately especially in white collar racial quota and being a female willing to put out matter more than job performance. Just one of them thing in life you have to accept. Also one thing is universal when it comes to getting ahead.... social skills matter more than job skills, or at least as much.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:57 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
OldTrader made the same type of assumption about OP that you're accusing OP of making about the two candidates, but yet you're defending OldTrader. So let's just assume that OP is also, how did you put it? "Reading between the lines" since we're about giving certain people (we agree with) the benefit of the doubt.

Or, you know, we could all just stop making generalizations and assuming that we know everything. Because you don't. Nor does oldtrader, who constantly presumes to have a better understanding of all things on this board.
Absolutely true--it needed to be said.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:14 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I've been around long enough to see this change become significant. Sure, we've always had those promoted who don't shouldn't be, but it's way more than in the past. And I don't buy the "management knows more than you do" line. Been around too long, seen too much, been in too many meetings where hiring decisions were made.

Way back when I started, many/most of my supervisors knew the job because they had done the job before promotion. Now most of the managers have never done the job and have no clue what the job entails. So they promote the person who can BS them better because they believe the BS. Example, one day another engineer and I were trying, unsuccessfully, to explain something to the clueless manager. In walks X so the manager asks him. X delivers a string of lying BS. Manager nods his head and says "see that's the way to answer a question" and leaves. X then turns to us and asks "Quick, what's the correct answer in case he ever asks me again?"
Very true.. I don't really know how people can expect to run a successful operation long term with this type of nonsense truly.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:40 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
maybe it would be too hard to replace the hard worker so they got rid of the lazy worker by promoting them ?

Old 10-26-2016, 09:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Unfortunately especially in white collar racial quota and being a female willing to put out matter more than job performance. Just one of them thing in life you have to accept. Also one thing is universal when it comes to getting ahead.... social skills matter more than job skills, or at least as much.
Racial and gender QUOTAS do not exist.

We're only getting the OP'S side of the story with limited information. For all we know, the better candidate was chosen. Why assume that what we think is always correct?

Lastly, why assume that the white, male candidate is always the better candidate?

Old 10-26-2016, 10:22 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Maybe arrangements were made for it, and just not publicly announced. I have a guy that works for me that is always punctual and enthusiastic, but I can't stand him. Another is always late because his wife works and he has trouble with his kids in the morning. He's talked to me about it, and I'm flexible because it doesn't prevent his work from getting done. I'd promote the late guy over the punctual guy 100x over.

Why 'can't you stand him?'. Is he actually better at the job, though?

This post proves the OP's point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment