Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:21 PM

363 posts, read 433,410 times

Advertisements

I live in NC. Technically I live in the "city" even though everything closes at 9:00 pm here. From what I hear, the jobs are decent in almost any field. I am in IT, and have had goodluck finding jobs.

Rent and utilities aren't bad neither, but people from other states do complain about the wage is significantly lower than most bigger states. Especially since the decent parts of our city are becoming more and more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 01:26 AM

123 posts, read 103,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Not every city is like a New York, San Francisco, or Chicago. There are many medium sized cities that have a very affordable cost of living and plenty of good jobs, for those with a marketable skill.
My thoughts exactly. I would say that NYC, San Francisco, LA, Washington DC, and possibly Miami are quite expensive. Most other cities are pretty affordable. My current city is very affordable (and is also a major metro area).

Old 10-06-2016, 05:14 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Around here we have all the low wage retail, fast food, restaurant jobs you could ever want. It is literally endless. Most around $8/hr. We have so many jobs like this that some big chains are bringing people in from out of the country on work programs.

We also have lots of low paying trade work jobs. $10-12/hr but most places will only hire experienced people. Very, very few no experience entry level, but it does seem to be slowly increasing as of late.

Mid to high paying professional jobs, good luck with that. They are out there, but rare.

Entry level professional, doesn't exist much at all. Everyone wants a few years experience minimum.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:36 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,504 times
Anybody know of any entry level professional gigs anywhere they are taking people without experience? I'm willing to go anywhere for a job that pays 40k+. Even non professional trade jobs ok. Just looking for a foot in the door for wife and I. We have bachelors and clean pp. Anyone know of anything specific happening right now where they are taking in new people to train?

Old 10-07-2016, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Around here we have all the low wage retail, fast food, restaurant jobs you could ever want. It is literally endless. Most around $8/hr. We have so many jobs like this that some big chains are bringing people in from out of the country on work programs.

We also have lots of low paying trade work jobs. $10-12/hr but most places will only hire experienced people. Very, very few no experience entry level, but it does seem to be slowly increasing as of late.

Mid to high paying professional jobs, good luck with that. They are out there, but rare.

Entry level professional, doesn't exist much at all. Everyone wants a few years experience minimum.
Here we are seeing fast food places with "Now Hiring" signs showing start pay at $13-14/hour. Our Domino's Pizza in fact, showed a $500 hiring bonus for delivery drivers, and "up to $25/hour with tips."
With the cheapest studio apartment at $1,400 (and not that many here) the employees are taking the bus in from other, less expensive areas.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:16 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here we are seeing fast food places with "Now Hiring" signs showing start pay at $13-14/hour. Our Domino's Pizza in fact, showed a $500 hiring bonus for delivery drivers, and "up to $25/hour with tips."
With the cheapest studio apartment at $1,400 (and not that many here) the employees are taking the bus in from other, less expensive areas.
Seattle is a whole other world compared to here (Knoxville).

Just the other day I saw a studio apartment in the absolute best location right across the street from the University (UTK) and is is going for $400/month.

You can get a 2bd in a OK location for $600 a month.

I will say this though, the amount of people moving in is crazy right now. They are building residential and commercial all over. The most I have ever seen. It isn't going to be dirt cheap forever.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:17 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Mod cut.
Be a real American and MOVE to where the jobs are.

I have no patience with people who hunker down in their little spot and whine about not being able to find work. The American economy has always succeeded due to the willingness of Americans to be mobile
How many can just afford to pick up and move? It cost us a small fortune to move across the country...and what about all those people who were promised oil jobs in North Dakota a couple years ago then had to live in communes basically because the deal fell through?....

Old 10-07-2016, 05:20 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
I live in NC. Technically I live in the "city" even though everything closes at 9:00 pm here. From what I hear, the jobs are decent in almost any field. I am in IT, and have had goodluck finding jobs.

Rent and utilities aren't bad neither, but people from other states do complain about the wage is significantly lower than most bigger states. Especially since the decent parts of our city are becoming more and more expensive.
It is true that larger metro areas don't always mean better jobs,it depends on many things as well as qualifications. I was in Philadelphia for years and the opportunities weren't much better than here in WA state. There are some areas like NC etc that have that balance.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:28 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,532,838 times
It has improved from last year. I have been looking since layoff July 2015 in Columbus Ohio. There are tons of low level retail and delivery jobs even before the holiday hiring started. Also many warehouse/labor jobs paying 12-14/hr. Above that it gets tough. Few mid level jobs paying 30-45K, many more at 50-70K but you have to have a 4 yr degree. Every job demands specific experience in the software or program or technology in use, without experience you don't have much chance.

However many people here must have good paying jobs, 2-300K houses often get sold within days.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:39 AM

687 posts, read 616,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
This sounds similar to Nashville. Unemployment under 4%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Seattle is a whole other world compared to here (Knoxville).

Just the other day I saw a studio apartment in the absolute best location right across the street from the University (UTK) and is is going for $400/month.

You can get a 2bd in a OK location for $600 a month.

I will say this though, the amount of people moving in is crazy right now. They are building residential and commercial all over. The most I have ever seen. It isn't going to be dirt cheap forever.
I have been finding so many listings for jobs in Tennessee that I would enjoy. Man, this is starting to sound tempting. Too bad I am a coastal kind of girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment