Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 07:09 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times

Advertisements

I agree with whoever said every day is too much. I think weekly, or every other week is better. Or, rather than asking what they plan to do, look at what they have accomplished. Set a goal for the end of the month, and check progress. I'm picturing a face to face meeting, more than an e-mail.

How it is viewed by the employees will depend on the employee. Some will see it as motivation. Others will see it as a waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 04:55 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,641,660 times
OP, if you were my boss, I would hate doing this. I know I'm the employee, but I don't need to be babysat!!!! Leave me alone and give me some freedom to do my job.

But that's just me. I read your next post about your employees being college students. Well, if that's what you think they need to stay on track, then do it. I personally would hate it because I work hard, have a sense of responsibility to my job, and not a slacker at all.

How many employees do you manage? I imagine it would be a pain and confusing and very time consuming to do this.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,641,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
From my perspective as an employee this sounds like something I would hate. Make it clear what people need to accomplish and when it needs to be finished. It's okay to check in from time to time, but something regular and formal like this would have me sending out my resume tomorrow.

Personally I would find it insulting. I know what I need to accomplish at work. If my boss has questions I have no problem discussing them with her. If I have questions or issues on my end I go to her. I think this is a healthy relationship based on mutual trust.

If the people in these positions can't be trusted to get their jobs done they are the wrong people. The interview process should screen for candidates who are driven and can work independently.

IMO there is no worse feeling in the office than that of your boss watching your every move.
I completely agree with this.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:42 PM

120 posts, read 110,208 times
Some people need micromanagement but to micromanage as default is not usually welcomed.

Personally, that would really bug me, but I'm senior staff and I manage people as well as doing my own work.

That being said, I have one specific colleague I think I need to start doing this on a weekly basis with. They're having a hard time prioritizing and while I try to remind them I also have my own work to do.

I have one person that I do this on a daily basis in a way. I started out e-mail the list at the beginning of the day and they respond usually the next morning. Now they e-mail me a list in the morning, and if I need to add something set a priority I do. But they have poorly managed ADHD and asked me to do this to help them. They are very good at their actual job.

If they are having specific issues I would talked to them, individually if possible, and ask if sending a weekly list would help. I wouldn't do daily unless you did super time sensitive work.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:52 PM

924 posts, read 751,041 times
We did this during the first year I was at the library, although it was a weekly email to the branch manager, and just a general summary of what you'd done at work that week.

With my office assistant job, I had a weekly "To Do" list that was put together by the church's then-pastor and the Personnel Committee.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:20 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,466 times
I decided to not go ahead with the daily email reports. Glad I reflected on it before implementing. I'm going to put additional focus on providing specific work assignments and expectations and take it from there on an individual basis as they gain more experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment