Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 12:47 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times

Advertisements

So I am going to graduate college in May so I look at job postings in my prospective field from time to time to see you know, what the future looks like.

I found a job that's in my field and according to the company website it says entry-level! Now, I am finding a hard time finding a job that actually means entry-level without being an unpaid internship. So I scrolled down experience, and guess what it says, FOUR YEARS of experience! And internships don't count! On top of that, it is requiring certifications which require work experience as I have looked up these certifications.

So how exactly is that entry level? Professional certifications, which require work experience, and four years of non-internship work experience.

When I graduate university I will have three internships, some professional certifications, hopefully this third one in the prospective field as the other two are not, I do have a letter of recommendation from a professor, good grades, it is just AMAZINGLY BLEAK for someone like me. Now, I assume that if these jobs didn't have enough applicants they'd look at someone with less experience, but is that really the case anymore? How are us youngins supposed to get in anywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 12:59 AM

687 posts, read 616,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
So I am going to graduate college in May so I look at job postings in my prospective field from time to time to see you know, what the future looks like.

I found a job that's in my field and according to the company website it says entry-level! Now, I am finding a hard time finding a job that actually means entry-level without being an unpaid internship. So I scrolled down experience, and guess what it says, FOUR YEARS of experience! And internships don't count! On top of that, it is requiring certifications which require work experience as I have looked up these certifications.

So how exactly is that entry level? Professional certifications, which require work experience, and four years of non-internship work experience.

When I graduate university I will have three internships, some professional certifications, hopefully this third one in the prospective field as the other two are not, I do have a letter of recommendation from a professor, good grades, it is just AMAZINGLY BLEAK for someone like me. Now, I assume that if these jobs didn't have enough applicants they'd look at someone with less experience, but is that really the case anymore? How are us youngins supposed to get in anywhere?
Apply anyway, and explain that you plan on getting the certs in a cover letter. It never hurts to try. Sometimes employers will post for their ideal candidate but if you are motivated, sound like a good fit, and interview well, they may lax the "years experience" requirements. At least, this is what I have seen in my profession. It may be different in other professions.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
Apply anyway, and explain that you plan on getting the certs in a cover letter. It never hurts to try. Sometimes employers will post for their ideal candidate but if you are motivated, sound like a good fit, and interview well, they may lax the "years experience" requirements. At least, this is what I have seen in my profession. It may be different in other professions.
Well I am not ready yet, I am just looking to see what prospects look like. But as far as "entry-level" goes, it seems to mean a minimum of 3 years of work experience and like I said previously, certifications that require work experience.

I'll have some career-related certifications by the time of graduation, but not all of the ones they are asking for.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:29 AM

687 posts, read 616,243 times
Quote:
Well I am not ready yet, I am just looking to see what prospects look like. But as far as "entry-level" goes, it seems to mean a minimum of 3 years of work experience and like I said previously, certifications that require work experience.

I'll have some career-related certifications by the time of graduation, but not all of the ones they are asking for.
I would honestly take the years experience with a grain of salt. I have had interviewers tell me that the years experience was actually negotiable, even though the ad listed them as a requirement. It depends on the job, so if you see entry level requested, that is a clue they might be open to the right person whom has less experience.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilide View Post
I would honestly take the years experience with a grain of salt. I have had interviewers tell me that the years experience was actually negotiable, even though the ad listed them as a requirement. It depends on the job, so if you see entry level requested, that is a clue they might be open to the right person whom has less experience.
Man I really hope that is the case. Otherwise it might as well be the Great Depression 2.0 for Millennials. It seems though the job market looks good if you are a Gen X or an old Millennial. I'm on the young end of the generation.

This was at a hospital but not in a traditional clinical position, I know getting jobs in healthcare is sort of the go-to trend besides tech for stability and money and so on. So I think they are extra competitive. My field looks more at the public sector and relies a lot on the public sector (even in private sector) to do job duties. Government seems to be even more competitive, since it's known for being stable and good life balance despite lower pay. But my field is probably 90% public sector, and 10% private, if I had to take a guess. Maybe a little less drastic than that but still a heavy majority in government.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:47 AM

123 posts, read 103,884 times
I applied to a bunch of jobs that required a ton of experience. I ended up getting interviews and offers at some of them. Just apply anyway and see what happens.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:04 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:

Also keep in mind that employers will post both the required qualification and the preferred qualifications in ads. I've applied for, and won, several positions where I met the required qualifications but not the preferred ones.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Entry level means the lowest level positions in that department at that company. Those jobs requiring no experience would be "trainee." Even then, most employers will take someone with experience if available, over someone with none. It's simply good business to minimize the lost production time in training. The solution is internships, sadly there are not enough of those to go around, so it's going to be difficult to get a foot in the door at employers with a good career path.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:45 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Typically entry level means lowest pay scale for that position. They may want certain experience, skills, certs, etc., but will also consider no experience candidates. You may just need to take what you can get and move up in the ranks once you establish some experience.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:54 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
"All my best hires had significant experience with internships during and after college, because they were stellar in their field and didn't waste their time with part time jobs that were unrelated to the industry. They took a lowball salary too, showing their commitment to the workplace. They're not too worried, because they didn't have to work in college and they have rent assistance from their parents."

-Hiring guy from half the industry in expensive cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment