Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2016, 06:51 AM

196 posts, read 388,588 times

Advertisements

I recall when I was young, one of the first jobs I had was a security guard for a fly-by-night company. They assigned me to a trucking company drop off warehouse. The trucks were in a yard, with a gas pump. I was instructed to call the owner if there were any "environmental issues", one of them specified was if the pumps were leaking.

So here I am, making minimum wage, outside all night in some truck yard. i am fresh on the job, trying to do what they ask. I go on my rounds, and lo-and-behold, one of the pumps was leaking. So as instructed I call the owner. He answers the phone irritated already.

"What, what - who is this???"
"I'm (my name) working at your truck yard..."
"Why are you calling me?"
"Well I was told to call you if there was an issue..."
"Well what [mod cut] is it?"
"One of you pumps is leaking."
"Look you [mod cut], don't you ever call me! What [mod cut] is this [mod cut]?"
"Hey, I was just doing as I was instructed, no need to get disrespectful!"
"I OWN that place, I can get disrespectful if i [mod cut] want to, I'll have you fired!"
"What are you so angry about?"
"[mod cut], calling me this time at night - I don't have to talk to you, I'll make sure you don't have a job..."
At that point I was done being polite and told him do do what he wants and go [mod cut].

So a short while later the shift supervisor shows up and pulls me from the location. I explained what happened and they tried to blame it on me. They went from "call him if there are any issues" to "you shouldn't be calling him"...

Within two weeks of working there I quit, because I found out that only some employees were getting minimum wage, with no rhyme or reason why- and others getting paid as much as $23.00 per hour doing the same work; and because I was sick and they begged me to work a shift, begging so hard that I said I'll TRY AND SEE. But when I almost passed out they had to take me off. As I was walking to my apartment after the shift supervisor dropped me off, he concludes that I "didn't look sick". So he tries to get me fired under that [mod cut]. They didn't fire me but they kept that as a warning, and I told the boss that day I am quitting because I cannot and will not work under those kinds of conditions - especially for minimum wage. He actually tried to convince me to stay, but I was DONE - his argument didn't include paying me what the non-minimum wage guards were paying anyway. And I told him as long as that other guy was working there, there was no way I'm going to feel secure working for that company.

That is but one example, and it isn't the worst I have heard. I just want to know - why is there this thought that if you are getting low pay, you should suffer abuses on the job as well? Shouldn't it be the opposite? Your SAVING MONEY for the greedy bastards by accepting poor pay - so shouldn't they show you appreciation instead of debasing you further? Isn't low pay punishment enough?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-09-2016 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:00 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
My experience is that these companies are fine with constantly training new hires to replace the ones that quit or get fired. I've worked a few of these jobs. I've been at a couple that had to constantly train new hires, and by constantly, I mean every week or two. They'd rather do that than pay decent wages and keep good people around. The good ones will always find something better. These employers tend to be abusive, and take advantage of people.

I recently finished going "back to school" and the first job I could find in my degree field, is a revolving door type of job. No one stays there long. They pay well below the average, and abuse people. I"m not planing on being there much longer myself. I didn't go back to school to be taken advantage of, and abused.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:07 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Because the worker costs little to hire and train and can be easily replaced so there is little incentive to keep them around.

Another experience I have had was working retail and being managed by angry and bitter college grads that were mad that they ended up in retail.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:17 AM

196 posts, read 388,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Because the worker costs little to hire and train and can be easily replaced so there is little incentive to keep them around.

Another experience I have had was working retail and being managed by angry and bitter college grads that were mad that they ended up in retail.
i understand that there are revolving door companies who have no intentions on keeping workers - but I am more wondering about the abusive part. Even if you are a company that doesn't want to pay, even if you don't want to keep workers around because you can just hire new ones at the lowest scale - that doesn't mean you have to be abusive to the workers. Im talking about creating hostile working conditions.

And those employers must be really dumb, because instead of hiring people and finding reasons to fire them - they could just hire temporary employees and getting the same result and expectation without the abuse.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magusat999 View Post
i understand that there are revolving door companies who have no intentions on keeping workers - but I am more wondering about the abusive part. Even if you are a company that doesn't want to pay, even if you don't want to keep workers around because you can just hire new ones at the lowest scale - that doesn't mean you have to be abusive to the workers. Im talking about creating hostile working conditions.

And those employers must be really dumb, because instead of hiring people and finding reasons to fire them - they could just hire temporary employees and getting the same result and expectation without the abuse.

The abuse is usually because the managers are miserable themselves and take it out on the employees. Very common in revolving door industries. I worked for a manager who was very upset his psychology degree just landed him a lousy retail job.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:40 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Well.. You can be a well paid middle manager and be treated like crap by both upper managers and people below you. Outside of upper management positions who seem to have all the authority and respect (more like everyone is scared of them, so respect on the outside), its all pretty crappy and bad treatment is everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment