Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2016, 06:03 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
No I said I stop working early on fridays which is the norm for most people. I make sure I get everything done so I can chill the last half hour of the day.
Actually, in real life, it isn't the "norm for most people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 06:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Other than avoiding having everyone in the department off at the same time, it's pretty much take any day if you have the time. I actually took more / longer weekends in September than the OP.

But I also had a lot of vacation to burn. Still got enough left to take Thanksgiving week off, plus some.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:09 AM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
It depends on the kind of work you do and your company policies. Where I used to work, there was no such thing as approved vacation time unless it was requested at the beginning of the year. We couldn't ask for a day off and get it approved without coverage and making sure that nobody senior had already requested the day off. Some people didn't get anything approved. That was how it worked and you had to work your way up the ladder to get anything. Most jobs aren't like that. Barring any problems with operational needs or schedule conflicts, who cares if you take your time off on Monday? It is your vacation that is part of your benefit package.

As far as patterns go, looking for people who call in sick on Fridays and Mondays, those are 2/5ths of the workweek, nearly half. I personally rarely called in sick but I would always get sick on the weekend. If there was a sick call at all that was an infraction, regardless of the reason why. 2 days in a row was a single infraction so at my job it only made sense to call in sick 2 days in a row, might as well not push yourself to go back because if you did go back to work the next day and had to leave early that would be infraction number 2.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:41 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
So I requested to speak to HR and eventually I was told that was a rule by the old boss and I can now request any day off I want as long as I have the time.

I was about to explode because that had to be one of the stupidest rule I ever heard on a job concerning vacation days. plus I'm a person who never calls out sick and always on time and was going to be told I can't request days off even if I have the time? I been at this job for almost 3 years and this is the first time I ever been upset.
Alright--so the problem was solved. Yay for you for following it through and getting the problem solved.

I am just kind of confused by your post. Not sure why you choose to focus on the stupidest (past) rule, rather than being proud of yourself for stepping up to the plate and making change about a rule. I am all for people who do something about what they don't like rather than sit around a complain about it. Good for you.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
No I said I stop working early on fridays which is the norm for most people. I make sure I get everything done so I can chill the last half hour of the day.
Not sure where you're from, but this is not the norm for most people.

When we have employees do this, they are sent home early and it's documented in their file. Enough documentation leads to corrective action, corrective action leads to termination.

So, you are a slacker...thank you for finally clarifying that for me.

As for your call offs...get your story straight...one post you say you never call off the next one you say you have three...again, another 'norm' for you. Three in a year results in the first step of corrective action in our organization.

Old 10-19-2016, 05:18 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Not sure where you're from, but this is not the norm for most people.

When we have employees do this, they are sent home early and it's documented in their file. Enough documentation leads to corrective action, corrective action leads to termination.

So, you are a slacker...thank you for finally clarifying that for me.

As for your call offs...get your story straight...one post you say you never call off the next one you say you have three...again, another 'norm' for you. Three in a year results in the first step of corrective action in our organization.

When it comes to sick days, I always call out 3 times a year. So it maybe February, July,.and November which is why I have so much sick time. And most people who work in a office environment start to shut down a little eRlier on Friday afternoon because the weekend is approaching. It's not obvious but no one is processing anything after 4pm on a friday especially if Monday is a holiday.

I had a supervisor a few years ago who would always say this if I came to him with a issue on a friday after 4pm

"Let's worry about that on Monday"

Old 10-19-2016, 05:49 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Quote:
When it comes to sick days, I always call out 3 times a year. So it maybe February, July,.and November which is why I have so much sick time. And most people who work in a office environment start to shut down a little eRlier on Friday afternoon because the weekend is approaching. It's not obvious but no one is processing anything after 4pm on a friday especially if Monday is a holiday.

I had a supervisor a few years ago who would always say this if I came to him with a issue on a friday after 4pm

"Let's worry about that on Monday"
Look for another job.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:32 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Look for another job.

Why?

Old 10-19-2016, 06:36 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

He also said he contacted HR, then that HR contacted him.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:43 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,879 times
Quote:
Why?
Because they are probably looking for another employee....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment