Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 11:18 AM

6,535 posts, read 8,342,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
Well I make sure I request it in a enough time so it will be approved. Like with the 31st, I requested on 10/14 Instead of 10/24
And with them noticing the pattern, they may begin denying your requests - no matter how far in advance you submit the request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 11:19 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,023,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I'm a supervisor in a service environment, and I have a guy who like his Mondays off as well. If his request is denied, then he calls in sick. Not much I can do with that one as he's union and has the time. I can refuse a request if I think it will put our service team in a bad spot trying to cover his load. When he calls in, his coworkers get upset far more than I do; they now have to pull his share in addition to their own, and having to work late on a Monday night sucks when it happens often.

A day here or there isn't bad, and we all have had times when we want a three day weekend. But taking it off all time is noticed by both management and coworkers, and it can lead to serious problems down the road. When my boss asks who's reliable and ready to move into a larger role in the company, the guy who can't seem to find his way to work on Monday isn't typically going to be at the top of the list.

my issue was i been doing this every September since 2014 so why all of a sudden there was a problem? Especially since I'm always on time, never call out sick, and do my job effectively.

Maybe in the future I will spread it out a bit and do every other monday in the same month instead of back to back

Old 10-17-2016, 11:20 AM

45,114 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Quote:
my issue was i been doing this every september since 2014 so why all of a sudden there was a problem? Especially since i'm always on time, never call out sick, and do my job effectively.

Maybe in the future i will spread it out a bit and do every other monday in the same month instead of back to back

whoosh.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:24 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,330,651 times
Quote:
my issue was i been doing this every September since 2014 so why all of a sudden there was a problem? Especially since I'm always on time, never call out sick, and do my job effectively.

Maybe in the future I will spread it out a bit and do every other monday in the same month instead of back to back
Maybe someone wrote a CD post about a co-worker always taking Mondays off and the responses inspired them to complain to the boss.

I also had a job or two where they would watch for "patterns" with people taking off Mondays/Fridays. At my job now, anyone can have their requests denied, doesn't matter if they have the time or not. It's not USUAL for the request to be denied, but it could be.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:26 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,064,847 times
If you've been taking Mondays like this for the entire three years you've been with the company, then this boss must have had some crazy reason for bringing it up. That's not your issue it's his, but I also would be curious as to why now?

However I must say asking for a day two weeks ahead is not exactly the most notice I've ever heard of. I think it's actually kind of last minute. Schedules where I work are posted three weeks ahead. Asking for time after that is for emergencies only.

I will say that If someone else wants a day I've already asked for, that's not my problem.

IF it happens that more people want a given day off than can be allowed off, well then, let's put rules in place that everyone knows what the rules and policies are.

At some places, such as where I work, we may have CTO and personal days -- but the only time you are GUARANTEED to get approved and that bosses HAVE to give -- is vacation time. Personal and CTO day requests CAN be denied. (Boss can say I can't let you have hat day.) For a while under a previous manager that attitude forced a lot of people not to even ask, they just called out sick. And we all said, Oh well. We tried to work with the boss by asking so he'd have notice and would be able to schedule and plan. But if we're going to get denied, we'll just call out sick -- and he won't have ANY notice, and it will scr ew co-workers who are stuck at work and can't leave, because their relief called out. Sometimes we'd let each other know -- "heads up, I WILL be calling out sick for tomorrow." And if the co-worker would give attitude -- fine next time I just call out and won't even give you the courtesy tell you…so you'll find out about after you're already at work and didn't plan to stay…. (This boss had said no days off for even kids weddings and college graduations.)

Because of vacation selection by seniority, one person had wot swap shifts to get time off for HIS OWN wedding. Now THAT is crazy.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:31 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,919,684 times
If you use vacation, it shouldn't matter what day it is unless there is a real strong reason to refuse- like a big deadline or something. Two weeks (or whatever vacation you have) is two weeks. It's called a BENEFIT.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:32 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,023,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
And with them noticing the pattern, they may begin denying your requests - no matter how far in advance you submit the request.
Pattern should only be a issue with calling out sick

Old 10-17-2016, 11:39 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
If you use vacation, it shouldn't matter what day it is unless there is a real strong reason to refuse- like a big deadline or something. Two weeks (or whatever vacation you have) is two weeks. It's called a BENEFIT.
Generally I agree with this, but I don't think requesting the same day off for no real reason every other week is a good idea. The OP is probably going through his pto as fast as he earns it. That doesn't look good to the boss, and isn't smart, either.

I understand taking an occasional day off just because, but this pattern tells his boss and coworkers that he can't handle a 5 day work week.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
Quote:
Says who?

Old 10-17-2016, 11:43 AM

6,535 posts, read 8,342,414 times
Quote:
But it's not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment