Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:06 PM

679 posts, read 811,711 times

Advertisements

If you are not the boss, then your work schedule is up to them, not you.
Yes, you have gotten away with it in the past, but now they are on to you.

I never have an employee who tells me what they will work or not work, its not their call.

In this job environment, there are plenty of people (or automation) to replace difficult employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 01:29 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Work rules can change at any time-especially if something is brought to the attention of the higher ups. OP may have coasted under the radar until now but someone may have finally brought it to the attention to someone on a higher level than his boss.

Where are you getting so many days to take time off? You said that you don't call out sick- do you have that many personal days to use? Do you mention during interviews that you need Mondays off because you are not a "Monday" person?
We don't get PTO just sick and vacation days. We also get 2 floating holidays for Christmas and Easter

Old 10-17-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortgageboss View Post
If you are not the boss, then your work schedule is up to them, not you.
Yes, you have gotten away with it in the past, but now they are on to you.

I never have an employee who tells me what they will work or not work, its not their call.

In this job environment, there are plenty of people (or automation) to replace difficult employees.
I was informed that the pattern rule was from the old boss and it is no longer a rule regarding vacation. So I can now request any day off I want as long as I have the time and ok with the supervisor

Old 10-17-2016, 01:37 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Yeah-it's probably because someone else wanted that day off-maybe the boss thought they had a better reason.

I would love a 4 day week-they'd be long days (10 hours) but the 3 day weekend would be worth it.

At my job it goes my seniority if too many people want the same day off. I know some people that have been here for years and years with a bunch of time-some take off whole Months, like every June for one person I know of. Now THAT is a pattern.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I was informed that the pattern rule was from the old boss and it is no longer a rule regarding vacation. So I can now request any day off I want as long as I have the time and ok with the supervisor
Ya but they don't have to approve it.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:54 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
I worked in Workforce Management for a company for a few years. It was my job to setup people's schedules, approve time off, work with FMLA etc.

Patterns were part of my job to look for. If you have a pattern, they can deny you. They have a limit of employees who can take those days off and while you did indeed request it in advance, they may deny you due to patterns.

That being said, if HR says it's not a rule anymore then that's probably that.

I really wouldn't take it to heart. The supervisor was likely doing what he (thought) he was supposed to do.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:06 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
At the phone company we have a simple solution to this challenge. Simple, as in something everyone spends ALOT OF TIME ON all year long.

You have a work force management [system] with slots allocated every day. If there are remaining slots when you request them, then you get them. Phone company union jobs. But work center management operates the same, essentially.

It beings when you pass around the vacation schedule for "next year". And continues throughout the year.

OBVIOUSLY Mondays have the fewest slots and are usually filled by people who take the full week as scheduled vacation.

This system also applies to people calling in at the last minute for a day. You can usually forget about it.

Your company is correct in recognizing their challenge but behind the times in their methods.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:07 PM

4,045 posts, read 2,128,844 times
[quote=renter16;45853542]I'm not a monday person and always been taking mondays off in the fall and winter. /quote]

What exactly is a Monday person? Do you have lunaediesophobia, which is an actual fear of Mondays? Do you spend all of Monday huddled in bed with the covers over?

I'm retired. Don't know if I was a Monday person, but I was an employee and I had to play by their rules. Didn't always like their rules, which is why I escaped the work world at age 52. Maybe it would do you better to stop telling yourself the story that you aren't a Monday person. Start telling yourself that you are their employee. You work at their pleasure and sometimes your needs/wants and theirs won't match. (And couldn't you still have a 3 day weekend sometime if you took Fridays off instead of Mondays?)

In a service environment, you will need to share with your co-workers to make sure everyone gets their turn at not being a Monday person and getting 3 day weekends. I do get that you were allowed to take off a number of Mondays, so you didn't expect this, but you took off one too many and maybe other people complained that they always have to be Monday people.

Count your blessings. You have a job. It went well for a long time---I believe you said three years that you never got angry. It's up to you to keep up a good attitude, even if that involves working Mondays like most people who work full-time.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:07 PM

[quote=jazzcat22;45856993]
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I'm not a monday person and always been taking mondays off in the fall and winter. /quote]

What exactly is a Monday person? Do you have lunaediesophobia, which is an actual fear of Mondays? Do you spend all of Monday huddled in bed with the covers over?

I'm retired. Don't know if I was a Monday person, but I was an employee and I had to play by their rules. Didn't always like their rules, which is why I escaped the work world at age 52. Maybe it would do you better to stop telling yourself the story that you aren't a Monday person. Start telling yourself that you are their employee. You work at their pleasure and sometimes your needs/wants and theirs won't match. (And couldn't you still have a 3 day weekend sometime if you took Fridays off instead of Mondays?)

In a service environment, you will need to share with your co-workers to make sure everyone gets their turn at not being a Monday person and getting 3 day weekends. I do get that you were allowed to take off a number of Mondays, so you didn't expect this, but you took off one too many and maybe other people complained that they always have to be Monday people.

Count your blessings. You have a job. It went well for a long time---I believe you said three years that you never got angry. It's up to you to keep up a good attitude, even if that involves working Mondays like most people who work full-time.
My anger was well hidden this morning

Old 10-17-2016, 03:08 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
we had to fire someone because we get three week vacation and he took off 15 mondays in a row. why did we fire him, because somebody has to cover his work while he was out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment