Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 08:43 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
I'm am surprised at the sentiment in this thread. The OP gets x days off, who cares when they take it? Is it any less painful for the business if he is gone five Mondays in a row versus one week? I guess it depends on the line of work, but I don't understand it.

IMO it's up to the business to staff appropriately for the benefits they offer. If the business is staffed so lightly that nobody can take the vacation they are offered, that is a problem.

After reading this thread, no wonder the US has the worst working benefits of any first world country. You guys all seem to wallow in it!
Not difficult to understand at all. You can plan to cover someone gone for a week or two weeks and then back to work and someone else can go. But when someone takes a consistent pattern of single days off, it disrupts the work flow repeatedly. Also, which I've seen happen, is Fred wants to take a week off, but nope, Barney is off Monday so you can't have that. Fred says, well dang, that kills my week long vacation because instead of five days and two weekends, it's now only four days and one weekend. Next week, nope, sorry, Barney has Monday off.

Now Fred is PO'd at both the boss and Barney. And is sure to let everyone know how Barney is treated special. Now the boss has to deal with worker issues all because Barney is too hung over to drag his butt to work on Monday.

That's why people care when someone takes excess Monday's off. It's all connected to the whole team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 08:43 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
That is all very commendable, but they are telling you that the one thing you are not doing is a problem. That is a little signal to you that you will need to listen to, if you value your job.

Good jobs are hard to find, and harder to keep. You have to do everything in your power to protect that income, even if it sometimes goes against what you feel.

Just some advice from an older guy who has been around the block a lot of times in his life.

Don

Old 10-17-2016, 08:49 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,087,399 times
I would probably look to replace you if I was your boss.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:52 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Not difficult to understand at all. You can plan to cover someone gone for a week or two weeks and then back to work and someone else can go. But when someone takes a consistent pattern of single days off, it disrupts the work flow repeatedly. Also, which I've seen happen, is Fred wants to take a week off, but nope, Barney is off Monday so you can't have that. Fred says, well dang, that kills my week long vacation because instead of five days and two weekends, it's now only four days and one weekend. Next week, nope, sorry, Barney has Monday off.

Now Fred is PO'd at both the boss and Barney. And is sure to let everyone know how Barney is treated special. Now the boss has to deal with worker issues all because Barney is too hung over to drag his butt to work on Monday.

That's why people care when someone takes excess Monday's off. It's all connected to the whole team.

Thinking someone is hungover would only be if they called out every other monday not requesting a monday off. Sometimes if I have a day trip out of town on a saturday I like to take off monday to make it a 3 day weekend to relax.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
I would probably look to replace you if I was your boss.
You don't replace good workers you try and make them happy so they won't leave which is why HR eliminated the old vacation day rule.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:10 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,754,147 times
We really need you here on Mondays.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Some of your co-workers may want to take PTO on a Monday but can't because you're always doing it. That could be the issue, and if it becomes a problem, they could reinstate that rule or at least place a limit on how many Mondays/Fridays you take off.
That. ^^^

Just out of curiosity, are these paid vacation days you are spreading out all year? Or do you just work when you feel like it? And how many days in advance do you have to announce your three-day weekends?

I think it would be somewhat disruptive to have employees taking off individual days any time the mood struck them, even if they had a back-up.

I once had a 40-hr-per-week job where the business was open seven days a week. Since all days had to be covered, a seniority system governed what days of the week people could take off. We couldn't even have two days off in a row until we had been on the job for more than a year. And once we chose our days, we had to keep them for the entire year. I had Tuesdays and Thursdays for the first year I was there. After that I got to switch to Tuesdays and Wednesdays so I finally had a "weekend." I didn't stay long enough to ever earn a Saturday or Sunday as part of my weekend.

Most of the jobs I have had required an employee to work an entire year before a vacation day was "accrued." I have also had jobs where employees weren't allowed to take vacation as individual days — one week at a time only.

Before you quit over this you might want to take into account where else you could work and get the kind of consideration you're now enjoying.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
That. ^^^

Just out of curiosity, are these paid vacation days you are spreading out all year? Or do you just work when you feel like it? And how many days in advance do you have to announce your three-day weekends?

I think it would be somewhat disruptive to have employees taking off individual days any time the mood struck them, even if they had a back-up.

I once had a 40-hr-per-week job where the business was open seven days a week. Since all days had to be covered, a seniority system governed what days of the week people could take off. We couldn't even have two days off in a row until we had been on the job for more than a year. And once we chose our days, we had to keep them for the entire year. I had Tuesdays and Thursdays for the first year I was there. After that I got to switch to Tuesdays and Wednesdays so I finally had a "weekend." I didn't stay long enough to ever earn a Saturday or Sunday as part of my weekend.

Most of the jobs I have had required an employee to work an entire year before a vacation day was "accrued." I have also had jobs where employees weren't allowed to take vacation as individual days — one week at a time only.

Before you quit over this you might want to take into account where else you could work and get the kind of consideration you're now enjoying.
I always request a day 2 to 3 weeks ahead of time. I requested 9/26 in the beginning of September and 10/3 the 2nd week of september.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:35 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I actually work harder so everything can be tight if I know I have a 3 day weekend coming. I wanna assume that's what everyone would do if they know they will be off to avoid any issues when they come back.
So you are not willing to experience first hand as a business owner/manager the effects of someone taking numerous work days off, typical.
Your choice but why is it that you only work hard right before taking time off?
Why not work just as hard every day that you get paid to work?

PS ~~In the real world you can make many plans but that is no guarantee there will not be issues when you return.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you are not willing to experience first hand as a business owner/manager the effects of someone taking numerous work days off, typical.
Your choice but why is it that you only work hard right before taking time off?
Why not work just as hard every day that you get paid to work?

PS ~~In the real world you can make many plans but that is no guarantee there will not be issues when you return.
I said harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment