Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 09:36 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times

Advertisements

I recently started a position recruiting Journeymen Linemen.
Until doing research for my new position...I never fully realized the extent of the hard work and sacrifices these guys (as well as their families) make.

They work endless hours, often in horrific weather conditions.

They're required to travel the country to assist areas hit by all that Mother Nature brings on.

I was completely ignorant to all that these hard working guys go through, as well as the dangers involved in their work.

Next time you're tucked inside your safe little home and the power goes out, be thankful for these guys.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 02:32 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
My nephew is a lineman. He returned from Florida a few days ago. Him and his crew slept in their trucks because there were no hotel vacancies in their vicinity. Doing dangerous work on very little rest.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:00 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
They are generally compensated quite well for their time and effort.. So, don't feel TOO sorry for them.

I considered that profession at the start of my career. I kinda decided that I wasn't as attentive as I might need to be to do the job. And continue living. I also have a problem with heights.. not HIGH heights.. but the heights that won't kill you if you fall. The ones that just really, really, really hurt you bad.

I'm curious about your recruitment.. How are they doing bringing new people in? Back in the early 90's when I was looking at it, they were really making a push because they were having a difficult time bringing in 'new blood'.. Alot of the linemen were retiring and they didn't have enough young folks coming in to replace them.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:45 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
They are generally compensated quite well for their time and effort.. So, don't feel TOO sorry for them.

I considered that profession at the start of my career. I kinda decided that I wasn't as attentive as I might need to be to do the job. And continue living. I also have a problem with heights.. not HIGH heights.. but the heights that won't kill you if you fall. The ones that just really, really, really hurt you bad.
We're not feeling sorry for them. We're appreciating them.

For storm recovery jobs, my nephew is paid time and a half when he's working. That doesn't include travel and "stand-by" time. So he actually lost two days of work while making the round trip from VA to FL. He also receives a per diem stipend but from what I recall it isn't much and it covers hotel and food.

He's making some extra money but he's not getting rich from it.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Depending on where in the country you are, they make $40 to $50/hour, before overtime (Tennessee and California examples) which is definitely not going to make them rich, and considering the risk they take I could understand a future shortage.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:47 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'm curious about your recruitment.. How are they doing bringing new people in? Back in the early 90's when I was looking at it, they were really making a push because they were having a difficult time bringing in 'new blood'.. Alot of the linemen were retiring and they didn't have enough young folks coming in to replace them.

This is spot on.. from what I've learned so far, many of the jobs that require candidates to complete an apprenticeship or learn a trade at a tech school are experiencing a shortage of people because for the last 20-30 years, high school kids were taught you had to go to college.. there was no (or not much) encouragement to go to tech school and learn a trade.

The shortage of these folks in the various trades affects us all, even though we may not realize it.

From what I understand, and depending on who you work for, journeymen lineman, with all the overtime available, make well into (6) figures. And it's money well earned.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:37 AM

120 posts, read 110,223 times
lineman are amazing, I hope you find some promising candidates.

My first job out of college was a substation engineer. I learnt way more from riding around with the linemen than I did from most of the engineers.

Though there was engineer who was a lineman for 12 years, had a baby and left the workforce for awhile went then went back to school to get a B.S in engineering - she's my hero. Sometimes I wish I would have taken up a trade for a few years before going to college but that was not an option with my parents.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:48 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
I spent Christmas day with 3 linemen when the main underground line to a large transformer blew ,that shut down the towns wastewater treatment plant. Some really good guys! My dear wife hosted Christmas dinner with family, and brought plates for everyone working who were missing theirs.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:54 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
This is spot on.. from what I've learned so far, many of the jobs that require candidates to complete an apprenticeship or learn a trade at a tech school are experiencing a shortage of people because for the last 20-30 years, high school kids were taught you had to go to college.. there was no (or not much) encouragement to go to tech school and learn a trade.

The shortage of these folks in the various trades affects us all, even though we may not realize it.

From what I understand, and depending on who you work for, journeymen lineman, with all the overtime available, make well into (6) figures. And it's money well earned.
As I recall from the pitch back in the day.. The schoolwork the company would pay for and pay you for. So, the classroom education you actually still made money for. There were bonuses for signing on, but they weren't big money like pilots might get. Couple thousand dollars back then, which, yeah, was good 'free money', but not the $20-$30k sign on bonus a pilot might get. You had to commit to the company for a few years to basically 'pay back' your training.

And, the job was basically recession-proof. No matter what anyone says, keeping the lights on is pretty much always priority #1 or 2 (Right behind food). I remember them saying that the co-op I was talking to had never laid off a lineman. Fired, yes.. Laid off, no.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:47 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Where I was from, you either had to go to vo-tech school for a lineman or already be experienced.

Most ads stated..........." if you don't meet one of those two, please don't bother applying "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment