Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:28 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,643 times

Advertisements

It's those stupid tests!!! Before they came along, people could just walk in and get a job. Now that there is so many that make you take a test, the rare few who has paper applications are overabundant with people who are tired of the tests so you get even more competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
With the amount of applications coming in the door, why does a manager need to settle on you? He/She has a high likely hood that someone better will apply.

Also, you never defined what being "picky" is? What is "picky" to you, might be a glaring deficiency to them. Example: criminal record, lack of communication skills, lack of work experience, personality, etc...

They are more likely to hire someone with a criminal record. It is in the application that they get a tax break for doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It doesn't matter how hard or easy the job is, whether minimum wage or not, as long as there is more than one applicant the employer will select what they consider the best person for the job. If they don't like any of the candidates they will continue looking. Sure, that may seem like they are being picky, but as managers they are obligated to be picky. That's what they are paid for.
Why are they allowed to be picky especially when they could be breaking the law in some cases but I am forced to take on more schooling or volunteering if I don't find anything? I never chose to need benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
If you want a job that needs people go and sign up at your local truck driving school and get your cdl. No reason at all to be working at micky d's.
I don't know about the OP but I've been afraid to learn to drive a regular car let alone a truck so not an option for me. Plus I can't even pass the permit test for the regular license anymore nor do I really have the money to get another one.

Last edited by Nickchick; 10-20-2016 at 07:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 08:32 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,404,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Supply and demand. There are way too many people wanting way too few jobs. Of course the employer can be picky. Let's not forget that prior to the recession, it was the opposite way. Employees ruled and were able to pick and choose who they worked for. Some would reject a job offer because the company didn't provide free cappuccinos or wouldn't give an employee paid personal Facebook updating time. Now, the shoe is on the other foot. I have the job and if you want it, you go through my gauntlet. If an employer wants a masters just for you to say "would you like to super size that order?" good for them.
Neither side should have the power.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:55 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,992 times
Pre 2008 you used to be able to walk into a low wage place like a resturant and get an interview/hire on the spot. Now they want you to go online and jump through a bunch of hoop. Times have changed in the workforce.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Quote:
Pre 2008 you used to be able to walk into a low wage place like a resturant and get an interview/hire on the spot. Now they want you to go online and jump through a bunch of hoop. Times have changed in the workforce.
It depends on the part of the country you are in, as to being able to go in a restaurant and get a job on the spot or if they have 500 on line applications.

Here in our town, our housekeepers 16 year old son walked into McDonald's and asked if they were taking applications. They called the manager, who came out of his office and showed the young man around and what the duties were. He asked him if he could do that type of work. He said yes. He was handed an application to fill it out and turn it back in. He did and was told to wait for a few minutes for the manager to get free. He did. The manager looked over his application and asked him if he could be ready to be trained on Friday. He could, was issued uniforms, and the was hired on the spot. He started at what they start high school kids at, which is $10 to go to $12 when they are trained and producing the level of work they are expected to do which averages 30 days. Adults, start at $14 an hour. The employees say they are a great place to work, and are good to employees. They have a hard time, keeping enough employees to staff the restaurant. It is one of the busiest in the state. Employees often leave, because they find there higher paid jobs waiting for them.

There are parts of the country that if there is one low pay job advertised, they will have 500 online applicants. Here there is almost a shortage of workers even in a small community and few applicants.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:05 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,114,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
It depends on the part of the country you are in, as to being able to go in a restaurant and get a job on the spot or if they have 500 on line applications.

Here in our town, our housekeepers 16 year old son walked into McDonald's and asked if they were taking applications. They called the manager, who came out of his office and showed the young man around and what the duties were. He asked him if he could do that type of work. He said yes. He was handed an application to fill it out and turn it back in. He did and was told to wait for a few minutes for the manager to get free. He did. The manager looked over his application and asked him if he could be ready to be trained on Friday. He could, was issued uniforms, and the was hired on the spot. He started at what they start high school kids at, which is $10 to go to $12 when they are trained and producing the level of work they are expected to do which averages 30 days. Adults, start at $14 an hour. The employees say they are a great place to work, and are good to employees. They have a hard time, keeping enough employees to staff the restaurant. It is one of the busiest in the state. Employees often leave, because they find there higher paid jobs waiting for them.

There are parts of the country that if there is one low pay job advertised, they will have 500 online applicants. Here there is almost a shortage of workers even in a small community and few applicants.
What town/city was this in? Sounds like a great place for opportunity if mcdonalds starts at 14/hr and interviews on the spot.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:10 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times
I have noticed a lot of service jobs like fast food paying above-market wages now. Now that the economy improves and people find better jobs the fast food restaurants have to pay higher wages to get someone to show up.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:48 AM

119 posts, read 95,449 times
$14 at mcdonalds? I think they pay $8.10-$10 an hour where i live. hard to find any jobs around here that pay above 12 or 13 an hour. you know you've hit the jackpot when you get paid even $12 an hour in ohio.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:57 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
Seems like managers are being "picky"even for the fast food restuarants these managers act like its a "coporate" job.

With all due respect, have you asked anyone to give you constructive criticism on your interviewing skills?

Your post kind of comes off like you feel entitled to a job and if you present yourself that way, you'll have problems.
I believe pretty much every city offers help as far as teaching interview skills at local unemployment offices (even if you're not collecting unemployment.)

Old 10-21-2016, 08:08 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I, for one, am tired of hearing about how there are no jobs. This is pure crap. If you can't find a job, you're either not looking or your resume sucks. I know a lot of people. Everyone is employed. Very few underemployed. Even the young people in my life have jobs. No, I'm not some rich well to do attorney living the high life. But THERE ARE JOBS out there.

Recently my job was looking to hire a new accountant. (Currently 363 jobs opening for accountants in the Cleveland area on Indeed.com... no jobs?). I posted the ad on Indeed and LinkedIn so I would do the first screening. We got over 70 resumes. Just take a wild guess out of that 70 how many had the qualifications that we specifically mentioned in the ad?
4. I kid you not. 4. We got a waitress who listed under skills "I am really good with this one regular that comes in every day", we got a door greeter at Wal-Mart, we got a woman whose objective read "I want to get a job in Veterinary Medicine".
People with awful resumes who were obviously just spamming every ad on the site not even bothering to take 5 minutes to change an objective to give us a reason to want to call you. And I will just bet, all those people that wasted my time and couldn't be bothered to properly take 5 minutes to punch up the resume for the specific job they were applying for are probably sitting in the basement mumbling to their Trump loving buddies "Man, there's just no jobs out there!".

Search Indeed.com, Cleveland "IT" 5,795
Search Indeed.com, Cleveland "Administrative Assistant" 617
Search Indeed.com, Cleveland "Facilities Manager" 1,213
Search Indeed.com, Cleveland "Machine Shop" 250
Search Indeed.com, Cleveland "Sales" 6,716
Search Indeed.com, Cleveland "Nurse" 2,359
Search Indeed.com, Cleveland "Secretary" 528

So you can't get a job at McDonlads? Let's see your resume. Show us what you wore to the interview. Give me an example of how you answered the questions asked of you. How much were you asking for?

I promise you, I could land a job at any fast food job, without even mentioning my experience in the past.

/rant off

Old 10-21-2016, 08:13 AM

973 posts, read 914,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
...$10 to go to $12 when they are trained and producing the level of work they are expected to do which averages 30 days. Adults, start at $14 an hour.
$14/h!? I'll work there for some side money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment