Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:18 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
It appears they are ostracized from not only from the workplace but society in general?
I don't feel that way--ostracized. Most people I know would love to be me--would love to feel comfortable to travel alone, go where ever I want without waiting on someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 05:38 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
Quote:

I swear people would rather be screwed over by corporate sociopaths than avoided or not acknowledged by the introvet/loner
Because many extroverts thrive on attention, and if someone's not giving it to them, they are going to fall apart.

Personally, as an introvert, I don't feel the need to be validated by everyone, so it doesn't bother me if someone is busy with something else and doesn't give me attention. I don't crave attention anyway.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
No, you keep interpreting someone having social skills as being a social butterfly...

you can perfectly deal with people in the work place even being an introvert if you learned basic social skills

introverts can be well adapted to actually socializing with people. Stop using that as an excuse to not interact with people. It is a poor excuse for having no social skills

stop acting like "soft skills" are worthless, those skills are what holds society/culture together. Without soft skills, no one would be able to form bonds, and there would be no cities or any group of people larger than 2 people

even pack animals know how to be social with each other, it isn't all that hard to learn. Hell, even the goldfish is a social animal
Bet you don't find many "loner" goldfish in the wild, they get eaten. Guess what that means to your "loner" employee, they get eaten up as well
You seem to believe introverts don't have social skills. Many do. Many extroverted people have very poor social skills - things like interrupting constantly, demanding attention, getting up in peoples' faces, blurting out inappropriate comments, etc.

If I were hiring for a job where it was important what you say to a client, I'd hire a more introverted person, because they tend to think before they speak. Extroverts just blurt things out without thinking first.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:44 PM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Color me an introvert, too.
But I was also a very successful salesman and had a successful career. I just enjoy being a loner and not following the crowd.

FWIW: I am an INTJ. I love being that way. Doesn't mean I "don't like people"; it means I recuperate alone.
And like most INTJ's I think extroverts are babbling idiots.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Nothing is wrong with being social butterflies. But they aren't the ones ostracized from the workplace or society. For instance, Sociopaths aren't ostracized and outcasted from the workplace and society. In fact, they FLOURISH and run companies or even America). Its the introvert or loner (the ones who don't s*** people over for their own benefit) but don't interact on an intimate level professionally or personally with others. For instance, one of the first thing the hiring manger looks at in interviews (Before whether the person is even qualified or not to do the job) is what kinds of "soft skills" the interviewee has. Or if they are a "good fit"."
Oh, yes, introverts are excluded from the workplace entirely, in fact that is the entire purpose of pre-employment personality tests. And it's pretty obvious when the tests ask questions like "would you rather go to a party or sit home and read a book?" And employers are actually dumb enough to believe that people can't tell these test questions are for weeding out introverts.

Introverts can't even get hired in jobs that require little or no interaction with people.

It's kind of ironic because an employer had good social skills, he'd be able to assess whether or not someone else did during an interview. But instead he needs to use a test with weird questions on it.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:00 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
I am introvert more so sales gives me the chance to get paid and socialize but gawd no do I want have a brew with those toxic ppl after work F that.

I just make something up and say sure next time then they stop asking.

Who wants to hang with toxic employees after work yuk!

Old 10-22-2016, 06:07 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That's not what being an introvert is. At all. Introverts like quiet alone time. They aren't bitter. Your perception is exactly the issue the OP is talking about.
All the OP does on here is rant about evil employers and how he's unfairly treated and not given a fair shake. If there is any ostracism, I think it's due much more to his bitter attitude, resentment, and negativity and not because of any real social stigma.

I'm an introvert and a loner at heart but I don't shy away from social interactions nor treat it as something distasteful. I was laid off a few months ago and just now had two competing offers for my services so I think I know a thing or two.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:12 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Color me an introvert, too.
But I was also a very successful salesman and had a successful career. I just enjoy being a loner and not following the crowd.

FWIW: I am an INTJ. I love being that way. Doesn't mean I "don't like people"; it means I recuperate alone.
And like most INTJ's I think extroverts are babbling idiots.
Also INTJ. And I agree with you, most extroverts need to shut up and think before they speak.

Which just goes to show that the OP is simply wrong, the world isn't biased against introverts. The world is biased against people with poor social skills. Human beings are social animals. We cluster by families, by age, by sports team, by neighborhood, by city,by religion, by culture... We seemingly can't stop forming groups. It is in our nature as a species. That is the OP's real problem, he doesn't want to participate in groups.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:25 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Also INTJ. And I agree with you, most extroverts need to shut up and think before they speak.

Which just goes to show that the OP is simply wrong, the world isn't biased against introverts. The world is biased against people with poor social skills. Human beings are social animals. We cluster by families, by age, by sports team, by neighborhood, by city,by religion, by culture... We seemingly can't stop forming groups. It is in our nature as a species. That is the OP's real problem, he doesn't want to participate in groups.

Why does one HAVE to participate in Groups exactly?

Old 10-22-2016, 06:26 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Go into the IT field or engineering, the majority of the workforce is more introverted which is great. A lot less workplace drama, more flexible work schedules (remote work), etc. The US, on the whole, is indeed better for extroverts. Many European countries tend to have more prevailing introverted personality types by comparison.
GS. Very true. I guess that is why most of my best friends are either Engineer's of some type or possess job skills that easily could transfer into those fields. I grew up in a Swedish household and yes, Europeans in many countries typically are a little more introverted than most American's.

The Jerry Springer TV show guest mentality that pervades the work place these days is foul. It not only leads to bad moral but also a combative work place. Egotistical jerks are responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment