U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2016, 04:35 PM

3,922 posts, read 2,295,403 times

Advertisements

It appears they are ostracized from not only from the workplace but society in general? Why are they ostracized? These days it seems its worse being an introvert and loner than a sociopathic nut job who commits crimes in the private or public sector.

It completely amazes me how there is more resentment towards people who don't want to be socialites today and engage in interation with everyone and mind their own business (live and let live mentality) than there is politicians and corporate folk who commit CRIMES, backstab, and do all the subversive crap behind people's back to work their way up their chain.

I swear people would rather be screwed over by corporate sociopaths than avoided or not acknowledged by the introvet/loner

Last edited by DorianRo; 10-22-2016 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: word fix
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 04:57 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,040,852 times
What's wrong with being sociable? You realize that has nothing to do with being an introvert or not? Social skills are not dependent on personality types

Commerce is conducted with 2 or more people, of course they expect people to have social skills when doing business. You can have your live and let live attitude when it is your own money on the line...

Old 10-22-2016, 05:02 PM

1,104 posts, read 664,161 times
As someone isolated due to geography, misfortune and choice, I do respect and reflect on the hard surprise and gray confusion to others when my circumstances are revealed. The further I climb in work, the more impossible people can think that someone could want or need to be on their own.

Most people do not understand being alone. This is because many people are sheltered and supported by other means. They are oblivious of hardship and very naive. Or they have a foundation of family. Their roots are strong, and they believe only in their roots, not the branches that they branch out. They have no trauma in their lives so there's no need for them to pursue any greater goal than whatever something someone told them to do.

I'm no believer, but help yourself, and render unto Caesar what is Caesar's. That means, just smile and play the game. It's better than being antagonistic. People won't tolerate a slob. Or people who hold up that card that life is all controlled by politicians and it isn't fair... no one cares.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:04 PM

3,922 posts, read 2,295,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
What's wrong with being sociable? You realize that has nothing to do with being an introvert or not? Social skills are not dependent on personality types

Commerce is conducted with 2 or more people, of course they expect people to have social skills when doing business. You can have your live and let live attitude when it is your own money on the line...
Nothing is wrong with being social butterflies. But they aren't the ones ostracized from the workplace or society. For instance, Sociopaths aren't ostracized and outcasted from the workplace and society. In fact, they FLOURISH and run companies or even America). Its the introvert or loner (the ones who don't s*** people over for their own benefit) but don't interact on an intimate level professionally or personally with others. For instance, one of the first thing the hiring manger looks at in interviews (Before whether the person is even qualified or not to do the job) is what kinds of "soft skills" the interviewee has. Or if they are a "good fit"."

Like I said, its less reprehensible being a corporate or political CRIMINAL than it is being a loner who stick to themselves in this society

Old 10-22-2016, 05:13 PM

15,659 posts, read 7,724,720 times
Because purposely not talking to people and being bitter isn't a likable trait.

The resentment is on you.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:17 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,040,852 times
No, you keep interpreting someone having social skills as being a social butterfly...

you can perfectly deal with people in the work place even being an introvert if you learned basic social skills

introverts can be well adapted to actually socializing with people. Stop using that as an excuse to not interact with people. It is a poor excuse for having no social skills

stop acting like "soft skills" are worthless, those skills are what holds society/culture together. Without soft skills, no one would be able to form bonds, and there would be no cities or any group of people larger than 2 people

even pack animals know how to be social with each other, it isn't all that hard to learn. Hell, even the goldfish is a social animal
Quote:
Common goldfish are social animals who prefer living in groups. They are able to interact with any fish belonging to the same species.
Bet you don't find many "loner" goldfish in the wild, they get eaten. Guess what that means to your "loner" employee, they get eaten up as well

Old 10-22-2016, 05:31 PM

24,841 posts, read 30,805,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Because purposely not talking to people and being bitter isn't a likable trait.

The resentment is on you.
That's not what being an introvert is. At all. Introverts like quiet alone time. They aren't bitter. Your perception is exactly the issue the OP is talking about.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:40 PM

15,659 posts, read 7,724,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
That's not what being an introvert is. At all. Introverts like quiet alone time. They aren't bitter. Your perception is exactly the issue the OP is talking about.
What perception should I have after reading the OP rant? This goes way deeper than someone that likes alone quiet time.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:48 PM

21,207 posts, read 36,824,530 times
Go into the IT field or engineering, the majority of the workforce is more introverted which is great. A lot less workplace drama, more flexible work schedules (remote work), etc. The US, on the whole, is indeed better for extroverts. Many European countries tend to have more prevailing introverted personality types by comparison.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:01 PM

9,788 posts, read 8,974,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The OP is bitter, although not all introverts are. The OP either has no social coping skills, or is so extremely introverted as to be crippled.

I am an introvert. I have consistently tested as such on any personality test taken. I am also relatively successful in the work world because I have social skills. I can talk with people, I understand their motives, and I can socialize with them as well. I find it somewhat draining. Then I go home and spend time by myself recharging.

If you choose not to socialize with people, that is your choice, but don't expect them to become your friend and help you when you need it. Your self imposed ostracism does have consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or