Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 11:05 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times

Advertisements

CoCo6163 is spot on with respect to compensation.

A funny book about hotels is Heads In Beds. It is written from the POV of the front desk but does touch the issues for housekeepers at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 10:21 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Was it 1099 contract work? If so, they can pay anything they like even though that is definitely exploitation of workers.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:28 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Was it 1099 contract work? If so, they can pay anything they like even though that is definitely exploitation of workers.
Good point !

Using the "independent contractor" label to circumvent labor laws is a widely used tactic.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:30 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,187 times
Place I delivered flowers for did that. All contract drivers, paid 4 dollars per order.
Owner made a whole bunch of money from multiple florists and paid out a 1/4 of the order fee, no benefits. Drivers used their own vehicles.
Dude bought a house and paid cash for it. He was making money hand over fist!
And I no longer work there but it was a lot of fun at the time!

Old 10-31-2016, 01:35 PM

553 posts, read 1,208,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Good point !

Using the "independent contractor" label to circumvent labor laws is a widely used tactic.
Misclassifying an "employee" as an "independent contractor" is also one of the most common reasons employers are held to have violated wage and hour laws. Simply issuing a 1099 does not make a worker an independent contractor. The difference between employee and independent contractor depends on the work actually performed and the manner in which it is performed. If an employer is wrongly issuing a 1099 instead of a W-2, the employer is not only potentially violating wage and hour laws (if the pay is below minimum wage or without required overtime compensation) but also almost certainly violating tax law that requires deductions from and contributions on behalf of the employee.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:25 AM

12,957 posts, read 13,671,429 times
This is why I used to carry disinfectant (hospital grade) in my luggage. I would stay in some rooms for $100.00 and some rooms for $45.00 and they all smelled bad. I'm guessing the ISSA cleaning time standards for hotel rooms varies based on what your tasks are for that room. That's why places are so dirty these days, hospitals ,schools, hotels and any place that pays based on contract labor. You have to beat the time standard or get fired. I would tip off the health department if I thought an employer was ignoring how clean the property actually was. In a given year where I stayed in 200 motels maybe ten were clean.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:49 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
How long does it take to clean a room? Usually they go through an entire floor in a few hours I think (sometimes multiple people, but still). But the job probably sucks. I don't make much of a mess in my room, but I once checked into a hotel where they put me in a room that hadn't been cleaned yet not once, but twice, before switching me to a room that had actually been cleaned. The first two rooms I saw had open bottles of alcohol, the TV on, the bed sheets all over the place, the remote on the floor, the bathroom was a mess, the whole place was a disaster. I couldn't really believe how badly some (most?) people trash hotel rooms.

Quote:
The things sometimes left behind by some guests would shock you if you knew. Many cases of poop, yes I said poop being left behind in places other then then the toilet.
I stayed in a place that cost me over $100 once where the toilet didn't even work. When I went down to complain, they didn't even care to fix it. They told me to go to the laundry room and use the toilet there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment