Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:03 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,250 times

Advertisements

Exactly. I'm really sick of this whole societal thing about college, like pretty much as soon as you meet someone, the next thing to ask is where you went to school, and what was your major. Case in point: I was working at the fair this year, and another guy that worked there started talking to me, and shortly after that, asked if I ever thought about going to school...I told him I did, and he did also...he thought I was a lot younger. He was 10 years older, graduated, and was working there just like me. Then, an older guy was talking to me, and same thing...asked what I studied, said philosophy, and he was like, "oh, so that's why you're here." it was probably more that I didn't graduate, but still...then he was like, yeah, my son went to school for this, and now he's a chef. which is exactly my point. going to college, or what you majored in, usually has little to do with what job you end up in. so who cares. I'm just sick of the over-emphasis on college, and "ooh, what was your major?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 11:47 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,037 times
What is it you want to do in life (as a career)? If one chooses to take philosophy, while that may be interesting to you, it may also somewhat limit your choices after school is done (as I am sure you are smart enough to realize) UNLESS you yourself are creative and a real go-getter .. in which case you may be able to break down some barriers and figure out a way you can actually USE that degree in a workplace that hasn't heretofore had any identified need for a 'philosopher in house'.

I hate to say it but there really isn't much call for philosophy majors with no other skills or anything more than a bachelor's degree in that subject. That part is probably true - and I am sure you already know that.

When you get your foot in the door somewhere though, then it is no longer about what degree you got, it is about how you perform on the job .. so take heart there. And in 20 years for sure it will not matter any more that that is what you took at college because your resume will include a lot of actual 'experience' in some field or another I hope.

I agree though that it may be tiresome to answer when someone probes for your major but since it is (in your mind anyway), you need to come up with either a witty answer or one which shows that taking philosophy as a major was a) right for you b) has potential to do more for you than just be 'fun and interesting' - or whatever your reason was for taking it.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:12 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,250 times
Umm...that was precisely my point. It's really no one else's business what I studied, or why. If people think they have the right to ask complete strangers random/personal questions, and then give their opinion on that person's choices...then they deserve a rude answer. My other point, which you also missed, was that the same people that seemed to think it so important whether I went to school, and what I studied...were essentially in the same position. their majors were not related to what they were doing at the time, either.

Thank you for your "insight", but as an, um PHILOSOPHER, I do believe we've, pardon my pun here...uh, THOUGHT about that.

Thanks again, dear, but I do have plenty of experience, and skills. And, as I should have told that old man, I do not need, nor did I ask for, your input. This isn't a job interview, so your opinion is irrelevent; kindly keep it to yourself.

No, I do not NEED to come up with an answer to justify my choice of what to STUDY, to a complete stranger, who has no bearing on my life. I'm sorry, but I'm really getting sick of people like you, who feel the need to comment on people's lives, and say whatever pops into their head, to a complete stranger. I imagine you're older, as for some reason so many of the old people I come across seem to be curmudgeonly, and always think they need to "lecture" young people...and perhaps because people apparently always think I look so much younger. But I really do not need your "opinion" or pseudo-"advice."

Old 10-29-2016, 03:11 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Where I'm at, the percentage is low so not good to assume.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:30 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Why would you assume everyone needs a degree? Some of the smartest and most successful people I know skipped college and started their own businesses.
I try not to, but some people have told me (usually older) they didn't have one and it shocked me because I thought they did. Some people have told me they have a BA and they were stupid, but younger than 45.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:42 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
Umm...that was precisely my point. It's really no one else's business what I studied, or why. If people think they have the right to ask complete strangers random/personal questions, and then give their opinion on that person's choices...then they deserve a rude answer. My other point, which you also missed, was that the same people that seemed to think it so important whether I went to school, and what I studied...were essentially in the same position. their majors were not related to what they were doing at the time, either.

Thank you for your "insight", but as an, um PHILOSOPHER, I do believe we've, pardon my pun here...uh, THOUGHT about that.

Thanks again, dear, but I do have plenty of experience, and skills. And, as I should have told that old man, I do not need, nor did I ask for, your input. This isn't a job interview, so your opinion is irrelevent; kindly keep it to yourself.

No, I do not NEED to come up with an answer to justify my choice of what to STUDY, to a complete stranger, who has no bearing on my life. I'm sorry, but I'm really getting sick of people like you, who feel the need to comment on people's lives, and say whatever pops into their head, to a complete stranger. I imagine you're older, as for some reason so many of the old people I come across seem to be curmudgeonly, and always think they need to "lecture" young people...and perhaps because people apparently always think I look so much younger. But I really do not need your "opinion" or pseudo-"advice."
How do you know he/she isn't a philosopher? You don't need a degree to have philosophies.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:21 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
Aren't you judgmental. Start paying attention to people for themselves not by what they have or don't have.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times
I don't assume degree or not. I mean, I assume my doctors and dentists have degrees, but I could care less about other people's educational attainment.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:13 AM

924 posts, read 751,657 times
I'm in my late 30s, so I would imagine people might assume I have a degree.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:26 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Another thread got me thinking of the people I've worked with who were elderly and either had no college, little college, or college that was outdated or in a different field. What's the oldest age you assume someone has college? For me, I'd assume 40. Because they'd have gone to college in the 90s and I know that was around the time college was becoming more the thing people do than the thing most didn't do. Not to say I think someone who is 45 doesn't have college. I'd be more puzzled by a 40 year old not having it.
I don't assume anyone has a degree, especially if their job doesn't require one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment