Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 06:37 PM

31 posts, read 68,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I don't think job hopping is the problem. From what I understand, most recruiters think there is something wrong with people who have been at a job for more then 2 years now i.e. they are not desirable to anyone else.
I think some of this depends on the field and your previous employer. I had much more than 2 years experience but my previous employer was a major player in my industry and I gained invaluable experience during that tenure. When recruiters see my resume they go "gaga" over it. About 90% have made a comment about how rare that is and how their clients will love that.

Of course, I'm not sure too many recruiters are in the business of beating up their meal tickets either.

But you can get stagnant in the market, miss out on growth opportunities, etc. That's not always the case, it just depends.

That's the beauty of the employment world...what is one person's strength is another's weakness, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 07:28 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,502,229 times
notice how he isn't "job hopping" back to the first $17/hr contract job?

he isn't out of options, he just doesn't want to take those options.

He probably hit the top end of the salary cap for his skill set, meaning he's priced himself out of the market without gaining more skills or finding someone to play ball with him

Old 10-31-2016, 07:38 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,555,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
He probably hit the top end of the salary cap for his skill set ....
That's called "winning".

Old 10-31-2016, 08:57 PM

84 posts, read 146,208 times
OP, what is your line of work? May be able to help us better help you? Sales, engineering, marketing?

Old 10-31-2016, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 3,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Have you considered that you may have hopped past your skill set and reasonable salary for someone with your skill set?
I've never agreed with the idea that someone's "skill set" is objectively "worth" a certain amount. It seems like a Communist idea.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:00 PM

4 posts, read 3,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livedeverywhere123 View Post
OP, what is your line of work? May be able to help us better help you? Sales, engineering, marketing?
Software development

Old 10-31-2016, 10:50 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,230,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacedWithKerosene View Post
Software development
That's a creative activity. Employers generally find creative people disgusting. They tolerate them because they need them. But they're always looking for reasons to get rid of them.

The main problem with creative people is that their productivity can hardly be measured, much less predicted. Entrepreneurs and executives thrive on predicting and measuring. Putting them together with creative people is like grinding the gears of a vehicle with a manual transmission.

The reason it's hard to measure the productivity of creative people is that the work that goes into it is largely invisible. As a general rule, the busier a creative person looks, the less creative that person is being, because people look busy when they're doing rote work or work that's cut out for them. Creative work involves more seeming idleness, thinking about problems, etc. You can't measure that because you can't know what the person is thinking. So you can't actually tell how much work something is going to be, if it's really creative activity.

The best way for a software developer to advance is to become an entrepreneur and focus on a cohesive set of applications that share code and effort. When you're an entrepreneur, the market is your boss, and you're never unemployed, even if your boss is mean and sometimes doesn't pay you.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:25 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,418,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacedWithKerosene View Post
Long-story-short, in less than 2 years I did the following job hops

$17/hr contract -> $20/hr contract -> $60k/yr salaried -> $82k/yr salaried

and had no plans to leave my current job until I realized it was unstable (company went public, started reorganizing, downsizing, my division is in the crosshairs).

I started applying for other jobs, but am getting no responses, I'm sure because they see that I've job-hopped too much. It kinda sucks because I feel like success in the modern economy requires lots of job hopping to reach the top of the ladder if you're not able to start out on the top of it.
I don't think that job-hopping is as much of a problem as you think it is. You might not be able to top $82K a year just yet and maybe that's what you're running up against. And don't forget that once you get up to that level, jobs are a lot harder to come by and land. Keep going. Don't worry!

Old 11-01-2016, 06:46 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,502,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
That's called "winning".
it's called stagnation... If he wants to stop there, fine, but he didn't "win" anything. He has the option to gain more skills and thus earn more money, or stay put.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:21 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,555,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it's called stagnation... If he wants to stop there, fine, but he didn't "win" anything. He has the option to gain more skills and thus earn more money, or stay put.
He's been working two years. Stagnation seems a bit premature to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment