Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,791 times

Advertisements

Long-story-short, in less than 2 years I did the following job hops

$17/hr contract -> $20/hr contract -> $60k/yr salaried -> $82k/yr salaried

and had no plans to leave my current job until I realized it was unstable (company went public, started reorganizing, downsizing, my division is in the crosshairs).

I started applying for other jobs, but am getting no responses, I'm sure because they see that I've job-hopped too much. It kinda sucks because I feel like success in the modern economy requires lots of job hopping to reach the top of the ladder if you're not able to start out on the top of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 01:51 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,513,748 times
Oh, society. How I love it.

Old 10-29-2016, 05:49 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacedWithKerosene View Post
Long-story-short, in less than 2 years I did the following job hops

$17/hr contract -> $20/hr contract -> $60k/yr salaried -> $82k/yr salaried

and had no plans to leave my current job until I realized it was unstable (company went public, started reorganizing, downsizing, my division is in the crosshairs).

I started applying for other jobs, but am getting no responses, I'm sure because they see that I've job-hopped too much. It kinda sucks because I feel like success in the modern economy requires lots of job hopping to reach the top of the ladder if you're not able to start out on the top of it.
Do you indicate that the first two are contracts on your resume? If they were defined term assigmnets many people will not hold those two against you because you would have had no choice to leave those.
Otherwise yea that is alot of job hopping. I would keep at it.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:55 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,076 times
I would just lie and say you followed a boss from job to job. You planned to stay at the last job, but it's going under. No one is going to call four jobs and ask if your boss worked there. Legally, they can't ask about someone they're not interviewing.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:32 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
4 spots in 2 years will have most employers place your resume in the circular file. I'd stay at your current job as long as they will let you.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:53 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
I don't think your problem is job hopping. You've more than doubled your income in two years. Congratulations. But, the higher up the pay scale you go, the fewer openings there are and the more people want them. This is true regardless of how long you've been at your past jobs.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:15 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
4 spots in 2 years will have most employers place your resume in the circular file. I'd stay at your current job as long as they will let you.
He's also showed progression. If he stayed stagnant at the low wage position, that wouldn't show initiative or potential. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:52 PM

34,001 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
He's also showed progression. If he stayed stagnant at the low wage position, that wouldn't show initiative or potential. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

He messed up. What may have helped for 2 years will cost him now far, far longer.

He should stay at this job as long as he can.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:15 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Just have to present it as valuable experience building in your profession. Sit there and let the doubts build in the interview will only make it all a waste of time. Some employers will actually see the sense to it and let it go. If for instance an interviewer keeps circling around it , then time to count down the minutes until the interview is over. At that point, they are trying to figure out why on earth are they wasting their time with you and reaffirming to themselves they are a company who would prefer a more stable work resume.

Never never fight back and argue as it will only draw from your own energy. Be cool and never get rattled no matter what is thrown at you.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:02 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
He messed up. What may have helped for 2 years will cost him now far, far longer.
I don't think that's right. Even when switching jobs, it's hard to get them to pay you more than you were paid before. Having one $80,000 job on your resume, even if briefly, can be a bigger help than having worked two years at $17/hour.

That said, I think once you get up to a higher level, then the job hoping could hurt you. If you're getting paid well over average local wages on a job with benefits, you have to be careful.

Last edited by Moby Hick; 10-30-2016 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: added second paragraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment