Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 06:20 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times

Advertisements

At the end of the day, your employees need to know that you will go to bat for them and have their best interests in mind and that you will sometimes have to balance their best interests with the company's best interests. That sometimes means hard decisions and pulling people back in line when it's warranted. But by no means should your employees be afraid that you're sitting back, waiting to pounce on them with discipline. They should be able to respect you because you are their leader and understand that you are fair across the board, and only resort to disciplinary measures when required.

Sure.... you CAN write someone up or terminate them but you really don't want to be "that" kind of boss to them. Those types are the ones who usually end up being taken to HR constantly because their employees want them gone. You can find the balance that allows them to respect you and your authority. I've seen managers come in who literally spend a lot of their time focused on trying to get the next write up or that are constantly reminding people that they have the authority. It never ends well. Real leaders don't need to do that. Their employees will respect them without doing those things, and only in extreme circumstances do you take that path. Even then, you make your best effort to correct the behavior and work with them before escalating to termination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 06:45 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
It sounds like you are eager to get this position, and that you would do well. Aside from anything negative that might happen, you know you need to go for it anyway.
Let's pretend all your worst fears come true. At least it will have been a great learning experience and it will be good on your resume.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:04 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,
The management position has opened up in our small, eight person department. I was hired "off the street" a year ago into this department. I have industry experience, but was working at a non industry position. I was able to grasp my current job very quickly.

The management position has been posted, and upon reading it, it seems like something I would be good at. Not only do I meet the requirements, I exceed them. The pay would be good, and I think it would look good on my resume. In my 10 years of professional work experience, I haven't held a management position (I'm 30).

There are two workers that have been in this department almost as long as I've been alive! I know they will do everything in their power to make my life a living hell if I were to get the position. I know they will not respect me. I will forever be "the new guy". With that said, to my knowledge, neither of them are interested in the position.

Would the hassle of these two people be worth it? They have been here a while, but are still about five years out from retirement. Should I go for a management position just because its management and will it open up doors for me at this company?
Definitely apply. Who cares what your co-workers opinions are, they don't pay your bills.

Besides, with these co-workers, at least you'd be in the position that they better at least pretend to respect you. Go for it!

Old 11-01-2016, 08:27 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
A caveat..... respect is earned. It doesn't matter what position you are in. The OP can earn that respect from them easily enough but it isn't implied unfortunately.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:03 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
OP, do you want to be in management or are you just looking to progress your career and moving to management is the only way to do it at your company?

In theory, applying will send a signal to others in your company that you are looking to expand you scope of responsibilities. Depending upon what sort of talent review process your company uses (if any), even if you dont get this job, you may be asked to apply for other openings in the future.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:03 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,340 times
UPDATE:
Thank you all for the replies here. I debated about starting a new thread, if I should please let me know.

A few months has gone by since this post, and as such, so have interviews. The latest word is they have selected a someone to fill in this position.

Not me.

I was not contacted once regarding this position. I met, and exceeded all the requirements for the management position. I am disappointed that the hiring manager (my boss's boss, whom I met once) did not reach out to me. I work nights, so by the time I come in/leave all the "important" people are no longer in the office. I am sure I am a name he's seen on payroll before, but that's that.

Even if I didn't get an interview, it would have been nice to at least get an e-mail saying something along the lines of "leadingedge04, thank you for applying, I appreciate you want to move up in this company, but we have gone a different direction".

The guy I hear they selected has 30 years at the company, and worked in this department for a short period of time. In other words, this guy has been working at this company as long as I've been alive! I think the competition was a little out of my league in terms of seniority, which it seems mattered to the hiring manager. Not sure this guy's educational background, but only a high school diploma was required.

Most likely I'll get the computer-generated "thanks but no thanks" e-mail in the next few days. Was I too hopeful to at least expect a short meeting, e-mail, phone call...anything with the hiring manger to discuss my goals in the company, or is it common these days to get the generic rejection e-mail, even if applying in your own department? It seems a little cold, but that could be the norm these days.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:32 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
UPDATE:
Thank you all for the replies here. I debated about starting a new thread, if I should please let me know.

A few months has gone by since this post, and as such, so have interviews. The latest word is they have selected a someone to fill in this position.

Not me.

I was not contacted once regarding this position. I met, and exceeded all the requirements for the management position. I am disappointed that the hiring manager (my boss's boss, whom I met once) did not reach out to me. I work nights, so by the time I come in/leave all the "important" people are no longer in the office. I am sure I am a name he's seen on payroll before, but that's that.

Even if I didn't get an interview, it would have been nice to at least get an e-mail saying something along the lines of "leadingedge04, thank you for applying, I appreciate you want to move up in this company, but we have gone a different direction".

The guy I hear they selected has 30 years at the company, and worked in this department for a short period of time. In other words, this guy has been working at this company as long as I've been alive! I think the competition was a little out of my league in terms of seniority, which it seems mattered to the hiring manager. Not sure this guy's educational background, but only a high school diploma was required.

Most likely I'll get the computer-generated "thanks but no thanks" e-mail in the next few days. Was I too hopeful to at least expect a short meeting, e-mail, phone call...anything with the hiring manger to discuss my goals in the company, or is it common these days to get the generic rejection e-mail, even if applying in your own department? It seems a little cold, but that could be the norm these days.
It depends on how many applicants there were. The reality is that you may not have even made the referral list from HR. If there are lots of applicants, HR ranks the candidates, and only forwards the ones who rate the highest. Managers generally don't have time to sift through 20-30 resumes. In other words, they may not even know you applied.

In my opinion, you may have unrealistic expectations for a personal call, email, etc. You mention that you met the hiring manager "once" - and only know about the person who was selected through the grapevine. This tells me you work in a relatively large organization. The hiring manager is busy, and may not even remember you. I wouldn't read too much in to the lack of personal contact.

You're young. Just keep doing what you're doing. Find a mentor to help you make that next step, and you'll get there eventually.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
It depends on how many applicants there were. The reality is that you may not have even made the referral list from HR. If there are lots of applicants, HR ranks the candidates, and only forwards the ones who rate the highest. Managers generally don't have time to sift through 20-30 resumes. In other words, they may not even know you applied.

In my opinion, you may have unrealistic expectations for a personal call, email, etc. You mention that you met the hiring manager "once" - and only know about the person who was selected through the grapevine. This tells me you work in a relatively large organization. The hiring manager is busy, and may not even remember you. I wouldn't read too much in to the lack of personal contact.

You're young. Just keep doing what you're doing. Find a mentor to help you make that next step, and you'll get there eventually.

Yes, that is true. I forgot that it gets filtered through HR. Yes, I work in HQ at a very large organization. I'll find myself a mentor. Thank you for your reply!

Old 12-25-2016, 02:22 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I agree with DMills. Especially about looking for a possible mentor.

Keep you eyes on the future, apply every time for your next advancement and meanwhile keep building your seniority and be the hardworking employee that they come to depend on. You'll get there.

Old 12-25-2016, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I agree with DMills. Especially about looking for a possible mentor.

Keep you eyes on the future, apply every time for your next advancement and meanwhile keep building your seniority and be the hardworking employee that they come to depend on. You'll get there.

About that... I have been told that applying to too many jobs is a bad sign. Is that true? I want to get promoted, but don't want it to back fire.

Whenever we apply to a job, an e-mail gets delivered to our manager. My old manager noticed me applying to a few different type of jobs that I think I'd be good at, and am qualified for. He gave me his advice that it looked like I was unsure of what I wanted to do and I looked "crazy". He told me I'd never last here.

My coworker also says that if we apply to too many jobs, it sends up red flags to hiring managers. Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment