Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 06:23 PM

791 posts, read 2,958,705 times

Advertisements

I am currently out of work and now have an opportunity to go into a potentially very high paying career. This job involves dealing with numbers everyday and many tough negotiations. This really isn't my comfort zone and I am more of a creative person (I think, lol) and tend to get intimidated by people that have a strong presence. So if you were me would you jump in, give it a shot and see if it turned into a great career or would you continue to look for the career you think would be a perfect fit?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,380 times
What do you have to loose? Nothing? You can gain at least some pay if you quit or get fired.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:56 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I am currently out of work and now have an opportunity to go into a potentially very high paying career. This job involves dealing with numbers everyday and many tough negotiations. This really isn't my comfort zone and I am more of a creative person (I think, lol) and tend to get intimidated by people that have a strong presence. So if you were me would you jump in, give it a shot and see if it turned into a great career or would you continue to look for the career you think would be a perfect fit?

Thanks!

I've never known anything to "turn into a great career" unless you have passion for it. I also left a "great career" because I couldn't stand working with numbers (accounting). Tough negotiators, that would be fine. I like that sort of thing. However, the way that you're stating things, it's as some sort of magical, mystical force is going to cause you to be "great" even if you don't have passion or enjoyment for what you're doing. If you are willing to expand your comfort zone and truly desire to become excellent in that profession, that's one thing, but if you're always going to feel that there's something else that you'd rather be doing, that will be evident to your employer sooner or later. Then you're going to end up picking the pieces up and having to start all over again. I'd rather not go that way, because truthfully, I've already been there. Whatever you choose, you'll be fine.

P.S. - I just now read that you're out of work. In that case, you probably have more to think about as there's that "having to pay the bills" dilemma. In that case, my answer would have to be really think about it, and if you choose to take the job, be open to learning and expanding your comfort zone. I think it depends on how desperate you are for work and or money. There is always the practical side of things as well. There is the survival factor. Again, wishing you the best.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
I would tend to agree with Donna7 that great carreers are those that you love. For me I love healthcare and don't mind staying over at the hospital or offering to work when others can't. I don't work with the patients other than making sure that the equipment that they use is in working order or that the facility is in working order. When I am on the facility fals under my responsibility. I love that.

When you are out of work though maybe it is not the time to be looking for the perfect carreer but something that will pay the bills. You will either find something that you love or get by till you do. It sure is a lot easier finding the perfect job when you can afford to eat and buy clothes then when you are starving and have nothing to wear.

Another thought is that you may need to determine just what it is you want to do with your life.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:44 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
[quote=SOON2BNSURPRISE;2950087]
When you are out of work though maybe it is not the time to be looking for the perfect carreer but something that will pay the bills. You will either find something that you love or get by till you do. It sure is a lot easier finding the perfect job when you can afford to eat and buy clothes then when you are starving and have nothing to wear.
quote]

Now this is a realistic and practical advise! Many of us are thrown by circumstances into a position of extreme discomfort, myself presently included, but one must do what one must do to first survive. When your mind is free and clear of being in survival mode, it is when you could shift to "ideal" scenarios.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM

857 posts, read 4,878,633 times
Quote:

Thanks!
When you say "potentially very high paying" it makes me think it is a commission-based job. If so, no.
you are out of work which means you need to have some income asap. If this is strictly commission that won't help you. Plus, if its something that you aren't comfortable with it may never turn into something high paying.
I think life is too short to spend so much of our time working at something we don't like. I think you would be better off to take some part-time job for the moment just to have a little cash flow, and continue looking for a job that you think you could be happy in.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:18 PM

Although I am out of work, my spouse works and even though I do need to bring in an income our household could survive 6 more months without me bringing in a lot of money.
With the job it is commission based and I would be required to pay out a couple hundred per month for my desk fee so it's not a job I would take to pay the bills it would be a complete commitment of educating myself in this line of work.
I guess the reason I am being so picky is that I don't just want another job I want a career that I can stick with for at least the next 10 years and being I have not had any other offers I can either jump into this or my other option is to start my own business from home.
I do have do admit that I am afraid of failing and looking like and idiot so that is a big part of my hesitation.
Thank you all for your comments, they have been helpful :-)

Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
If you're paying a couple of hundred a month for the job, you'd better be pretty certain you will make money at it.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
If you're paying a couple of hundred a month for the job, you'd better be pretty certain you will make money at it.
Isn't that the truth, I heard that it used to be normal for the brokers to pay the newbies a salary for the first 6 months to a year but now it's straight commission.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:24 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Quote:
Although
I do have do admit that I am afraid of failing and looking like and idiot so that is a big part of my hesitation.
It was for me too. I recently began an entirely new career path that involves work I have never done. I've made mistakes, but also I let clients know right up front that since I am not the most experienced member of the office, it does not offend me if they prefer another co-worker. You know what? Most every one of them has chosen to "try me out", and it has worked well so far. I think everyone remembers what it is like to be the new kid on the block. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment