Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 11:07 AM

251 posts, read 236,597 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate these 10 page applications that make you take tests, ask personal questions like

>>> what is your salary now<<<<<<<<<<< ISNT ANYONE'S BUSINESS.... sorry but what does what I make NOW have to do with it... I know you all say its because if you earn 100,000.00 and are applying for a 35 k job your OVERQUALIFIED ... and thats a bunch of CRAP!!! I know a few that made well over 100 grand but got chopped due to reorganization, BUT............. they can easily live on 35 grand because they were SMART and saved about 3 years pay !! but in my opinion employers have no right to ask

I went on a interview and was asked that and I was a smart ass and asked the interviewer the same thing

what sir do you make.................. needless to say I did not get the job!!

I am sick of redundant applications asking for stupid things like 5 references??? wtf???????

anyone that gives references will tell a employer nothing but great things even lies!!! so why even ask for references?????? STUPID!!!!

How bout the application that asks things you have on your resume that you also included like list your experience well DUHH LOOK AT MY F&&KING resume its included with my application

and salary requirements?? why not tell me what you offer and if I think its good then I will proceed.

and then there are a few that want to check my credit.................

the application process is such a damn waste of time... I can hear many reply now and say with a attitude like mine I wont get a job... well maybe so, but so much that is asked is NO ONES BUSINESS

I GOTTA SAY IT WAS WORTH PUTTING ON A 3 PIECE SUIT, SITTING IN RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC AND FINALLY ARRIVE AT THE INTERVIEW SEE THE LOOK ON THE INTERVIEWERS FACE WHEN I ANSWERED HIS QUESTION ABOUT WHAT I EARN NOW........... WHEN I SAID WELL SIR WHAT DO YOU EARN.... HIS LOOK WAS PRICELESS!! HAHAHAHAA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 11:14 AM

708 posts, read 577,973 times
Nice vent! �� The psychological tests, ridiculous! They ask the same questions 15 different ways to see if you answer any differently. They say you can't answer it wrong...well....obviously you can.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:23 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
Nice vent! �� The psychological tests, ridiculous! They ask the same questions 15 different ways to see if you answer any differently. They say you can't answer it wrong...well....obviously you can.
Yes you definitely can answer it wrong. Some places even send you an email saying you passed the assessment.

Even then though, online applications still suck. I did an application recently and it said that I passed the test but I haven't got any word back. You are put in a black hole and it seems like you can't do anything about it because if you try to follow up they might get annoyed. Anytime they haven't picked me to do an interview and I tell them I did an application they're often not interested.

As to the references even paper applications can do that now though. I did one recently that wanted 3 references that were NOT friends or family members. I struggled to put someone down and I hated that because I basically lied. I hope they don't catch me on it in an interview because I'm the worst liar in the world. I even have trouble spinning the truth positively sometimes because my filter does not work like it should.

The whole process of getting a job is just bull and I cannot take it anymore!! The more I have tried to find work the angrier I get because it's like rocket science these days. I don't like to admit it because I have thanatophobia but it is so frustrating that this crap makes me literally have suicidal thoughts at night because there's just no end to the suffering of being unemployed so it sounds like you are handling it better than me (you probably haven't been looking as long as I have that might be why) I hope employers are happy they are making me have thoughts I don't want to have.

Last edited by Nickchick; 11-05-2016 at 11:33 AM..

Old 11-05-2016, 11:35 AM

403 posts, read 666,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
I absolutely hate these 10 page applications that make you take tests, ask personal questions like

>>> what is your salary now<<<<<<<<<<< ISNT ANYONE'S BUSINESS.... sorry but what does what I make NOW have to do with it... I know you all say its because if you earn 100,000.00 and are applying for a 35 k job your OVERQUALIFIED ... and thats a bunch of CRAP!!! I know a few that made well over 100 grand but got chopped due to reorganization, BUT............. they can easily live on 35 grand because they were SMART and saved about 3 years pay !! but in my opinion employers have no right to ask

I went on a interview and was asked that and I was a smart ass and asked the interviewer the same thing

what sir do you make.................. needless to say I did not get the job!!

I am sick of redundant applications asking for stupid things like 5 references??? wtf???????

anyone that gives references will tell a employer nothing but great things even lies!!! so why even ask for references?????? STUPID!!!!

How bout the application that asks things you have on your resume that you also included like list your experience well DUHH LOOK AT MY F&&KING resume its included with my application

and salary requirements?? why not tell me what you offer and if I think its good then I will proceed.

and then there are a few that want to check my credit.................

the application process is such a damn waste of time... I can hear many reply now and say with a attitude like mine I wont get a job... well maybe so, but so much that is asked is NO ONES BUSINESS

I GOTTA SAY IT WAS WORTH PUTTING ON A 3 PIECE SUIT, SITTING IN RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC AND FINALLY ARRIVE AT THE INTERVIEW SEE THE LOOK ON THE INTERVIEWERS FACE WHEN I ANSWERED HIS QUESTION ABOUT WHAT I EARN NOW........... WHEN I SAID WELL SIR WHAT DO YOU EARN.... HIS LOOK WAS PRICELESS!! HAHAHAHAA
The one on the Buffalo Wild Wings website is the most ridiculous. They have us answer their questions with the options being 'extremely disagree, disagree, slightly disagree, neutral, slightly agree, agree or extremely agree' with them asking for everybody to not put answer positively?

Old 11-05-2016, 11:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Unlike the mid 1990s when employers were desperate for qualified help, they can now be more selective, so they are. I agree that those psychological and personality tests are way overrated, and asking previous salary isn't even necessary since it's easy to get a good idea from the duties and employer listed. I have actually hired overqualified people after they explained their reasons for wanting the job I offered. We only ask for 3 references, and only to ensure getting 1-2 who are available to talk. We would only call 3 if the first two gave different reviews. Difficult as it is for applicants, the employers have all the power. Failure to answer their questions and play their games just means they go on to the next person, and most of the time there are far more than one meeting the requirements. I interviewed for a a a a position last week to replace a retiree, and any of the top 4 interviewed would have been fine, but only one could be selected. That's where fitting in with the rest of the team comes in. That is another source of frustration for applicants, but it does make a big difference having people working together that get along.

Old 12-18-2016, 04:38 PM

251 posts, read 236,597 times
We need to seriously change the way we interview... What happened to the days when you sent a resume, as interviewed and if they liked what they heard then had you fill out a application. If I see long applications I pass because I KNOW I wont get called back

Old 12-18-2016, 04:58 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Having candidates complete an online application gives them some skin in the game. They can't just click and send resumes for jobs they have no qualifications for. When that was the case some years ago, you could get hundreds of resumes from people with absolutely no qualifications--we're talking about people with a background in yardwork where a CPA is required. Just as candidates don't want their time wasted, neither do employers.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:07 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,153 times
I was thinking recently of applying for a job as a substitute teacher in our local school district. I have a BS science degree and figure I can sub for math and science classes. First off I'd need to get a 3 year substitute teaching certificate from the state, that costs $90. Then I need to get a background check and fingerprinting, $40. Getting my official transcripts costs $10. Then I need 3 references, plus 3 letters of recommendation from people other than the references. OK, working with students, I guess states have to hold people to a standard. Then I looked up the pay rates. $94/day. That's if you get hired after wrangling together all that paperwork (and paying $140). That's a lot of hoops to jump through for a $11.80/hr. For a p/t, no benefits, no job security job that requires a BS/BA degree. Now I'm thinking that it hardly seems worth it for that low a pay.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:42 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Its nonsense. A Resume should suffice. One shouldn't have to fill out a 100 page application form when the damn info is RIGHT ON THE RESUME!!!!

Its just hoops to jump through for job thats may or may not be filled for the candidate to waste their time and spend way too much time on POSSIBLE job openings

And its even worse when its just some entry level lower paying job and you're overqualified for it because you have to find something sooner or later which many recent graduates have to deal with today.

Theres no need for these lengthy application procedures. None at all

Old 12-18-2016, 05:48 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its nonsense. A Resume should suffice. One shouldn't have to fill out a 100 page application form when the damn info is RIGHT ON THE RESUME!!!!
Actually, it's easier for an employer to weed through thousands of candidates with forms that have been filled out rather than reading all the resumes during the first pass.

The issue is that these days a lot of wildly unqualified candidates apply to job listings which makes recruiting a big mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment