Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 12:28 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,193 times

Advertisements

Calling off sick because of the election..? Have to agree, over the top. The world did not cave in and explode itself, she needs to move on with life. Work and daily life continues on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 12:54 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
over the top yes, as her employer i would be second guessing hiring her. As her coworker, if she is so sensitive as to let this bother her, then it is better she stay home, all she would have done all day is annoy you and keep you from your work and everyone in your office. Let her have a day, if this is how she want's to burn a sick or PTO day, so be it.
What about leave without pay, why are companies so weird about LWOP? Are the managers so ineffectual that they cant account for someone taking a personal day without pay that it has to be part of the sick time/PTO structure or they don't know what to do?

I had a legitimate reason to be worried if the election went the other way because I live right next to a tactical nuke target. You should ask her what specifically why it matters to her personally.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:06 PM

679 posts, read 812,192 times
I came in late this morning, not because of "mourning", but from staying up late to watch the Trump victory.

It was worth loosing some sleep to see all the so called "experts" and media types have to retract what they said just 24 hours earlier.

Over the years, I have made it a point not to schedule any activities or appointments the day after a presidential election.

I do suspect one of my colleagues who is not in today is probably drowning his sorry with alcohol...

Old 11-09-2016, 01:10 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I'd have said to her (in a Donald Trump voice): You're fired!

Old 11-09-2016, 01:46 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I'm kind of concerned that management will find out. I was wondering if I should advise her to take that Facebook post down. I don't want her to get in trouble. (Not sure if she would or not)
She is an adult, you are not her parent, just do your work.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:48 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
What about leave without pay, why are companies so weird about LWOP? Are the managers so ineffectual that they cant account for someone taking a personal day without pay that it has to be part of the sick time/PTO structure or they don't know what to do?

I had a legitimate reason to be worried if the election went the other way because I live right next to a tactical nuke target. You should ask her what specifically why it matters to her personally.
they can call the day off whatever they heck they want, that was not the point of the post.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:55 PM

343 posts, read 229,649 times
I understand her POV. Just let it go. Everyone is going to rejoice/ mourn in their own way today and eventually we will all have to come to terms with it. This is what "personal days" cover.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:13 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
Yeah, it's not smart to have that on Facebook. If you're on good terms with her, I would suggest that she consider taking it down.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:22 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
they can call the day off whatever they heck they want, that was not the point of the post.
It is more of an observation of a series of other posts and my own experience. Some managers loose their crap when someone wants 30 min off that is not scheduled 3 years in advance because its PTO but then when leave without pay is brought up they scoff because its like they cant manage absences or they are running such a skeleton crew that everything goes to pot when one person is 5 min late

So what is the solution? Indentured servitude is not back yet ... I know the elites are pushing for it though.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:29 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
This election has effected people so profoundly that this employee really may be feeling physically ill. I've seen psychologists state on TV that it has taken a real mental toll on many.

If she has sick days coming and she wants to use one to pull herself together after the let down, I don't see the harm. I've seen people taking off work for much lesser reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment