Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 04:18 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
His first 100 days plan states that he will reduce federal employees through attrition by not replacing anyone who leaves. Which that tends to just leave behind the mediocre employees as the good ones go off to better opportunities.
I'd disagree there. It's pretty tough to get a federal job. It's generally not that gig you do because you can't find anything better in the private sector. It's mostly full of two types of people. One are the lazies. They landed the federal job either with that intent or soon after realized they could be lazy and nothing would really happen. The other group is people that do work hard but want stability and work/life balance rather than a larger paycheck in the private sector. They're basically not the most ambitious people in the world, but they get the job done. Then you've got a very small minority have aspirations and are using government employment to climb the ladder.

The very small minority you won't pick up any new ones with attrition as they move up to department heads or elected positions. The lazy people and people who get the job done probably won't go anywhere, at least not at first. Depending how much the labor force is reduced they might later on. It will be the people who get the job done who pick up the slack and they may leave. Otherwise it will be like the DMV where it takes 2 hours to get though the lines to do stuff you should be able to do online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 06:01 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
These types of threads always leave me scratching my head. Does anyone really believe that one man,in this case Donald Trump,has the power or the authority to arbitrarily make rules,laws,decisions or the like solely on his own?

For cryin out loud,we just elected a new president,not a monarch,king,or ruthless dictator! This is America,not a dictatorship.

I didn't get to vote in this years election due to my moving to another state and my absentee ballot didn't arrive in time,but the truth is I do not believe it makes one bit of difference which candidate won. Neither one of them has an ounce of decency about them,they are both liars to their core and cannot be trusted,they are both privileged elitists out of touch with the comman man or woman,and far worse than all of these is the fact that they are both ruthless zealots who will destroy anyone who gets in their way.

I think those running around like chicken little will ultimately realize 'twas much ado about nothing. After all, America has survived it's fair share of questionable presidents since its beginning. I see no reason why the trend won't continue.
Unless you were in a swing state, the vote likely wouldn't have mattered much.

I am of the opinion that the US system is too "entrenched" for any one president to make a difference. Major changes won't be possible. We'd need replace, not just fix the US government. Not likely to happen. This is pretty much why I haven't really given 2 @#$! when Obama got elected, yet again, and had Bush before that, yet again, etc.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:53 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Is there some reason you won't apply the same standard to the DoD that you do to other federal agencies?
Trump is proposing to build 80 new ships, about 1200 fighter aircraft, and a number of missiles. You are going to need DOD personnel to accomplish this. About 20-25% of DOD employees are retired military personnel so have valuable experience. I don't see DOD civilian staff being cut.

As far as the future of federal employment, Trump has primarily talked about a hiring freeze and reduction of force through attrition. Hiring freezes are standard procedure and a third of federal employees are eligible to retire so attrition may not be that difficult to achieve. Especially if some of Paul Ryan's initiatives are adopted. In the past, the House has proposed continuing the three years of pay freezes, increasing the employee contribution to the pension fund, eliminating the FERS supplement, etc. But these measures have not gotten through the Senate. However, new employees are contributing more to the pension. And there has been talk of eliminating the defined benefit annuity for future new hires.

I'm retiring next September after 32 years of service and feeling better about it every day. The only things that worry me are if they fool with the retiree COLA or increase our contribution to health insurance (e.g., employees and retirees pay about 30%). But I agree with some of the posters here that major changes will not be possible. .

Old 11-12-2016, 08:54 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Trump is proposing to build 80 new ships, about 1200 fighter aircraft, and a number of missiles.
Why do we need them?

Old 11-12-2016, 09:08 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post
Why do we need them?
The attached article describes it - defend us from all those global threats. I didn't vote for the guy so can't explain his proposals.

Donald Trump wants bigger military, bigger defense budget - Washington Times

Old 11-12-2016, 09:20 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,444,985 times
Quote:
The attached article describes it - defend us from all those global threats. I didn't vote for the guy so can't explain his proposals.

Donald Trump wants bigger military, bigger defense budget - Washington Times
I fail to see why the massive military we already have is insufficient.

As of now we already spend more than the next 7 largest spenders combined.

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/c...ding-vs-world/

If he's going to take an axe to the government he should hack where there's the most fraud waste, and abuse. Increasing the national debt even more to enrich defense contractors and beltway bandits is not going to keep us any safer, as far as I can tell.

The defense of the nation is not a jobs program, nor a stimulus to earn K Streeters fees from big defense companies.

Can you explain why we need these additional expenditures, or not?

Old 11-12-2016, 09:49 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Trump is proposing to build 80 new ships, about 1200 fighter aircraft, and a number of missiles. You are going to need DOD personnel to accomplish this. About 20-25% of DOD employees are retired military personnel so have valuable experience. I don't see DOD civilian staff being cut.

As far as the future of federal employment, Trump has primarily talked about a hiring freeze and reduction of force through attrition. Hiring freezes are standard procedure and a third of federal employees are eligible to retire so attrition may not be that difficult to achieve. Especially if some of Paul Ryan's initiatives are adopted. In the past, the House has proposed continuing the three years of pay freezes, increasing the employee contribution to the pension fund, eliminating the FERS supplement, etc. But these measures have not gotten through the Senate. However, new employees are contributing more to the pension. And there has been talk of eliminating the defined benefit annuity for future new hires.

I'm retiring next September after 32 years of service and feeling better about it every day. The only things that worry me are if they fool with the retiree COLA or increase our contribution to health insurance (e.g., employees and retirees pay about 30%). But I agree with some of the posters here that major changes will not be possible. .
And that's the tip of the iceberg.

He's also planning on running the country into even more debt to build infrastructure. All the people doing programmatic things to get projects approved and match funding to projects aren't going to go anywhere. He's going to need MORE people to round up and deport the criminal aliens, more border patrol, people to plan how the wall will be built and tell him it's not feasible. Obamacare will be repealed and replaced with a government program with lots of federal employees that do what insurance companies do (maybe). Department of Energy isn't going anywhere with all the new drilling and fracking and mining. Unless he's stupid he won't get rid of cyber security but will continue to increase spending there. The national electric grid is a huge vulnerability. Like cyber security that's either more Fed jobs or more lucrative contracts ala defense contractors.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:55 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Federal employees are likely safe. At the State and local level, though, often employees are fired so new officeholders can put in their buddies.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:03 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I can't believe people aren't panicking and are happy that this guy was voted in. To think that a person who is one of the richest people in the US gives a hoot about poor working people is just fantasy. Having Republicans control all breaches of government, and they will once Trump appoints a conservative Supreme court justice, gives the president enormous amounts of power. Will he do a good job? Maybe, but I'm skeptical and nervous. I am not a pure Democrat. I have voted for both parties in the past. But Trump's extreme views, complete lack of political experience, and lack of opposition from elected Democrats is something Americans should be very concerned about, in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:08 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
In talking to my friends who are Feds, almost none of them thought Trump would actually win. Now they are facing the reality of him in office.

You hear all the time about the stability of federal jobs, but it appears that Trump will try to downside and cut a lot of the waste (forcing supervisors to justify positions and cut where there's duplication), and make it easier to fire feds who aren't performing, along with hiring freezes.

How do you all think this will affect federal jobs? Will they still be the golden tickets or will they start to become more risky given the potential budget cuts/downsizing/hiring freezes/yearly partial budgets-shutdown threats that seem to happen frequently?

I am a former fed (only temporary as a 2 year medical specialty fellow) who is now in the private sector, and for the record, at least where I worked, there were a lot of really hard working people (not the stereotypes you hear about). There were definitely a few lazy workers, but they were not the majority.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the federal world.

Here are some interesting articles:

https://www.fedsmith.com/2016/11/09/...esident-trump/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-his-policies/
In his speech (the first 100 days) he said he would cut Federal jobs by attrition. IOW as people retire or quit they will not be replaced.
I hope he can bust the Federal workers Unions and the Teachers Unions. No Federal or State government employee should be forced to join a Union. Voluntary membership yes. . . mandatory NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment