Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 11:09 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Beware of fraud in the Major and Minor universities and small colleges. Fraud is taking your money and enrolling you in a program of study leading to a degree that is not in demand, has no real market value and leaves you un or under employed.
A university education is not vocational training that guarantees employment. Some degrees are for personal enrichment, others require a masters of even above that to be employable. It's up to the prospective student to research careers and what qualifications is needed to get that career.

Another option is to seek training in the skilled trades. This is often available at community colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 11:58 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgcj103 View Post
I have a full-time job that requires working nine hours per day (plus overtime when we're really busy.) I have recently decided that I want to go to college and get a degree. I plan to go full-time, do not want it to take 8-10 years to get a Bachelor's degree. And I plan to go on-campus, as I know online courses are often recommended for those that have to work but I don't want to do that, I prefer the campus setting.

Would anyone recommend quitting a FT job to do this? It's probably worth me noting first that:

A) I do not have a family to support, and have only a few bills to pay that don't amount to too much

B) I don't particularly like my job and am in a hurry to get into another career/industry

C) The company does offer tuition reimbursement, but *only* if the degree you are pursuing is related to your current job within the company. Needless to say, I will NOT be getting a degree related to what I do now because I have no interest in staying in the field I'm currently in.

D) I've spoken to several people who have backgrounds teaching at high school or colleges, and they've recommended I ask my employer to let me work part-time; if they refuse, then they say to put in my resignation even if I don't immediately have anything else lined up.

I really think I should ask if they'll work with me and my schedule, and if not, then hand in my notice (I've already been accepted into college, by the way). But what do you suggest? In today's job market, do you think it's unwise to give up a FT job for college even in the circumstances I mentioned?
Well, personally having major student loans to pay back, having a PT job means you'd have SOME income and a way to offset some bills.

I'd go that route unless the employer puts the brakes on it.

Good luck.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:34 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
I have a full-time job that requires working nine hours per day (plus overtime when we're really busy.) I have recently decided that I want to go to college and get a degree. I plan to go full-time, do not want it to take 8-10 years to get a Bachelor's degree. And I plan to go on-campus, as I know online courses are often recommended for those that have to work but I don't want to do that, I prefer the campus setting.

Would anyone recommend quitting a FT job to do this? It's probably worth me noting first that:

A) I do not have a family to support, and have only a few bills to pay that don't amount to too much

B) I don't particularly like my job and am in a hurry to get into another career/industry

C) The company does offer tuition reimbursement, but *only* if the degree you are pursuing is related to your current job within the company. Needless to say, I will NOT be getting a degree related to what I do now because I have no interest in staying in the field I'm currently in.

D) I've spoken to several people who have backgrounds teaching at high school or colleges, and they've recommended I ask my employer to let me work part-time; if they refuse, then they say to put in my resignation even if I don't immediately have anything else lined up.

I really think I should ask if they'll work with me and my schedule, and if not, then hand in my notice (I've already been accepted into college, by the way). But what do you suggest? In today's job market, do you think it's unwise to give up a FT job for college even in the circumstances I mentioned?
1. How old are you?

2. What's the degree you're going for?

3. How are you going to pay for your bills (rent, car note, car repairs, medical, dental, utilities, gas, groceries)?

4. Do you live close to the college and your current job? Wondering if travel time will be a factor going from classes to work & vice versa.

5. Are you getting student loans or grants?

I suggest not quitting until you have a part time job lined up. Anything could happen, like you get injured, which would ruin all your plans AND you wouldn't have a job.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:04 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Beware of fraud in the Major and Minor universities and small colleges. Fraud is taking your money and enrolling you in a program of study leading to a degree that is not in demand, has no real market value and leaves you un or under employed.
Every degree requires Liberal Arts Core Subjects. Take all of those first before declaring any major later on. While I hate to say this, many jobs today don't care what your Major was, only that you have a Degree. Why in the world does a Receptionist need a College Degree?? These very low level white collar jobs are requiring degrees today. Stupid in my book.

Go to a Trade School. Learn a skilled trade. A HS diploma means nothing today. You do not need to go to college, but you need some kind of marketable skills and training beyond HS. The 21st Century has moved on beyond factory jobs requiring only a HS diploma and assembly line work. Robotics can do that today whether in the US or Overseas.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:22 PM

245 posts, read 382,480 times
I'm all for getting an education but you didn't state your age, living expenses, if you are living with parents. I went to college at the age of 21 I thought I was old for college because I didn't go right after high school. But I lived with my mom and held a part-time job while attending college. If you have money saved up and don't have much living expenses I would say go ahead an attend college but it has to be a reputable college there are a lot of for profit institutions which their programs don't amount to a job.
If you are older say 30 years plus, I would say try to hold on to your job while attending school part-time because if you quit your job it will be hard to find a good paying job with a flexible schedule to attended classes.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:58 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
Quote:

I think its a great idea.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:06 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
[quote=kgcj103;46150282]

What is your work experience like so far? What degree are you pursing? What are your plans after you have the degree to get a job doing what? What is your age?

Beyond that, I don't think it is wise to quit a full-time job until you have explored the other options. Allow the company to let you work part-time first. Also, get an official answer on the tuition reimbursement, because some degree programs might quality.

Old 11-13-2016, 09:06 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Take a class at a local community college first to see if you like it. Try your best NOT to accumulate college debt/loans.

Most community colleges also offer classes during summer that run 4-8 weeks instead of the 13 weeks you see per semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment