Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 08:09 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone else did what I did, attend a vo-tech or vocational school after they completed their degree? In any type of program. I went to both paralegal and secretarial vocational schools as a college graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 10:57 PM

505 posts, read 583,539 times
After college I became a flight attendant, which was an intensive, industry specific, vocational school.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:17 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,454,444 times
Yep went to 2 year trade school got 2 certificates. Pretty good deal I think it came to like 12-14K for the two years including boarding back in 2000.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:34 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
The people I know that are doing well either are entrepreneurs working as a Plumber, Construction worker, Organic Farmer, etc or that have gone through a technical program (Nursing, Dental Hygienist, Physical/Occupational Therapist Assistant, etc).

The people like me that are looking at graduate programs are struggling. I've tutored students in the sciences that have gone on getting a good paying job, have purchased homes, and started families.

I'm still trying to save money currently staying at home working constantly with the potential to one day make money as possibly a Physician.

The reality is though, is that I could still justify the local community college nursing program as a good financial investment even after all of the schooling I've been through.

I don't recommend people going into college nowadays with the costs unless they're taking advantage of the cheap community college technical health related programs.

Many going that route are better off when you look at the job prospects and their debt: income ratio. Be careful not to dig your self a whole of student loan debt that you can't get out of.

Some of us have played the game (have gotten played by it?) and now feel trapped with nowhere to go.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:44 AM

It's an interesting balance. I would say most of my former high school classmates that went to a 4 year or longer college are just starting to catch up to my income 15 years later. Other then a few that became DR's Lawyers, and a few in sales, most struggled thru their 20's with lower paying jobs then I had. I have been stagnant for 4 years now and that has allowed alot to catch up, but in reality they are still behind if you include the extra 2 year head start on income the greater income early in career and the low cost of my education versus theirs.

In certain trades there is no ceiling but in others I think you hit a point (currently somewhere in the 50-100k range depending on trade) where it's hard to make more without going into business for yourself.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:35 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I did both at the same time. Graduated with a degree in Mech Engineering, and then took the test for the electrician's license. How I managed to do both is a long story beyond the scope of this thread.

I did the electrical trade for a while and made very good money. It paid my student loans off in 3-4 years, and I was regretting going to college at all. However, in my late 20's, I started to feel the toll it took on my body, and changed careers to engineering. I still get to apply my electrical background in the engineering field, so it was all well worth it. Only real electrical work I do these days is my own house.

Old 11-14-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I did both at the same time. Graduated with a degree in Mech Engineering, and then took the test for the electrician's license. How I managed to do both is a long story beyond the scope of this thread.

I did the electrical trade for a while and made very good money. It paid my student loans off in 3-4 years, and I was regretting going to college at all. However, in my late 20's, I started to feel the toll it took on my body, and changed careers to engineering. I still get to apply my electrical background in the engineering field, so it was all well worth it. Only real electrical work I do these days is my own house.
That's funny and I know that's how most people are but I ended up more and more behind a desk by the time I was 30. I really wish I could go back to working with my hands and have the same growth opportunity. I honestly feel better working around the house and doing side jobs then I do after sitting at my desk all day.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:08 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
That's funny and I know that's how most people are but I ended up more and more behind a desk by the time I was 30. I really wish I could go back to working with my hands and have the same growth opportunity. I honestly feel better working around the house and doing side jobs then I do after sitting at my desk all day.

Same here. I look forward to a nice quiet Sat at home when I can bang out some projects like installing recessed lighting. I get more fulfillment from that, than my weekday job of sitting behind a desk doing engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment