Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:57 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times

Advertisements

Why can't company HR perform the same function? What's so hard about looking up Linkedin, Monster, for candidates based on requirements then call? Most recruiters are about as knowledgeable as any HR generalist.

Weird thing is that I see a job posting online, I applied to it and get no calls or emails back. Then recruiter calls and tells me about the same job and takes my resume and submit it. I get phone call from the recruiter back the next day asking for in-person interview.

Then I get a phone call 2 weeks later from the hiring company asking for phone interview and I said I've already interviewed in-person with them through an agency.

I didn't get the job because the sign is there that while I am being considered for the role after interviews they still went out looking for other candidates and not narrowing down their selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 02:09 PM

387 posts, read 358,211 times
Makes you wonder what HR does these days. They use staffing agencies to find workers and background check companies to vet them. And when a worker quits or is fired, they either send out some form letter or do nothing at all. Sounds like a sweet gig actually. I think all they do is send out mass e-mails to the company telling workers about the holiday party or whatever.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:50 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Because HR and the hiring process in general is a total cluster F. Unless you know someone, HR at most companies is going to either lose your resume, throw hurdles at you, find some lame reason not related to your skills to reject you and otherwise make a mess out of something that should be a simple and straightforward process.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:51 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
I have conflicting opinions on this topic. On the one hand, I totally agree- external recruiters are such a drag on the economics of hiring a new employee. It seems like a company should have a huge team of internal recruiters since all they really need to do is place two or three people for the year and their salaries are paid off in terms of saved recruiter fees.

However, after having worked with internal recruiters, there is just some sort of weird disconnect that seems to happen once they go in-house. They take on the persona of a gate-keeper and just really don't have the motivation to fill roles with the best people.

External recruiters, on the other hand, are looking for business and repeat business, so they fight hard to place really good candidates and do their best to please the client in order to get more business. As a job seeker, I greatly prefer going through an external recruiter since you really feel them fighting for you. Strangely it doesn't seem to hurt the salary negotiation either even though they're getting a big fee.

All that said, my current job went through an internal recruiter who treated me well, like an external recruiter would. So I guess I just said a lot of nothing.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:58 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
Some HR have recruiters in the dept, some don't. Generally, it's the hiring manager who should take the lead on recruiting for the position, sometimes with HR assist, sometimes not.

Old 11-17-2016, 05:53 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
Makes you wonder what HR does these days. They use staffing agencies to find workers and background check companies to vet them. And when a worker quits or is fired, they either send out some form letter or do nothing at all. Sounds like a sweet gig actually. I think all they do is send out mass e-mails to the company telling workers about the holiday party or whatever.
Mediate petty disputes between coworkers, deal with unprofessional employees, listen to employees complain about how the company is screwing them. All in all be the hall monitor of the workforce.

Old 11-17-2016, 06:02 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Mediate petty disputes between coworkers, deal with unprofessional employees, listen to employees complain about how the company is screwing them. All in all be the hall monitor of the workforce.
They can't even do that right.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:25 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
There are many recruiters because there are few business costs involved. All you need to be a recruiter is a computer with internet access and a phone.

Many businesses will NOT pay a finder fee unless it's a job that has some high level technical skills that are hard to find. Example: nobody will pay ten thousand dollars to find a mail clerk.

Old 11-17-2016, 08:26 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
99% of recruiters are sleazy scum. We need plenty of the other 1%. But the math makes the total number 100 times higher than it should be. If we need 1000 good recruiters throughout the USA, but 99% are sleazy scum, we need 100,000 total, for 1000 of them to be good recruiters.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:01 AM

449 posts, read 495,180 times
It's a low level job and easy to get into. I think they make commission depending on each successful candidate they submit to a company that gets hired. I've also noticed most recruiters are women, and there seems to be a growing number of these resume vacuums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment