Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 01:59 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,169,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden17 View Post
I quit my job back in March and have been on several interviews since then. When the employers asked what I've been doing since March, I started off telling them I have been applying and interviewing for jobs. I have since started saying that I have been applying and interviewing, and since my grandma had knee and hip replacement surgery during the break I have been saying I have been taking care of her which isn't a complete lie as I have watched her while she's in recovery.

I know it wasn't the best move in the world to quit without another job lined up, but I was literally going crazy with the harassing behavior and toxicity of my last job. The last three months I was there, two people quit, two transferred and another retired. If that isn't high turnover and signs of a toxic workplace, what is?!

What's a valid reason to give potential employers?
The truth. That's all that is needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 02:35 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Then what should he say? How is he going to account for the employment gap?
They already know the answer because they received his resume so the obvious answer would be job searching.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:35 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
They already know the answer because they received his resume so the obvious answer would be job searching.

Old 11-20-2016, 03:49 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Unfortunately, sometimes the truth is harder to believe than a lie. In the past, I've told the truth about something in an interview and because of it (yes, I know for a fact) I lost the job. Ironically, the truth I told was another incident in a previous job where I told a truth that was actually not as believable as a lie.

I was young and naïve back then.

I'm not telling people to lie. I'm saying before you tell the truth, consider how it sounds first. Sometimes, the truth sounds absolutely unbelievable. In such a situation, it's best to leave it out.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:27 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Needed for what? To get the job? I don't think so.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:33 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
why not, now this might be a wild idea, but why not

just tell the truth. I been sitting at home watching Oprah, or I went fishing. clean the yard. grew a garden, walk the dog etc

because 90% of those you interview with, wish they could do the same thing , I read a book for eight months.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:52 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Just tell the truth, and let the chips fall as they may.

Did you gauge how long you could afford to be out of work before quitting? How long do you have left until the finances get ugly?

Old 11-21-2016, 02:48 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
I had a 11 month gap and not one employer ever asked me what I was doing since my last job. I would probably end the interview if I was asked that question because it would not make any sense. I obviously was job searching which is how you received my resume

If it comes up just talk about what you learned at the last job and how it fits perfectly with the job you are trying to get.
I don't know what field you are in, but most of the time if they ask what you've been doing since then, the right answer would be that you've been learning a new skill that would help you in the job you are applying for. I realize this might be hard to do for all fields, but if you worked in a field like IT, there are always things to learn about the profession and having downtime to focus on them is ideal.

So if it is any kind of office job, saying that while job searching you brushed up skills on Excel spreadsheet or whatever that might be useful in this job, that's going to show you in a positive light.

But if you are a janitor, and have not been working for 11 months and are there applying for a janitor job, I agree, it's kind of a stupid question.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
The thing is, prospective employers are going to know you quit without having another job lined up. They're going to ask why, and then they're going to call your last employer and references, who won't have heard anything about your grandmother.
No, that isn't going to happen unless the job was at a Mom & Pop grocery store and Mom or Pop likes to gossip with strangers.

Companies of any size now use places like The Work Number, and all the information that is given is the dates of employment, job title, and if you separated from the company voluntarily or involuntarily. Voluntarily means you quit or resigned. Involuntarily means you were either fired or part of a layoff. There is an option for the employee to have salary revealed to who is authorized to do the background check.

I've been called as part of a background check for a previous employee, and they only want to know, dates of employment, job title and if they worked there full-time. That's it, no question if they were fired, layoff or resigned. I also don't even know what job or company they are applying for, because I'm contacted by the company running the background check to verify employment and they don't tell me that.

The OP should claim the entire time was to provide care of a family member. The thing is, people resign from jobs and don't tell that employer why they are leaving. It isn't like that's a requirement.

Furthermore, it isn't a lie, it is a matter of protecting the OP's privacy. If you wanted to quit your last job to work on your novel, that's your business, and not up for them to sit in judgement on you for doing so. If taking care of a family member works, then use it. Otherwise, say you were doing free-lance work if that applies to your field.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Needed for what? To get the job? I don't think so.
Truth is, "I got sick of coming into work. Decided to move back in with my parents and make it their problem. Now they are ready to kick me out, so I applied for this job. I might be living in my car in another 2 weeks. Which desk would be mine?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment