Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 01:56 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If these new Federal guidelines about removing incompetent workers had been applied to K-12 teachers, I can remember about a dozen of mine who would have been let go. But teachers' unions resist any type of merit evaluation, so that they will be supported by those who know the unions are the only reason they're still employed.
We don't even have a union, and it's still hard to get rid of people. Even if it were easy, I can only think of one or two who would actually be let go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 04:03 PM

119 posts, read 95,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If you are only earning $15.50 an hour, it might be time to consider returning to school or learning a trade. But please tell me who are these government employees earning millions? If they exist then you should be applying for those jobs.
I went through five years of college. Don't even try to tell me to return to school. It's gotten me nowhere.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
I went through five years of college. Don't even try to tell me to return to school. It's gotten me nowhere.
What was your major?

Old 11-23-2016, 05:29 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Up front you stated "I have lived near DC my entire life, I have worked with Fed Agencies for the last 25. The cliché about the overpaid, lazy Gov worker is spot on." That's written in such as way as to imply that you know that many if not most gov workers are lazy. Then from your comments below, it seems to be one person. I agree, there are always problem employees in any organization. But that is a far cry from many/most/all and that's what I'm challenging -- your up front broad brush claims tarring an entire class of workers over "The cliché about the overpaid, lazy Gov worker is spot on" when your actual, first hand knowledge is limited to a very small part of a small organization in one city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You asked for an elaboration, I gave you my accounts. Just because my answer does not fit your argument is no reason to insult me by claiming that I don't know how government contracting works.

The issues I illustrated have absolutely nothing to do with government contracts. In every case a contract was in place for each print project in the form of a Simplified Purchase Agreement, administered by GPO. Did you not read my post? A buyer sitting on a job for days, then turning to us to bail him out has NOTHING to do with contract compliance. Not sure where you got that it does.

A print buyer of 30 years who still does not understand that an approved proof needs to be returned before the printer has the authorization to proceed has nothing to do with the contract that is in place, certainly not on my end at least. She is the one unaware that this proof agreement is a binding contract and it must be returned. As I said it is a basic understanding about how the process works and there no excuse for a government print buyer of 30 years not to understand this. The fact that she was not aware again points to competency, it has absolutely nothing to do with Congress, contracts or anything else. A private sector President going to work with the government, then telling me in great detail about the vast difference in work ethic and overall competency between the private sector and the Government Printing Office, again has nothing to do with contract compliance.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:31 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
Good. I'm sick of these overpaid government employees getting paid millions while I'm scraping by on $15.50 an hour at my factory job. My taxes are too high. Probably the reason why the economy is in the situation it's in. Taxes are killing the economy and driving people into poverty.
Which government employees are earning millions?

Old 11-23-2016, 06:28 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
The Kohl's experience in one of the previous posts shows that there are underperformers in every sector. I think most people (public and private) want to do a good job and accomplish something worthwhile at what they do, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Which government employees are earning millions?
None at the federal level. The highest earning federal employees are here:

http://www.business2community.com/go...SGuwrGYBdi0.97

Once you get to the state level, very, very few are even close, compared to the private sector, but of all the very rare jobs existing that are compensated at this level, most are sports coaches :

The Highest Paid Public Employee in Every State - 24/7 Wall St.

Ironically, one of the lowest from that list of the highest paid public employees in each state is a neurosurgeon from Hawaii, who doesn't earn millions per year. I think it says more about our priorites that sports coaches are paid much higher salaries than a neurosurgeon.

Last edited by Jowel; 11-23-2016 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: Clarification regarding federal employees: Highlighted in red

Old 11-23-2016, 06:45 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
and those people are not federal employees... what does trump have to do with them?

sounds like many rants on thread are just people not happy with their own jobs and want everyone else to feel the same. bringing up examples of jobs that arent part of federal system, k-12 teachers?

Old 11-24-2016, 06:59 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Up front you stated "I have lived near DC my entire life, I have worked with Fed Agencies for the last 25. The cliché about the overpaid, lazy Gov worker is spot on." That's written in such as way as to imply that you know that many if not most gov workers are lazy. Then from your comments below, it seems to be one person. I agree, there are always problem employees in any organization. But that is a far cry from many/most/all and that's what I'm challenging -- your up front broad brush claims tarring an entire class of workers over "The cliché about the overpaid, lazy Gov worker is spot on" when your actual, first hand knowledge is limited to a very small part of a small organization in one city.
Well at least your reply here made more sense than the last one, you make fair points here. So let me try to elaborate: Growing up near DC my entire life I have been exposed to countless stories of government workers from friends, associates etc both in and out of the government for decades. This exposure has given me a pretty good idea that "Close Enough For Government Work" exists for a reason. Is it fair to throw all or even most Fed workers under this umbrella? Of course not and I never did this. I clearly said it is most common at the lower grades. And just to be clear the clueless 30 year print buyer was not in DC.

My work experience is hardly limited to 1 person, that was one of several examples I have used here in my previous posts and I have many more. In my previous field, office staffing, the Feds allowed us to start providing our services when I was in that business. Starting from scratch I would call agencies to get basic info such as their address (this was pre-internet). When I called the conversation was nothing short of embarrassing. Instead of a street address I was told "We are in the Cavalier Building" or "down the street from Safeway" by a GS 3 with an attitude who couldn't be bothered with my questions. This simply would not happen often if you called a private firm and I am not talking about the receptionist. If you called my company after hours and got a bindery or warehouse worker who gave you that answer and attitude he/she would be in serious trouble. But at the Feds it's called Tuesday.

Once one of our temps failed to show and since it was a new account I was trying to grow I jumped in and filled the assignment. I spent an afternoon with more low level Federal clerks. Their attitutes and work ethic were totally different than the low level clerks I had worked with in the same situation at private firms. It was shocking, it was some of my first hand experiences with a low level Fed employee and made me realize all those stories I had been hearing for years now made sense. It is a clear pattern and a clear problem.

Sure government workers CAN get fired but they are clearly more protected than workers in the private sector. And this protection will naturally lead to apathy.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 11-24-2016 at 07:31 AM..

Old 11-24-2016, 08:39 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Well at least your reply here made more sense than the last one, you make fair points here. So let me try to elaborate: Growing up near DC my entire life I have been exposed to countless stories of government workers from friends, associates etc both in and out of the government for decades. This exposure has given me a pretty good idea that "Close Enough For Government Work" exists for a reason. Is it fair to throw all or even most Fed workers under this umbrella? Of course not and I never did this. I clearly said it is most common at the lower grades. And just to be clear the clueless 30 year print buyer was not in DC.

My work experience is hardly limited to 1 person, that was one of several examples I have used here in my previous posts and I have many more. In my previous field, office staffing, the Feds allowed us to start providing our services when I was in that business. Starting from scratch I would call agencies to get basic info such as their address (this was pre-internet). When I called the conversation was nothing short of embarrassing. Instead of a street address I was told "We are in the Cavalier Building" or "down the street from Safeway" by a GS 3 with an attitude who couldn't be bothered with my questions. This simply would not happen often if you called a private firm and I am not talking about the receptionist. If you called my company after hours and got a bindery or warehouse worker who gave you that answer and attitude he/she would be in serious trouble. But at the Feds it's called Tuesday.

Once one of our temps failed to show and since it was a new account I was trying to grow I jumped in and filled the assignment. I spent an afternoon with more low level Federal clerks. Their attitutes and work ethic were totally different than the low level clerks I had worked with in the same situation at private firms. It was shocking, it was some of my first hand experiences with a low level Fed employee and made me realize all those stories I had been hearing for years now made sense. It is a clear pattern and a clear problem.

Sure government workers CAN get fired but they are clearly more protected than workers in the private sector. And this protection will naturally lead to apathy.
The bolded statement suggests that people (all people, not just government workers) are primarily motivated by the threat of being fired. Since government jobs have an admittedly higher degree of securitity (although I'd argue. no less accountability) there is no, or less motivation. I'd heartily disagree. Instead, I'd argue that most people are motivated by intangible factors such as pride, responsibility, and a sense of duty. Since government workers are people just like you, your neighbors, or anyone you run into on a daly basis they run the exact same spectrum of poor to superior performance as an other group of workers. It really. Ones down to how you view people in general. If you really believe, as you suggest, I'd hate to work for you.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:08 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I can't say my federal coworkers are worthless, they just aren't held accountable. There kind of IS no accounting. If we all worked as if our jobs depended on it, the performance would pick up. On the other hand, as I've heard told, if we were a civilian company, we'd go under.

Seems like when things are privatized, they go smoother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment