Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 06:06 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times

Advertisements

President-elect Donald Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress are drawing up plans to take on the government bureaucracy they have long railed against, by eroding job protections and grinding down benefits that federal workers have received for a generation.

Hiring freezes, an end to automatic raises, a green light to fire poor performers, a ban on union business on the government’s dime and less generous pensions — these are the contours of the blueprint emerging under Republican control of Washington in January.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-job-security/

Perhaps a Government Job may not remain the "golden ring" that it one was.

One way to achieve equality is for one side to pull the other side into the crab pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 06:19 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
President-elect Donald Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress are drawing up plans to take on the government bureaucracy they have long railed against, by eroding job protections and grinding down benefits that federal workers have received for a generation.

Hiring freezes, an end to automatic raises, a green light to fire poor performers, a ban on union business on the government’s dime and less generous pensions — these are the contours of the blueprint emerging under Republican control of Washington in January.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-job-security/

Perhaps a Government Job may not remain the "golden ring" that it one was.

One way to achieve equality is for one side to pull the other side into the crab pot.
I read this article yesterday, people can debate a-lot of different positions here, and have good points, but in the interest of healing our national divide, I think we can all get on-board with, if you suck at your job, you lose your job.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:04 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,848 times
federal workers, on average, earn more than american workers and have much better health insurance, retirement, and other benefits. Many people wonder why a person working FOR US has better benefits and compensation than us.

I've worked in government - the stereotypes and anecdotes are true - there is no reason they should ever make more than average.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:10 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
he'll figure out most workers are not poor performers anyways :O... or he'd fire most of Congress
Quote:
there is no reason they should ever make more than average.
and on average, government workers have higher education levels than the general public... who reads at below the high school level. compare similar education levels and they don't make more on average the the private sector.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 712,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
he'll figure out most workers are not poor performers anyways :O... or he'd fire most of Congress
and on average, government workers have higher education levels than the general public... who reads at below the high school level. compare similar education levels and they don't make more on average the the private sector.
I was assuming we were comparing government workers with similar private sector workers, not fast food or retail workers.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:16 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
I was assuming we were comparing government workers with similar private sector workers, not fast food or retail workers.
in that case, how are govt workers paid more than similar private sector workers?

At least at the higher educated level, private sector pulls ahead.

Old 11-22-2016, 08:51 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Quote:
It depends on the study you read there are studies claiming both sides of this one. It really seems the trouble is there are a lot of positions in the public space that don't exist in the private space. It really depends. A lot people in the legal field in government for instance get paid less then private. A lot of people in lower functions like purchasing seem to make more. It's really mixed depending on how you cut the comparison.

Also it depends on where you look for demographics some of the benefits have been lowered for newer hires so again it depends.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:41 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
When Ronnie was elected in 1980, we went into panic mode. The operative word that we feared was "downsizing." His cabinet head, Martha McSteen, jumped into the spirit right away and with both feet. The woman who was appointed to be our Commissioner, Dorcas Hardy, was a SHARK. Her first day, meeting with the head of local 1923 AFGE, she said, "You got five minutes, start talking." WOW! When that word came down, we knew we were in deep doo-doo.

UPSHOT: Can't speak for the federal service at large, but no one at SSA lost a job due to downsizing and no jobs were eliminated requiring people to move into lower grade jobs. There was no change in the within grade annual pay raise scheme, or appraisal system. Our commissioner remained a pr**k and there was less hiring for replacements and I do recall being busier during the Reagan years, but that made the day move faster. I did a lot of worrying for nothing.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:01 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times
Quote:
in that case, how are govt workers paid more than similar private sector workers?

At least at the higher educated level, private sector pulls ahead.
Let me think... I was a government worker, who was responsible for ensuring that the private sector workers who worked for the federal contractor (which was a private company doing business with the federal government) were being treated by their employer in accordance with labor laws and the requirements of the contract. In other words, I was paid to make sure that private sector employees were not cheated by their employer, that the contractor didn't cheat the tax payers, and that the employer actually did what the contract stated in terms of its employees.

As a person with an appropriate master's degree, knowledgeable about labor laws and the terms of a number of contacts, I was paid roughly half what the people on the other side of the table were paid.

Whole lot of responsibility without commensurate level of pay. Not only that, constant budget cuts, constant hiring freezes so that I took on more and more duties as people left for greener pastures, pay freezes, and even having to work without pay occasionally because my job was not part of the government shutdowns that would happen because Congress couldn't be bothered to actually do their job.

But, hey, I was one of those lazy, uneducated people on the government dole that trump and his gang of trumpists derides. Protecting the interests of the tax payer must have had perks other than money, but I'll be darned if I can remember what they were. So glad I'm outa there now.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:05 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Let me think... I was a government worker, who was responsible for ensuring that the private sector workers who worked for the federal contractor (which was a private company doing business with the federal government) were being treated by their employer in accordance with labor laws and the requirements of the contract. In other words, I was paid to make sure that private sector employees were not cheated by their employer, that the contractor didn't cheat the tax payers, and that the employer actually did what the contract stated in terms of its employees.

As a person with an appropriate master's degree, knowledgeable about labor laws and the terms of a number of contacts, I was paid roughly half what the people on the other side of the table were paid.

Whole lot of responsibility without commensurate level of pay. Not only that, constant budget cuts, constant hiring freezes so that I took on more and more duties as people left for greener pastures, pay freezes, and even having to work without pay occasionally because my job was not part of the government shutdowns that would happen because Congress couldn't be bothered to actually do their job.

But, hey, I was one of those lazy, uneducated people on the government dole that trump and his gang of trumpists derides. Protecting the interests of the tax payer must have had perks other than money, but I'll be darned if I can remember what they were. So glad I'm outa there now.
Odd you must have held a very similar job to one a relative held at the state level. She tried to retire about 10 years ago, they couldn't find a replacement so they rehired her. After 2 years more searching they finally upped the salary offer 50% and hired some one 3 months later. That's pretty good indication the job was underpaid by alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment