Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 08:02 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,313,654 times

Advertisements

I assume everyone has them either given to them by a boss or has to come up with them on their own. Can people share some of their goals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 11:15 AM

22,473 posts, read 47,462,257 times
Goals are as varied as the profession you are in!

Old 11-27-2016, 11:17 AM

7,973 posts, read 4,964,806 times
Goals are great to have.. But doesn't make much difference if there aren't opportunities to achieve those goals and no way to move up the ladder because companies would rather operate on skeleton crews and work with the LEAST amount of workers possible instead of investing in its workforce.

You can have all the goals you want. If there are no job openings or opportunities to move up then there are no job openings and opportunities to move up. My company in particular would rather cut positions and some poor sucker will "absorb those responsibilities" into their already full plate as opposed to add positions and grow.

Companies are cheap today. The old excuse is "its not in the budget".. Meanwhile these companies are making RECORD profits. All lies, BS, and nonsense

Old 11-27-2016, 11:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,468,713 times
Do you mean personal career goals or those minor/BS goals people have to put on their annual performance reviews?

Old 11-27-2016, 12:18 PM

3,513 posts, read 7,767,690 times
To get a Cyber security job that pays 120k a year with good benefits within the next 5 years, I currently work in the Cyber security field, but I'm not at the level yet in my career.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:51 PM

Yes basically peformance review goals...but also goals you would find useful too i guess

Old 11-27-2016, 03:56 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,277,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Yes basically peformance review goals...but also goals you would find useful too i guess
Performance goals are the only thing you should be telling your supervisor. Those are created with a discussion with your supervisor. It doesn't matter if you want to accomplish XYZ if your supervisor wants you to do ABC.

Old 11-27-2016, 08:34 PM

He gave me a goal and i did it...other than that he hasnt given me any. He seems to want us to come up with them. He told me once when id been back from maternity leave for a month to be more proactive...basically I just dont think we care for each other. Hes nice...i think he thinks im nice but i can tell he is all set with me and is all about the people who have no life other than work basically. Quite honestly i dont think it's my job to come up with new ideas on how to make processes easier but it seems like that's what he wants. We did talk a little about other jobs at the company and things id like to learn...i feel like getting through my day to day tasks is enough for me right now...but it wouldnt be a bad thing to learn something new

Old 11-27-2016, 09:02 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,968,093 times
Tell him that your goal is to work smart, not hard and long. Tell him that you will try to get through your daily tasks faster by being familiar enough with them that you don't waste time duplicating efforts. If all your daily tasks are very similar, then consider how you could streamline the process you are using to complete them. If your daily tasks are not similar at all, then consider how to order doing them if possible so that one flows from the last more easily.

Use the jargon and make it seem as though you will strive to improve processes even if you don't think there is any real way to do it (though you should always 'think' about that anyway - since not only will it help your company but you as well). Always look at things as positively as possible. You are being negative and it really shows here in your post so I think it may also be very evident at work.

Honestly it doesn't sound as though you like your job at all - and you are content to just bumble along. That may work for you right now, but if someday your boss needs to lay someone off, someone who at least is somewhat proactive about pretending to try to improve processes is likely to stay and from you are telling me, if I were your boss, you might be on the list for being let go.

Old 11-28-2016, 05:37 AM

6,573 posts, read 11,244,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
He gave me a goal and i did it...other than that he hasnt given me any. He seems to want us to come up with them. He told me once when id been back from maternity leave for a month to be more proactive...basically I just dont think we care for each other. Hes nice...i think he thinks im nice but i can tell he is all set with me and is all about the people who have no life other than work basically. Quite honestly i dont think it's my job to come up with new ideas on how to make processes easier but it seems like that's what he wants. We did talk a little about other jobs at the company and things id like to learn...i feel like getting through my day to day tasks is enough for me right now...but it wouldnt be a bad thing to learn something new
You mention 'career goals', but it's pretty evident your just talking about annual goals from a performance evaluation standpoint. Without knowing what you do and what your role at the company is, sorta hard to provide examples. In a very general sense, just do a google search for SMART goals, and use that as a guideline on how your goals should be worded.

That said - whether or not it's actually in your job description to come up with better ways to do XYZ is irrelevant. The key here is whether or not you want to move up in your career. If so, then you probably would be doing yourself a favor by putting in some effort to understand the processes you are responsible for and make them better where applicable. For one, you make your own job easier. And it also add another feather in your cap.

Of course, if you are simply looking to do your time and get paid. Then I guess you don't need to do anymore than what's absolutely necessary to keep your job. But then also don't expect raises, promotions, opportunities thrown your way, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment