Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 08:04 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,576,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
McDonald's of course will claim that it will mean doom and gloom if they have to pay their workers more. That is very predictable. Meanwhile, McDonald's operate in plenty of other countries with much higher compensation costs for their employees and make a profit. But they dont want Americans to know about it.
Look, I support an increase in the FMW. Let Seattle or SF or NY raise it higher because of course the COL is higher there, but Borger, Texas does not need one. As for McDonald's, who would actively supporting doubling of a key cost - like labor ? Yes McDonald's makes it work in Aus, UK, France, Russia, China, India, and plenty of places where the costs are both higher and lower than the USA. They manage by raising prices.

If you think the Government should legislate the standard of living then go see how well it works in the places that try that - Oz, France, Sweden, etc. Govt workers get $30+ hr while they sit around; the rich/1% are the government bureaucrats who cheat, commute in limos and fly first class everywhere they go.

The US government would probably need to fall before such a system would become widespread here. If anything, we have moved backwards as far as the social safety net is concerned and the next four years are going to be very telling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 08:48 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Abolish the minimum wage . Government can dictate the wages they pay employees but they shouldn't be telling private employers what to pay . These laws are also horrible for youth unemployment and as we know young people are more likely to get in trouble if they aren't kept busy .

Old 12-03-2016, 08:53 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,954,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Look, I support an increase in the FMW. Let Seattle or SF or NY raise it higher because of course the COL is higher there, but Borger, Texas does not need one. As for McDonald's, who would actively supporting doubling of a key cost - like labor ? Yes McDonald's makes it work in Aus, UK, France, Russia, China, India, and plenty of places where the costs are both higher and lower than the USA. They manage by raising prices.
I already gave you the link which shows that the Big Mac costs less in France, UK, Denmark and Australia than America after you claimed it was super expensive to buy a burger and fries there. Are you open to the possibility that the threats of mass unemployment and huge price increases could be corporate propaganda? Is it possible? Remember, 90% of all media in America is owned by just 6 corporations with a vested interests in keeping workers desperate and financially insecure.

What is the price of prescription drugs, child care, higher education and air fares in Borger, Texas? What is the public transit like in Borger, Texas? America is really not that cheap, even in Borger, Texas. Cost of living is high everywhere in America and the minimum wage should reflect that. $15 an hour by 2020 should be the bare minimum floor and let other states push for higher levels (the bay area should be at least $20 an hour).

The question we have have to ask ourselves is whether our government should serve the people or the donor class. That is the big question. So far, the people seem to support the idea that the donor class should get first priority and the working class should suffer. But how long can this go on? We know we are heading for 4 more years of increased inequality and with increased inequality comes weakened democracy as the donor class will have even more power to buy the political system and rig the economy to their advantage.

Last edited by PCALMike; 12-03-2016 at 09:02 AM..

Old 12-03-2016, 08:57 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,954,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Abolish the minimum wage . Government can dictate the wages they pay employees but they shouldn't be telling private employers what to pay . These laws are also horrible for youth unemployment and as we know young people are more likely to get in trouble if they aren't kept busy .
Thats the same argument that was used to defend child labor.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:39 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
That is incorrect, go this calculator, type in $15000 and put in Texas and take a look at your results. Is it free? No, but it is almost free. And I did say that in some states you will get a subsidized rate.

Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
whoa...you were talking about MEDICAID, not subsidized policies through the ACA, remember? Yes in a state that did not expand medicaid, with a 15k annual income you can buy a policy through the ACA and get a subsidy, but the plan has a $3300 deductible which is 1/4 of your annual income, that's real useful, isn't it?

Old 12-03-2016, 09:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
If they want to replace everyone with machines, that's fine, as long as they don't complain
when it turns out no one can use them; it's hard to have consumers if no one can afford to
consume.

-
I agree, they are in effect reducing the players in the economy. There are just too many people for far too few jobs despite costs increasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSweeney View Post
When I started work in the late 70s, my minimum wage job afforded me a room in a shared house, bus fare, scant groceries, but not to malnourishment, and a few dollars left over for "discretionary."
To reach the same standard today, adjusted for inflation, the minimum would have to be something like $14.85.
I'm so glad people think full time workers should starve and go homeless! (Sarcasm)
Were on strike today, so go **** yourself.
Make your own burger.
Exactly. Costs are far higher today. And it is far harder to get a real second job unless you have M-F 9-5 work or can schedule yourself. Not enough companies allow for this today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
An article in Entrepreneur has a more hopeful take on the situation:

"... equipment is not expected to reduce the number of workers in restaurants, since
traditional order takers would be redeployed to help customers learn to operate kiosks
and to deliver food to tables."

-
Yes it will. Until we know how to do it, then they'll only keep one or two on tops. Just look at Walmart or supermarkets with these for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post

I believe it but with kiosks you will not earn a penny. Don't pretend the $15/hr isn't responsible in some way for the disappearance of jobs.
In some cases, YES. In other cases, NO. Kiosks have been a way to cut costs even back before the wage push. It's just the technology has gotten to a reliable point. I've used them in Disney World some 10 years ago when they were testing it out at Magic Kingdom's Paco Bill's Tall Tale Inn and I liked it for one single order for myself. Now seven years later, I again used them at Disney World and it was harder because of special orders and multiple orders for the rest of my family. Luckily we had a worker (Disney calls them cast members) help us with the special orders. These workers were part of the team since it was a location that would go from a fast casual quick service location to a sit-down table service location, so these weren't exactly added workers.

Quote:
The US has shipped out thousands of good paying jobs overseas and replaced them with low-paying service sector jobs the last 10 years. For Example, Ford is moving all small car production to Mexico and if Trump doesn't persuade them otherwise, they will move production there eventually. Why should an American icon like Ford have to move outside the US?
Ford and other auto-makers have been moving jobs for YEARS. It's not anything new. Some of these closures go back to corporate takeovers of the 1980's forcing companies like Goodyear to buyout corporate raiders and close plants in the process to fund the buyout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappjohn View Post
The Trump team just persuaded Carrier to stay in the US and instantly saved 1000 good paying jobs. It only took a phone call that Obama would never make.

Mr. Trump should talk to McDonalds, it wouldn't hurt!
Yes, through tax cuts. Whatever happened to his "hardline tarrif increases"? Oh wait, he's already proven he is business as usual. Obama did this it's just that many companies cut the jobs and didn't plan on opening new plants, Trump had a company closing a CURRENTLY USED plant. Gimme a break. Trump's first policy move proves he is a farce like I always knew...

Old 12-03-2016, 09:51 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times
A Big Mac in Australia costs the same as one in the US and we all know Australia has one of the highest minimum wages.

The oligarchy just wants to keep wages as low as possible and stagnant.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:19 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Lol Trump saved jobs. It's a PR stunt. Mike Pence is the sitting governor of Indiana for another month and a half. They're basically going to give Carrier a free ride on taxes for however long Pence can deliver. Then they'll outsource those jobs when the tax breaks go away.
Their employees will be paying all kinds of taxes as do most working class people. If Carrier left now they would be paying no taxes to Indiana AND neither would the (Mexican) employees working for them.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:20 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
It would not be the end of the world is the cost of a big mac goes up. It's like some of you are eating there everyday. When i was growing up a trip to a restaurant of a FF joint was an occasional luxury. If you can't afford it, better to cook at home from scratch.
Eating at Mcdonalds is not exactly heathly either.
Some people feel like they need an expensive lifestyle they know they cant afford.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:23 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So basically, no people did not vote for Trump because they did not want to increase the minimum wage. And I hate to keep telling you this, but there was more than a phone call involved in the 'saving' of 1,000 jobs...Trump gave Carrier "state incentives" ...something that is done every day, all over the country and in this case he was able to pull it off quickly because his VP is Governor of Indiana and has access to the states check book
And I hate to keep telling you this, but it all starts with a phone call which is a phone call that neither Obama nor Hillary was interested in making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment